Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Icky Wiki
I'm sorry. So sorry. I couldn't think of a catchier title.   :FYH:

The wiki is out of date by a goooood bit; it could use some attention. Particularly in pages that have gotten a lot of changes, like Ore Processing and Chemistry.

Some of this we can do ourselves. A lot of it we can't.
What exactly can't be done?
I brought this to the attention on the wiki thread ages ago, that it was extremely out of date.
Then some r00d d00d unstickied the wiki thread. *shakefist
I said I personally would update myself, if people pointed out what needed to be updated, but theres an issue with this when it comes to stuff like testing out what exactly occurs during events, and somethings introduced are slightly buggy and/or constantly being balanced. So coder input on "hey this is actually what happens" instead of me just eyeballing it would be super helpful. Convair used to update the wiki BECAUSE he didn't need to eyeball it, I don't have that luxery, and I just stopped outright because I was getting ZERO help.
The changelog gets some lovin', but what use is that if that doesn't reflect what's in the wiki?

To reiterate: I would do this, but I literally can't do this alone.
Zewaka used to be a good wiki friend, I think, but then we went and make him a coder! Nuts!
i would just like to request that anything encouraging being an apathetic by way of normalizing the crew being lazy and selfish in the wiki be removed. Don't need to encourage them to be a super employee or anything just no more of this "or break in cus (x) department is useless!!" stuff.
(02-16-2017, 09:50 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: What exactly can't be done?

Chemistry is a good example. Proc chances require code access, and secret chems (and their hints, or lack thereof) tend to be left to admins I think.

For something like ore processing it all depends on how much transparency the coders want to give. Chem was made pretty transparent a long time ago. At one point ore processing was too, with regards to materials. Not sure about now.

Oh, and I agree with Dions. Flavor should be carefully considered. 'It was in the wiki' is a common thing to hear.
Since I'm bored and have nothing to do (as in procrastinate) I can look through the wiki and remove that stuff. I'll start off with the job page then departments. I'll edit this post whenever I clear out a page. Of course, still some jokes. Just not asshole-encouraging ones.

And, I have a tendency to easily abandon things I start doing. Hopefully this won't be one of them!

EDITS:

Changed the top of the Job list page to say helpful things. Mainly to not do stupid shit because of the job descriptions.

Added a note to the Staff Assistant page saying to not steal shit, be a dick, break into places, etc.

Janitor page edited.

A few more job pages edited. Really just the first few paragraphs, which is usually the first thing people read.
Been Making a few edits here and there mainly:

Added the Frequencies to the FAQ

Edited the Doctor page so people don't leave cryo tubes on all the time and that the cloner implants people

Added some more info to the FAQ

Updated the changelog
Would certain cosmetic rewards for regular wiki updaters be a good incentive to keep up on that stuff? (special forum custom titles/in-game medals/whatever) Or is that perhaps a bit too elitist?
(02-16-2017, 12:40 PM)Wire Wrote: Would certain cosmetic rewards for regular wiki updaters be a good incentive to keep up on that stuff? (special forum custom titles/in-game medals/whatever) Or is that perhaps a bit too elitist?

Only if they can be mugged for them.
I'd like special statuses for wiki editors, like a mystical light-blue OOC speech that's only 50% less blue than the color of the OOC speech. And a fancy hat. Or permanent access to a special job or two, like journalist or something.
(02-16-2017, 12:40 PM)Wire Wrote: Would certain cosmetic rewards for regular wiki updaters be a good incentive to keep up on that stuff? (special forum custom titles/in-game medals/whatever) Or is that perhaps a bit too elitist?

Special clothes, just for them
[Image: s-l300.jpg]
I wouldn't have problems with it. We already have the contributor medal and nobody pitched a fit. The problem with such things are their requirements, since they're subjective. They also only promote short term behavior, since there's no upkeep requirements.

I could see some nerd coming to like being seen as 'that wiki person', and doing it just 'cause that. In that case an actual status might be the most beneficial. Since they'd be directly labeled as a wiki person, the responsibility would be levied directly on them and, if the right people are chosen, they'd feel obligated to keep up that image.
Vitatroll Wrote:I wouldn't have problems with it. We already have the contributor medal and nobody pitched a fit. The problem with such things are their requirements, since they're subjective. They also only promote short term behavior, since there's no upkeep requirements.

I could see some nerd coming to like being seen as 'that wiki person', and doing it just 'cause that. In that case an actual status might be the most beneficial. Since they'd be directly labeled as a wiki person, the responsibility would be levied directly on them and, if the right people are chosen, they'd feel obligated to keep up that image.

Yeah this. Like what are the goalposts for this kind of thing? Not a bad idea per se, but what happens when the wiki is completely up to date? Can anyone then avail of the medal?

In otherwords, I have created a wikipage called outdated pages.
Here's the link:
https://wiki.ss13.co/Outdated_Pages
Fairly straightforward format, just add to the list any pages are not up to scratch! I've already added 3 pages!
Way to do it is edit page and add:

==Outdated Page Title==
[[Outdated Page Link]]

Reason for why it's outdated

.. do you think this is a good way to go about it?

Edit: There's actually a much much quicker way of going about this
https://wiki.ss13.co/Category:Outdated
By going into pages, and literally just tagging them {{outdated}} at the top, it will add to this page. Less detail as to what's done, but you always add what's needed to be done on the discussion page
Im working on fixing the QM page ill edit this when im finished.
Edit: its halfway done ill have to finish it later tonight