Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Port-A-Brig improvements.
In a recent thread one of the points that was brought up is that the port-a-brig is kinda shit right now. Throw around any idea you have to possibly make it useful.
My personal ideas, coming from someone who has never played security and doesn't plan on doing so for a good while, are as follows:
  • Add the option to have it auto-lock when someone gets stuffed inside. Makes arresting traitorous scum and simple troublemakers that much easier.
  • Make it so people are briefly stunned after being dumped out of the portabrig.
  • If it wouldn't be too overpowered, you could load the portabrig with orange jumpsuits/shoes, shackles, electropacks, tracking/loyalty implants, and the like, and have it replace the items whoever you stuffed inside is wearing, implant them, and take anything else. The items the criminal had on them before will be stored inside the portabrig and can be recovered by anyone with security access. No tedious strip-searching required! Maybe this one could be one of those modules you find in the debris field and can add to the portabrig as an optional upgrade.
I was also running though the idea of letting us send it to medbay as well if we wanted to use it to get a lone hurt and unconscious person away from danger while getting them to a hopefully safe place for healing. Though I for sure need some help fleshing the idea out and even though I posting this idea I don't 100% like it too much. Maybe giving Security access to the port-a-med would be the best answer?
I tend to use the PDA app to lock and unlock it.

I wouldn't want it's use to be completely risk free, so I'm against it stunning someone or being able to remove their items, though I'd be okay with it alerting you somehow if they have contraband on them.

What I'd really like it the ability to boot people out of the pod from the PDA.
I'm okay with completely risk-free arresting, but not processing. Getting caught just means you were sloppy or pissed off so many people that they got out the pitchforks.

So, I'm okay with stunning and a toggle-able autolock setting. I'm also alright with remote ejecting. Hell, I might even be alright with it magically switching out their jumpsuit for an orange one, just so those would be used. Actual strippage? Implants? Nah.
(02-14-2017, 02:05 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I'm okay with completely risk-free arresting, but not processing. Getting caught just means you were sloppy or pissed off so many people that they got out the pitchforks.

So, I'm okay with stunning and a toggle-able autolock setting. I'm also alright with remote ejecting. Hell, I might even be alright with it magically switching out their jumpsuit for an orange one, just so those would be used. Actual strippage? Implants? Nah.

100% agree. A stun would be nice, getting stripped by the portabrig would be horrible. Remote ejecting could be a very risky way of using the portabrig to arrest multiple people at once, which could be fun. The default portabrig home should be more secure for this though.
..I'm against this?
I feel this takes out an element of excitement and uncertainty from the port-a-brig. The routine of making sure you get back in time so the prisoner isnt uncuffed, the ejecting and stunning - sometimes in tandem with another officer -  the positioning of the port-a-brig so the prisoner is still stuck he manages to get free. 

The port-a-brig is already a game over for the prisoner. The tiny window where he can escape is a good thing, it encourages smart use, rather than a lazy "eh press that button to stun him"

Edit: would not be against remote ejecting however! That sounds fun and risky.
Also an autoclothe- prisoner clothing thing has been suggested before, which I'm not against if it doesn't actually strip, just swap their uniform.
I assume the intended use for that feature would be for remote ejecting the crimer into the target location then recalling it, thus enabling you to transfer them without the risk of getting disarmed the moment you eject them.
(02-14-2017, 05:41 AM)Sundance Wrote: ..I'm against this?
I feel this takes out an element of excitement and uncertainty from the port-a-brig. The routine of making sure you get back in time so the prisoner isnt uncuffed, the ejecting and stunning - sometimes in tandem with another officer -  the positioning of the port-a-brig so the prisoner is still stuck he manages to get free. 

The port-a-brig is already a game over for the prisoner. The tiny window where he can escape is a good thing, it encourages smart use, rather than a lazy "eh press that button to stun him"

If the portabrig is used in a smart way there is currently no chance of escape, other than the extraordinary (implants, other bad guy powers) or being given enough time to uncuff. I agree that uncuffing yourself should be just as easy as it is now but I don't really think there is any uncertainty or excitement in smart portabrig use. In fact I have prisoners suicide as soon as they see that I'm being careful in the brig, and I feel it sort of gives the impression I'm going to be really careful in other ways eg taking their stuff.

Edit: somebody on drugs might be able to get away despite the precautions, but I don't think adding a short stun would change this
Maybe have the Port-A-Brig hold a maximum of two people? NanoTrasen loves efficiency, and there's plenty of room left in that cramped spacious tube!
(02-14-2017, 06:01 AM)oblong Wrote: If the portabrig is used in a smart way there is currently no chance of escape, other than the extraordinary (implants, other bad guy powers) or being given enough time to uncuff. 

These two scenarios happen far more frequently than you are giving it credit for. Also, having a backup sec pda is another example. This window of opportunity is vital so that the port-a-brig serves the purpose instead of being a port-a-solitary.

In short:
Autoejection: Sure! Sounds fun and doesn't seem like it would fuck over the prisoner, unless you somehow manage to rig it so the port-a-brig is teleported into a drone nest.
Autostun: No. As outlined above.
Autolock: Already a feature. Check the sec pda
Autoclothe: Not a bad idea, but a bit much for a port-a-brig. Would be quite suitable as a static object in security, near the brig, which swaps instead of strips.
Id also like to have portabrig inject chems into the arrested individual like the sleepers. Its kind of annoying to watch sec beat a minor criminal into crit and then drag them off completely unaware that their suspect is clinging to life as I chase them trying to stabalize the poor sap before the arrest becomes a death sentance
I agree stunning is a bit much, but it's not really beyond the functionality it already has. Stunning -inside- the PAB is just making it lag proof. At least if you're being careful. I mean, flashbangs are a thing.

I'm not really gonna argue for it, because this isn't really something I want as it is something I'm okay with.