Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WASD mode
Using arrow keys in conjunction with a right-handed mouse is not ergonomic, so I suggest we add a WASD mode for greater comfort and efficiency (easier to press the alt and ctrl keys for examining and dragging).

I have played on servers where the player can press the Tab key to enter a hotkey mode, where WASD and other keys are changed to hotkeys (for actions such as moving) and the T key is used as a hotkey for "say", which allows the user to speak with the full range of letter keys.

I am not saying that goonstation should conform to the standards of other servers, but it is worth noting how others have gone about implementing an ergonomic mode that allows for WASD movement.
Arrows allow you to type and run for your life at the same time.
So get with the new now kid, it started like 8 years ago.
This suggestion had been made an infinite amount of times and will continue to be made it seems!! Heh.
Nubcake Wrote:This suggestion had been made an infinite amount of times and will continue to be made it seems!! Heh.

wow maybe that's a sign it'd be useful and actually used?

I mean AT THE VERY LEAST you could have contributed as to why you wouldn't want this feature instead of being stuck up?
Can we please add this to a "NEVER SUGGEST THIS AGAIN" thread? WASD in a heavily social game is dumb.
It's a valid point. I've gotten used to it by now, but using the arrow keys and mouse is kind of awkward(which is probably why every game ever except this one uses WASD) so I can see why someone would want the option.

And I think the old reason for not adding it was "We can't add hotkeys" but then later on they added a bunch of hotkeys anyway somehow so welp
Lmao cue hilarious screen shots of horribly murdered assistants with "wwwwwsssssddssddaaaaawwwww" typed into their chat bars.
Dauntasa Wrote:And I think the old reason for not adding it was "We can't add hotkeys" but then later on they added a bunch of hotkeys anyway somehow so welp

Please note that they're not actually hotkeys as you'd expect them to be - it's not defined as "IF DUDE PRESSES PAGE DOWN, USE ITEM". Instead, diagonal movement is redefined - southeast is Use, northeast is Switch Hands, northwest is Drop and, well southwest is southwest (check the layout of the "hotkeys" on the numpad).
Only scrubs and nerds can't use the robust arrow key system.
It would need to be optional, so everyone can use their favorite system.
Marquesas Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:And I think the old reason for not adding it was "We can't add hotkeys" but then later on they added a bunch of hotkeys anyway somehow so welp

Please note that they're not actually hotkeys as you'd expect them to be - it's not defined as "IF DUDE PRESSES PAGE DOWN, USE ITEM". Instead, diagonal movement is redefined - southeast is Use, northeast is Switch Hands, northwest is Drop and, well southwest is southwest (check the layout of the "hotkeys" on the numpad).
I got that, I was talking about the Alt-Click and middle mouse button ones.
TheRedScare Wrote:Only scrubs and nerds can't use the robust arrow key system.
This guy knows what's up