Poll: What do you think about the pulling change?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
REVERT REVERT DEATH TO THE FEATURE
25.00%
35 25.00%
Reduce the penalties across the board
7.86%
11 7.86%
Reduce the penalties for all but big stuff
15.00%
21 15.00%
Reduce penalties for just a few things
5.00%
7 5.00%
IT'S FINE AS IS JUST MAYBE SOME TWEAKS
9.29%
13 9.29%
Comedy option
37.86%
53 37.86%
Total 140 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it!
I really, really do not like this. It causes way more problems than it fixes. I'm in favor of reverting.
Said in IRC this change was made cause no one uses the other transportation equipment. I would rather they made that stuff better first then made balance changes afterwards.

Or not bother making this change at all. It's going to make security more of a pain to play then it is already and take even more time to get people brigged. Yes I use the port-a-brg but I can only put one person in it at a time.
(02-12-2017, 08:46 PM)poland spring Wrote: I don't get why this became a thing when there's so much other stuff that actually adds to fun that could have been worked on

this change was brought to you by literally 3 lines of code
Agreeably this change makes it easier to deal with people dragging away people security arrest but it's a tad too slow. Sometimes as well I have to drag knocked out people and other officers to safety and this as it is now makes it so I have to leave them behind if I want to live. I'm thinking about this change from a security and survival point of view.
I'm going to have to mess around with this in the game before I pass judgement, but I can see benefits to it. 

It'll probably be a lot harder for a traitor or ling to nab you and space you, for instance.

Improving the speeds of things like forklifts is one thing that might be helpful.

Maybe if there was also a way for more than one person to drag the same thing and increase the speed? Two Sec officers (Or a sec and a opportunistic staff assistant) shouldn't have any problem dragging someone away.

Plus there oughta be a difference between dragging a prone body and someone standing on their feet. I can imagine people being arrested going dead weight out of spite though
[Image: 9c4660ac754011f188a29675e05e79b8.png]
this stuff, also: please make muscle enhancement/hulk make your drag speed Big and Huge Again
also please:
- speed up mulebots (you plan to do that)
- add dollies (even if it needs spritework)
other ideas

OTHERWISE I THINK THIS IDEA DOES HAVE LEGITIMATE MERIT BUT YOU GOTTA MAKE THE REST OF THE GAME NOT SUCK AS A RESULT OF IT
i dont think this is all bad. for example, it will make it slightly more challenging for changeling masters to abduct people in the wink of an eye
(02-12-2017, 10:25 PM)misto Wrote: i dont think this is all bad. for example, it will make it slightly more challenging for changeling masters to abduct people in the wink of an eye

I will admit that I'm very happy this quashes the prevalence of hit strategies such as "Changeling Dragfuck" and "Handcuff Drag Rodeo Shuffle"
(02-12-2017, 10:04 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Said in IRC this change was made cause no one uses the other transportation equipment. I would rather they made that stuff better first then made balance changes afterwards.

A change should not force players to use items. A change should make players want to use items not just because they are forced to but because it will give them a edge in the game for the task they are doing and even if they don't use the items that's not a bad thing, as even if a small amount of players use a item then it's a good thing as it means they are robust then all of them and can think outside the box. But effectively punishing the whole playerbase cause certain items don't get used is wrong and strongly goes against the freedom of goonstation. As a example People loved the new movement update cause it added new things. It did not take away from their enjoyment of the game. Anything that slows down the gameplay of our server should be seen as a bad thing.

EDIT: These realism changes are getting out of hand. They are coming from a good place but not much thought is being put into them before they get put in the game and that's a issue if I've ever seen one. Realism has it's place in space station but fun should not be sacrificed for it over the overall enjoyment of the game. If any of us wanted this type of stuff we'd would play ultra realistic games.
(02-12-2017, 10:29 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 10:25 PM)misto Wrote: i dont think this is all bad. for example, it will make it slightly more challenging for changeling masters to abduct people in the wink of an eye

I will admit that I'm very happy this quashes the prevalence of hit strategies such as "Changeling Dragfuck" and "Handcuff Drag Rodeo Shuffle"

Throwing is still a thing. This just punishes newer players that don't know this and makes security an even less entertaining job. No one is going to want to spend 20 minutes dragging a bad dude to the brig. This was NOT well thought out change. This slower dragging speed also punishes you for trying to help injured/dead people you find on their way to the medbay. Why the hell should people be punished with a slow, time consuming crawl when they're dragging some poor bastard to the medbay/cloning?
I guess I can understand realism changes like medical chem names and removing poo but this is really edging into Cataclysmbig grinDA levels

Like pretty much everyone else has been saying if you want to do something to make the game more difficult make sure there are other systems in place to allow us to actually deal with it. Three lines of code is not enough.
I have taken feedback from this thread to increase the speed of the MULE by 200%
I have two concerns, though I will preface this by saying that I didn't get the chance to try out the new mechanic myself (and won't be able to until after Ass Day.) 

1. There needs to be a way for any crewmember to transport crates with reasonable speed.
I'm not sure if this is the case already, but I think that pushing crates should be faster than pulling them. The lack of control while doing this should work in gameplay terms rather well; trying to set up a long, straight line of unimpeded tiles to push across and stuff like that sounds suitably SS13 to me.

This turns out to be the case already.

2. Medics need a fast, non-fiddly way to get injured people moving.
Currently, I believe the medical PDA has a really bad med scanner on it that's activated when you use it on someone. Instead, I propose that the Medbay starts with a number of Port-a-Gurneys that can be assigned to your PDA by using it on the Port-a-Gurney (one gurney can be assigned to multiple PDAs this way.) You'd get an output like this:

You assign the Port-a-Gurney to your PDA. Current connected PDAs: 2.

This will allow you to shop around for a relatively unpopular gurney. Later, when you use your PDA on a player who is prone or resting, the gurney is called to your location and put underneath the player, allowing you to move them instantly. If the gurney is currently in use already, your PDA will make a noise and let you know.

Something similar is already being worked on.

This change seems fine to me, tbh.

EDIT: Got a few seconds of hands-on time before Ass Day made it impossible (seriously, what awful timing) but I managed to test most of what I wanted.

Bodies are fine. It feels fine how slow it is, particularly if you use your Sprint button.
Wheeled Objects are not. Welding tanks are as slow as bodies are, and could use a boost.
Small, hand-held objects like toolboxes should not slow you down at all. This is just annoying and doesn't contribute to the balance benefits this change brings.
Add a space stretcher or two in north med bay, along with a dead cart to the morgue and chaplain. Give the dead cart a bell.
I feel bodies could be change to move just a tad higher. We are almost at the sweet spot for them in my opinion. Also sprinting drains stamina so fast that it's hardly makes a difference.