Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombs are horrible. Let's nerf bombs.
you do get the occasional genius who barrels into a plasmastone vein in the cutter pod but plasmastone veins are much smaller and generally only set off about two or three explosions

i think that's what happens, anyway? there's definitely the occasional multi-explosion chain from the mining level
I honestly see no problems with bombs. To start with it should be fairly obvious when a bombing is coming. If the RD is doing their job which they obviously never are then they would know if somebody is working in toxins for the purpose of making bombs rather than fueling the engine, something that should really be more suspicious on cogstation.
And if the RD is the traitor then the station was doomed from the get go anyway.

Seriously, anyone with access to make bombs already has access to the most dangerous department on the station so it's probably better they spent their time making bombs rather than horrible lag creating death foam.

Also, there should really be a more practical way for traitors to make use of artifact bombs rather than it just happening...
Darth Various Wrote:
mozi Wrote:an impassable space void that is too laggy for anyone to ever want to bother patching up

The lag is the real problem here. I know exactly when a bomb* goes off on the station even if I don't see or hear it, because that's when everything grinds to a halt and it suddenly takes several seconds to take a single step.

*)Or an erebite chain reaction in the roid field I guess. Do we still have those?

This is being worked on by several coders. I found a fun thing in explosion code recently... anytime an explosion was going off, even in deep space, it'd force a rebuild of the entire power grid. Whoops.
I-Sett Wrote:
mozi Wrote:there's still the RD bomb on Zeta which any skilled teleterrorist can snag in moments *cracks knuckles*

Bah, that's a 3x3. As a wise woman once said: Ain't nobody got time for that.

still pretty destructive. i can name one dude spending his rounds snatching it then lobbing it at suspected traitors.

BlackPhoenix Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:hardcap transfer valve bombs at MAX 7x7, reduce (or remove) RD bomb, it's only there for shitheads to be a shithead with it and it's useless since the singularity is gone, and introduce canister bombs with the ability to scale to 13x13
Lets not cap at 7x7, instead just let Admins do that one thing they always do and is in their position's name. The RD bomb is long gone, replaced by Heisenbee. The fact that you had no idea that the RD bomb was gone sorta makes me doubt your frame of reference.

the fact i have no idea who the fuck you are makes me doubt your frame of reference
it's sort of dumb that you can carry a backpack full of things capable of ripping the station in half, transfer valves should be more surgical
(oh hey the dude didn't know a premade bomb[/bg was taken out surely he knows [b]nothing about bombs)
Yo Marquesas, I can't seem to find where I saved the canisterbomb code, could you PM it to me again?

BlackPhoenix, it's a pretty good bet that Marquesas understands ss13 explosions better than anyone short of the coders, this arguing about 'frames of reference' is dumb as hell, knock it the hell off both of you.

I am leaning towards making transfer valve bombs not fit in backpacks.
They're supposed to be pretty big, aren't they?
Cogwerks Wrote:Yo Marquesas, I can't seem to find where I saved the canisterbomb code, could you PM it to me again?

BlackPhoenix, it's a pretty good bet that Marquesas understands ss13 explosions better than anyone short of the coders, this arguing about 'frames of reference' is dumb as hell, knock it the hell off both of you.

Or somehow give them their own item class and have them take up five backpack slots
ATTN Cogwerks: Forum PMs are disabled. I'll send you the code if you get on IRC.

Klayboxx Wrote:
Cogwerks Wrote:Yo Marquesas, I can't seem to find where I saved the canisterbomb code, could you PM it to me again?

Or somehow give them their own item class and have them take up five backpack slots

I support this. Carry more than one bomb and you have to drag around a locker or a crate making you suspicious as fuck.
Hurray, bombs are now nerfed.
Cogwerks Wrote:Hurray, bombs are now nerfed.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but with all due respect I still think it was unnecessary.
Give it a few days and let's see how it works out.
Marquesas Wrote:The fact i have no idea who the fuck you are makes me doubt your frame of reference

(oh hey the dude didn't know a premade bomb was taken out surely he knows nothing about bombs)
No need to get agressive and shit, Christ. My point was that if you didn't see that the premade bomb was removed and didn't really check before you suggested it be removed, it's possible you'd missed other things too or hadn't seen any real shitty bombers. Bombs are easy, I have no doubt you know how to make them, how to use them, etc.

I'm still of the opinion, however, that admins can handle people who are shitbirds and break the rules (Which includes the Mad Bomber Clause), and that those people shouldn't ruin the things for everyone else. I -would- like to see an in-hand sprite made for bombs that is more obvious, as that is ridiculous.
It think this nerf is fine, it encourages the use of floor closets and stuff, also the fact that you can make it for free without any telecrystals at all, where's a pipe bomb will cost you five or so.
~CRAZY IDEA~

The longer a timer on a bomb, the stronger it'll be.

A bomb on a 5/10 minute timer could take out half the station, but also have more time to be defused.
cue people making a bomb 10 minutes in and putting a 45 minute timer on it and walling it into some obscure place like owlery
MEOW POW Wrote:~CRAZY IDEA~

The longer a timer on a bomb, the stronger it'll be.

A bomb on a 5/10 minute timer could take out half the station, but also have more time to be defused.
That's.... Not how bombs work