Poll: What do you think about the pulling change?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
REVERT REVERT DEATH TO THE FEATURE
25.00%
35 25.00%
Reduce the penalties across the board
7.86%
11 7.86%
Reduce the penalties for all but big stuff
15.00%
21 15.00%
Reduce penalties for just a few things
5.00%
7 5.00%
IT'S FINE AS IS JUST MAYBE SOME TWEAKS
9.29%
13 9.29%
Comedy option
37.86%
53 37.86%
Total 140 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it!
(04-12-2017, 08:45 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 08:42 PM)Mordent Wrote: I'm not going to rise to most of this, but I'd really like to state one thing because it's somewhat the meat of my main reasons for not minding the change, namely the ways to help against it. The bullet-list you discarded is very strongly relevant. One of Ed's main points was that getting people to safety from a breach is now a death sentence because the slow drag speed means you die too. Anything that helps you not succumb to the cold of space is definitely relevant to helping mitigate the problems involved (any of the points noted "high-risk"), and doubly so now that dragging people slows you down (so you're exposed to it longer). If you didn't get that as a takeaway from my point, my bad.

Regarding the crate/locker point, I was talking about using those at/near the scene, not dragging one with me. There are lockers all over.

The point is that you faced those same conditions before the change as you do now. It's just worse now.

Only things that have an explicitly different effect should be considered.

Things are different. Before, you could get away without internals/cold protection and run in to grab someone and get them out pretty quick - sure, there'd be some cold slowdown and you'd take some burn damage, but not enough to be a real problem. Now, some level of preparation is pretty much required if you want to do it without serious risk to yourself, hence my list of things that show there are plenty of ways of dealing with/mitigating the more extreme issue that presents itself.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth regarding this, though, as it's something you obviously hold a very strong opinion over. We both agree that getting people out of depressurised areas is much harder in general - or, at least, requires more preparation - and comes with more risk and more chance that the person in there is going to die due to prolonged exposure. This, combined with the whole "getting people to the brig" are the main points that Ed had issue with. I hoped to illustrate that the first of these wasn't so bad if you were prepared for it and that there are plenty of ways to do so. I will concede that this mostly boils down to "depressurised rooms are a pain, this makes them more so". I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, which is where our opinion differs.

The poll thing I still feel somewhat strongly on. No suggestion was made that the poll results would guarantee changes. At best, it's a way to roughly gauge opinions on the change. If we want to go with using the strawpoll as determining the way to go, 79% of people would not be okay with the thing being reverted outright. That's kind of my point with the poll: it hasn't given you actionable information. If you want to argue "it's still the way to make the most people happy, as any other options has less of a percentage", 42% are for "reduce the penalties to some degree". 19% are for "keep things exactly the same or with minor tweaks". I agree that you can't just add numbers together in the strawpoll because each player could vote in more than one category, but we don't have enough information to go on by virtue of how the poll worked. Ask any good statistician, the data is mostly meaningless/unactionable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - by Mordent - 04-12-2017, 09:00 PM