Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clones and Fingerprints
Now I'm a relatively new player, and even more relatively new Detective, and I think I saw something that had the DNA signature of a Geneticist, but did not look like, or have the name of the Geneticist that I was familiar with previously, and I noticed that it also had the same fingerprints as the original Geneticist. Now if this wasn't somehow still the original Geneticist and I'm just dumb, do the clones in the game keep the same fingerprints of the other iterations of that person, and if they do, should they? I was wondering about how fingerprints are made, and how I've heard the informational tidbit that even twins, who share essentially identical DNA structures, don't share identical fingerprints. So yeah. Okay then. Maybe a little clarification. And wondering if this might be a thing. Maybe, maybe not. First post.
It was most likely the original geneticist using the Polymorph power, a genetics power that makes them look like other people. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe clones should have the same DNA/fingerprint as their original counterpart - cloning is pretty much purely for reviving dead people, so barring unlikely circumstances, you're not going to see a guy and his clone running around the station together for the most part.

As to whether they should, it probably overcomplicates things to have a guy generate a new fingerprint every time they're cloned, and sec already has a hard enough time as it is.
I've never really considered this but how do things like polymorph, stable mutagen, and the changeling and vampires transformation abilities relate to DNA and fingerprints. Do you inherit both the DNA/Prints, just one, or neither?
(03-07-2017, 10:17 PM)Roomba Wrote: As to whether they should, it probably overcomplicates things to have a guy generate a new fingerprint every time they're cloned, and sec already has a hard enough time as it is.

But in terms of the "fun" factor...?

We might have to do some research if nobody knows for sure.
Is there anything that changes fingerprints?
I'm almost certain someone who is cloned as "Nearly/somewhat/barely" prefix due to being undercloned has NEW dna.

If someone isn't coming up on the DNA scanner, they are either a monkey, or lack a security profile.

Whether fingerprints/blood remain the same with stuff like stable mutagen, would need to test.
Okay, so all I was looking to do here was suggest the idea of clones that have fingerprints that don't show up in the database. So I can go ahead and delete my account now, right?
Now, how would I go about doing that? Should I just ignore it's existence?
Goodbye, Bob. It was fun while it lasted.
It's like a feeling that the way I want to look at the game is sort of conflicting with the way the idea of a forum wants to look at the game, and it wants to spoil it, and no I don't like it so. See ya.
(03-10-2017, 11:45 PM)Bob Wrote: It's like a feeling that the way I want to look at the game is sort of conflicting with the way the idea of a forum wants to look at the game, and it wants to spoil it, and no I don't like it so. See ya.

Can I order a total overreaction?
does stealing someones arms change your fingerprints

there are often lots of leftover arms laying in the halls or in cloning. you could have 2 other ppls fingerprints rather than your own with a little effort