Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Give AI shells a magtractor
I've played as a ghost drone a few times recently, and quite liked using the magtractor - it should be a thing for AI shells as well. It'd majorly boost their versatility and ability to aid the crew while not being as strong as a proper remote-control borg frame.

Making it restricted to low-power could be a good modification for the shell version to avoid it getting out of hand, but on the other hand, high-power would be balanced out by the AI shell's wimpy power capacity and would help get past the fact AI shells can't pull anything (which is probably something that should stay, considering their tiny size). This particular choice is up to the implementer.
I like the magtractor and anything that'd make the ai shells more than just a pointy bumper car is fine by me!

Oh please let shells pull things, delivering liquor via laggy locker sokoban was fun a total of once!
I'm down for this. Would allow the AI to take a more proactive role in handling fires and breaches without the need for humans
Speedy, no slip, hard to hit; I've seen those little bastards fuck up lings due to their evasive nature. I'm not at all against it - for it, in fact. I just wanna make sure guns stay out of reach, like with drones.
I'd be down for this, I think the balancing of low/high, already been highlighted by kubius, is something that would limit this and I honestly can't think of anyway an AI could abuse this.

That said no to pulling.
wtf you stole my avatar.

good suggestion tbh
(02-05-2017, 12:53 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Speedy, no slip, hard to hit; I've seen those little bastards fuck up lings due to their evasive nature. I'm not at all against it - for it, in fact. I just wanna make sure guns stay out of reach, like with drones.

Makes sense. A stipulation they can't pick up anything explicitly designed to hurt (guns, spears, C-sabers) would be a logical safeguard, though I don't think I would bar them from wielding reagent containers.
(02-05-2017, 10:17 AM)Kubius Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 12:53 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Speedy, no slip, hard to hit; I've seen those little bastards fuck up lings due to their evasive nature. I'm not at all against it - for it, in fact. I just wanna make sure guns stay out of reach, like with drones.

Makes sense. A stipulation they can't pick up anything explicitly designed to hurt (guns, spears, C-sabers) would be a logical safeguard, though I don't think I would bar them from wielding reagent containers.

This would be true, but afaik they would still be limited (if it's coded the same as the ghostdrone) by the fact that they cannot target mobs, so they would not be able to use a beaker on a human for example.

Which is another good reason to implement imo
(02-05-2017, 11:02 AM)Sundance Wrote: This would be true, but afaik they would still be limited (if it's coded the same as the ghostdrone) by the fact that they cannot target mobs, so they would not be able to use a beaker on a human for example.

Which is another good reason to implement imo

I'd actually want AI shells to be able to apply medical treatment of some form, to assist the station's doctors. Perhaps it could be limited to only allow application of chemicals/medical items from a pre-selected list, akin to the Hypospray's restrictions (no scalpel or circular saw, but sutures and bandages are OK - no pentetic acid, but charcoal and potassium iodide are OK).
AIs already can help out medically with a borg shell. It just takes a bit of human help, which I think is fine.
(02-05-2017, 01:58 PM)Firebarrage Wrote: AIs already can help out medically with a borg shell. It just takes a bit of human help, which I think is fine.

Related to this, giving the shell a magtractor would let the AI build a borg without human aid, which could be helpful in the event of jerk/missing roboticist.
Also in case my previous comment makes it seem like I dont support this - I do support this idea. I think its fine to use the same code used for drones.
I'm against this. If AIs want more power they can request a borg to be made for them.
Magtractors were originally for construction borgs and will likely be given one down the road.
(02-06-2017, 04:23 AM)somepotato Wrote: Magtractors were originally for construction borgs and will likely be given one down the road.

Ahem magtractors were originally made for ghostdrones.
(02-06-2017, 04:23 AM)somepotato Wrote: I'm against this. If AIs want more power they can request a borg to be made for them.
Magtractors were originally for construction borgs and will likely be given one down the road.

Could medical borgs also get magtractors? This would allow them to do limb reattachments, which would be very helpful to the crew.