Poll: What do you think about the pulling change?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
REVERT REVERT DEATH TO THE FEATURE
25.00%
35 25.00%
Reduce the penalties across the board
7.86%
11 7.86%
Reduce the penalties for all but big stuff
15.00%
21 15.00%
Reduce penalties for just a few things
5.00%
7 5.00%
IT'S FINE AS IS JUST MAYBE SOME TWEAKS
9.29%
13 9.29%
Comedy option
37.86%
53 37.86%
Total 140 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it!
If this was meant to prevent speed kidnappings, I don't see the purpose of slowing down the dragging speed of things such as space heaters, air canisters, and literally EVERY tiny item in-game.
Personally, I like the change, as it makes belthell, the forklifts and other underused transport methods more viable.

Whenever I've played QM in the past, it's always been quicker for someone to show up at cargo and grab the crate themselves, which is a bit of a shame, as sending them it off into belt-hell or on a MULE is much more interesting.

Slowing the speed lings can drag bodies is also good, as before they could comfortably reach an airlock to absorb in space, before immediately lobbing the corpse into the debris field.
Traitor items such as the Port-a-Puke really needed the faster drag speeds. That thing is just dead weight when you can't actually catch anyone to put into it, and running away from it to catch them is a pretty solid way to get it stolen. One of the janitor's most robust tools, slipping, is made a lot less useful when people can escape from the PaP while on walk.
As a medical doctor, it is quicker and healthier for me to throw patients toward medbay instead of dragging them.
Some stray observations, as ive yet to play, only read the comments:
-Items with wheels should have NO change to speed, as this change should encourage players to use carts instead of lockers and crates (which should have some form of slowdown). The janitor should not be punished for using his cart, nor someone using a breach cart to transport materials.
-This should effect BULKY items only. Any items that are light enough to be picked up should have NO effect. That makes ZERO sense otherwise, even taking realism into account.
- Improvements to existing forms of heavy transport is definitely needed. 
- People who are standing can be pulled with no change to speed.
- The two jobs that use pulling: security and medical need to be accounted for. There's two scenarios which both of these face the former faces conscious assholes, the latter faces unconscious assholes.
- For security, there should be a special action you can do to those who are cuffed, grab intent while pulling forces them to their feet if they are lying down. They can only lie down again if they've broken free from the pull. Simple and effective, without the need for more tool bloat. You should be able to do this if they are stunned, but not if they are unconscious.
- For medical, this is different as the player is on the ground because they are injured and/or unconscious. Medical, IMO, unlike security, are in need for more expertise tools. A medical gurney, suggested previously is a great idea. It should be able to be stored in a bag, clicking it inhand should deploy it, dragging the player to it secures them in it, allowing to be pulled at normal speeds. The player is not strapped in like a chair, them moving will cause them to eject from the gurney. A straightjacket and this on the otherhand...

Im not against this idea, as it stands on paper. But grifflez getting irked at it is worrying, seen as hes mostly levelheaded. I agree with the sentiment that more than 3 lines of code needs to be committed for such a fundamental change, you could argue that this isn't really that fundamental, but its quite an integral part of the game.
Wow a lot of shit can happen while one sleeps. My thoughts (that have probably all been stated, but whateva):

- The initial idea behind the idea isn't bad at all. It would change tactics all around - and that's nice because shit's been real stale. Naturally this takes people out of their comfort zone since people don't like to adapt, even if this were executed perfectly. This is why I'm not voicing how much I like/dislike this yet.

- The execution is extremely hacky. I can still push things at the same speed. I can still throw things the same distance. If I want to get somebody to medbay, I might want to put them in a locker or strap them to a chair and push em'. Or I might just throw they ass all the way there. At current, the feature doesn't really add anything but tedium and confusion because of this.

- I understand this was added to specifically target some aspects of gameplay considered bad - this is a good thing. Nothing is worse than realism for realism's sake in a non-sim. It just needs to be consistent and tweaked with an eye towards gameplay over anything else.
Can we have the mobile sleeper from the void brought into medbay along with a corresponding pda app like the porta nanomed? It hovers so it should be able to move bodies very quickly (not to mention being able to teleport them to meebay port a sci style)
Port-a-medbay would be nice. MDs seem to use the PDA remotes well enough.

'sides, I miss the thing.
I should be able to build a lasso and pull items with it
(02-13-2017, 06:49 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Port-a-medbay would be nice. MDs seem to use the PDA remotes well enough.

'sides, I miss the thing.

changelog

also done
I've committed more lines of code for y'all.  We're up to at least eight!!!

(Please note that it was three lines of code to add the delay to movement because the movement delay system is very good and easy to expand.  Grayshift did not only commit three lines of code for this.  Judging the change based on what you heard the total amount of code added was is dumb, please stop quoting that number like it means anything (it doesn't))

e: Also, here's a gif of the current delays for things for those who haven't seen them in-game.  The timing of the frames might be very subtly off due to how the video capture is, but it's roughly the same as you'd experience it in-game.
http://i.imgur.com/ww6bDUX.gifv
While I understand that sometimes people would be shitters and steal prisoners, most of the time when I saw a cuffed prisoner break free it was from someone accidentally bumping into either the officer or the prisoner with the wrong intent on. Of course that's just personal anecdote.
(02-13-2017, 10:17 AM)lambskin Wrote: While I understand that sometimes people would be shitters and steal prisoners, most of the time when I saw a cuffed prisoner break free it was from someone accidentally bumping into either the officer or the prisoner with the wrong intent on. Of course that's just personal anecdote.

Yeah being bumped while dragging something was always annoying. If pulls can be made more secure that would be great. I know you can kinda grab to get a better hold of people.

Being able to pull/lift things with two people working together would be great.
The Port a nano med should be faster to pull, considering it's floating, Trays and the medbay beds as well
(02-13-2017, 09:29 AM)Haine Wrote: please stop quoting that number like it means anything (it doesn't))
People are quoting it because that statement was used to shut down complaints about the change. If more lines of code were used cool, great, but the impression people were getting was that that number was significant because it was the entire point of an admin post.