Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fart as a chem
I was discussing some of the more esoteric chem recipes with some friends and it occurred to me that farts ( and even general purpose methane ) are not one of them. Considering all sorts of hobo chem can be done with odd table scraps, unsightly fluids and unorthodox recipes, I think it would be nice to have fart / methane as an alternative fuel with a few odd production methods. 

The idea being that in a pinch, one could perhaps get a few extra seconds use out of a welder or a lighter, at the cost of very loudly announcing their position and the conspicuous text. Small amounts of fart could be collected with the emote, maybe only 1-5 units randomly. 

Additionally, it should be possible to synthesize in larger quantities by mixing carbon and hydrogen in a container in the presence of synthflesh as a catalyst ( not consumed, but really how can you make a fart without meat ). Perhaps adding more trace gasses like nitrogen, oxygen and compost to make "fart" versus just methane. 

I saw that one other member had already suggested something about air hookups and ripping into them, but it seemed useless other than for gross-out factor. I think treating methane as a combustible gas or chem would actually add something to the chem system, and it's not that much of a stretch considering the use of urine and compost in jenkem.
Would this make frozen farts contain farts?
feed methane into furnaces and engine to burn for energy
you know you are too far in to ss13 when you make a post suggesting how to make farts better
ever since farts were nerfed to no longer serve as propellant in space theyve needed a buff
(02-10-2017, 10:06 PM)misto Wrote: ever since farts were nerfed to no longer serve as propellant in space theyve needed a buff

I forgot about that. That oughta come back as a mutation
(02-10-2017, 10:10 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 10:06 PM)misto Wrote: ever since farts were nerfed to no longer serve as propellant in space theyve needed a buff

I forgot about that. That oughta come back as a mutation

I've lowkey wished for that to be added to high decay digestion. Just for that one instance of a changeling escaping with their farts, leaving a trail of puffs behind them. "HE WENT THATAWAY! LET'S DRILL THAT ASS, SOLDIERS!"
i just gagged thinking of harvesting those fart tiles that get left behind if you have high decay digestion for fart chems

also a day without vitatroll making double entendres would be like a day without air
To be honest i've been deeply caught between wanting fart as an atmos gas, and wanting it as a hard chem.
Maybe both really. Imagine repressurising a hull breach with a whole heap of staff assistants and some bean burritos.
(02-11-2017, 05:32 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote: To be honest i've been deeply caught between wanting fart as an atmos gas, and wanting it as a hard chem.
Maybe both really. Imagine repressurising a hull breach with a whole heap of staff assistants and some bean burritos.

I laughed pretty hard at that. How about if they used empowered superfarts, the ensuing detonation should release enough methane to repressurize everything from botany through to the chapel!
Yeah exactly. Of course then you have to scrub and all, considering there's not much oxygen in a rip.
Still, it puts the chef on par with floorbots for antag cleanup.
remember that methane build up can be dangerous my friends :3 especially if someone lights a match
Fill an extinguisher with farts, hold a lit match in your other hand, hobo flamethrower.
(02-11-2017, 05:32 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote: To be honest i've been deeply caught between wanting fart as an atmos gas, and wanting it as a hard chem.

farts: the secret of plasma
(02-11-2017, 10:36 PM)shotgunbill Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 05:32 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote: To be honest i've been deeply caught between wanting fart as an atmos gas, and wanting it as a hard chem.

farts: the secret of plasma

The emote text already allows for farts of pure plasma, so is it really so much of a stretch to add 1-5 units of plasma to the tile when it happens? 

This could be the future of nanotrasen for all we know. Corporate sends their top men to man a high tech research station, they all die, get replaced with a bunch of gassy idiots, they fart unobtanium, collect it, coprorate success. It's Shakespeare really! 

So here's some rough idears on synthesis of methane

Code:
1 part CO2, 
4 parts Hydrogen, 
Heat to some arbitrary amount idk lets say 549K
Has to be done with an excess of CO2 or it'll produce a fireball. 

we can ignore the production of water because space fart simulator who cares. 

Methane is fairly flamable, maybe 20-50% as much as plasma? Minor TOX damage, and obviously causes suffocation if no oxygen present. great. Methane can possibly be used to synthesize oils or fuels

Then the synthesis of a fart: 

Code:
6 Nitrogen, 
2 Hydrogen, 
1 CO2,
1 Methane,
1 Oxygen. 
1 Synthflesh ( non consumed, catalytic reaction ). Occurs at room temperature. 

Slightly worse TOX damage, causes LOSEBREATH on Touch or Ingest, Just a little BRAIN on application if theres already some in the metabolism. Being (chemgrenade) farted on many times will degrade your sanity. Less flamable than straight methane but more toxic. 

Alternatively perhaps something involving adding compost to the bar still? 
I'm not well versed in how chem recipes actually work in BYOND so i'm probably not on the ball of what's possible.