Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tank Transfer Bombs Suggestion
So right now, making a tank transfer bomb basically amounts to

1) Get that mix
2) Get Hot Gas
3) ????
4) Boom

I'd like to see if tank transfer bombs could be made more diverse in their effects! Basically, the four main variables of a tank transfer bomb are as follows:

1) Mix
2) Moles of gas
3) Temperature
4) Pressure

Now, three of these variables are linked (PV = nRT), but let's just forget that for a moment. I'd like to see toxins scientists be able to study different mixes and gas-exchange techniques to be able to vary the behaviour of bombs. For instance, my suggested variable relationships are something like this:

1) Mix -> Speed (With a speed of infinity meaning dud)
2) Moles of Gas -> Potency/Blast Radius
3) Temperature -> Damage to Mobs (With a minimum temperature for an explosion, obviously)
4) Pressure -> Damage to Turfs

This is all like, a very loose suggestion that is very, very prone to change in implementation, since all I'm trying to do is get out the concept; what it basically boils down to is that you could adjust your bomb-making techniques for different purposes. For example, you might find a way to make a high pressure-temperature ratio bomb with high potency that destroys walls and floors but does minimal damage to people in and of itself, or maybe a Low pressure-temperature ratio bomb with a medium potency that gibs people (which would happen if the damage variable ended up exceeding 200 or something) but hardly scorches the floor tiles.

Pros:
1) A minor nerf to bomb-making that would still enable all the behaviors of bombs currently implemented but would limit their capacity to do it all at once (High potency bombs with large radiuses of turf-destruction will naturally do smaller damage to people and allow them to get away to safety, while bombs that have the ability to gib people will naturally have low potency and will be harder to make holes with).

2) Would expand the concept of bomb-science and toxins research

3) Would naturally increase the amount of time it takes to get the right mix for what you want to do

Cons:
1) Might be very difficult to implement in code (Suggestion: Make it work on ratios instead of absolute values)

2) Might be too complicated in general? I don't know if other people enjoy experimenting with toxins mixes as much as I do
this idea is very cool. and moles & pressure & temp are already in the code so... who knows????
The size already depends on all of the factors you mention, so basically what you're suggesting is breaking it down to parts. The problem with the whole concept is that you have relatively little control over the variables in a bomb-making scenario, especially something as wonky in implementation as moles. I'd imagine this would require at least a bit of revision of the atmos code, and since it's already black magic that operates it, I'm not sure any coder would like to touch it.
I've always wanted toxins to be more of an experimental and in depth process than "Mix 3 tanks, place one here, hit ignition, wait, fill container with result". I am fully up for any changes to the formula and think it'd be a welcome difference.