Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiding in walls
One thing that's bugged me for a while now: Walls can't hide shit! By which I mean sticking something on top of something else hides it quite effectively. Building a grate on a PDA blocks you from seeing it. Dropping a piece of metal on a bomb provides a quick hiding spot if you're in a rush. But whenever you build a wall over something, the wall automatically becomes a part of the bottom layer, and instantly reveals everything that was on that tile.

I don't know exactly how the code works, but just think of the possibilities if walls could somehow be shifted to the top layer, instead of the bottom! Want to hide something? Build a wall on top of it! There's a bomb somewhere in engineering, start checking the walls! Sure, it'd be a really effective hiding place, but it also wouldn't be an easy one. You have to tear down the original wall, drop your thing, and hope nobody sees you while you're rebuilding the blatantly missing piece of station. What's more, Optical-Meson sensors let you see through walls. Let them see under walls too! Pubby McShitlord has hidden his stash of bodies in a secret wall in the pod bay, good thing Johnny McRobust was wearing his mesons while he built his pod!
That sounds a little overpowered, since nobody really gives a SHIT if you're taking down a wall in goonstation.
A wall is a turf, it is by definition the bottom visible layer.
I can only imagine that anything wall-mounted such as buttons, fire alarms and so on would be completely messed up by the update.
This would just lead to shits hiding bombs in walls everywhere just because they can.
On a similar tangent, maybe we could make hidden door/walls hide what is placed on the floor tile after the door/wall is closed? In example would be the room near the AI on Mushroom station. Imagine being able to dump a body on that tile and have it only appear with thermals/opening the hidden door/wall. If THIS was implemented, sure, peeps could hide things better, but the work to take down/set up would be cut in half, and more so if you use one already made. It would be handy when you need a quick place to drop some items/bodies and it's not so OP, seeing as how someone may open it and uncover your 'stash'.