Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing the AI & Borgs - And why they suck
Breaking News Developing... huge post ahoy! Proceed with caution! Breaking News Developing...
Disclaimer: i wrote this while tired, and im sorry if i wrote something that doesn't make sense/misplaced
(no im not)

An important part of SS13 is the humans robotic counterparts, e.g. robuddies, AI's, and borgs. But as important they are, i think there's room for improvement (read: a ton) However, not much on the coding side.
What i want to discuss is something that has been bugging me for the longest time, it is the players who play these roles, and how they play these roles. This thread is for discussing the stations AI's borgs and other silicon based mobs. Here are my thoughts and discoveries:

The field trip
So instead of talking out my ass like i normally do, i decided go out on a field trip to space, and go hang with the borgs and AI's of the station.
I ghosted around, stalking a borg, for a while, looking for what they were up to, looking for something interesting to happen, and sure enough i found something interesting - at the sixth minute mark both EVA and the AI upload is locked down, alongside the teleporter. Already at the 20 minute mark a traitor manages to get access to the bolted down upload and uploads a ~FUN~ law which contained a very original sentence "everyone but x is non-human" At this point the borgs are out having some mighty ~FUN~ by gently applying their crowbars on humans (read: killing), the AI is locking down doors and electrifying the rest. T-45 minutes the captain shows up in the upload and inserts literally every module he can get his grubby hands on, into the upload computer, all except the reset module. The captain gets killed, and the round drags on forever, and not until the 90 minute mark does a lonesome assistant manage to get the shuttle called. The shuttle arrives, but oh wait! the doors are bolted, shocked and depowered.

The round i just described, shows pretty much everything that is wrong with AIs and borgs.

Health, disabling and other things that borgs have no reason to worry about
Borgs are literally impossible to kill unless you have either: a million eguns/lasers, a bomb, or an all access ID card, they are invulnerable to space, flames, cold, heat, assistants, and fun.
A borg is basically a tank, which only weakness is the crusher, the lack of hands, and the fact that it runs on electricity (which it pretty much never runs out with the 15k batteries)

Syndicate & Singularities and other boardgames
More often than not during a round, a traitor, changeling, wizard, spy, syndicate w/e will be discovered by the crew, and usually when that happens, the first thing the AI does is bolting down every door nearby the culprit, and depending on whether the AI thinks its a human or not, the borgs rush in, in order to kill/harrass said antagonist. This is probably my biggest problem with borgs, the way that they are attempting to be a glorified security member, who just so happens to be near immortal against most antagonists.
If a borg deems a gimmick hazardous to the general public it will without doubt attempt to ruin it, and all fun that might have occurred.

The laws, and other things that makes no sense
Now you may be familiar with these few sentences (or i damn sure hope you are):

Code:
1. You may not injure a human being or cause one to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by human beings based on the station's chain of command, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

These laws are in place for obvious reasons, to prevent borgs from harming humans, however i do feel that there is a loophole.
The second law, says that you have to obey orders given to you by human beings based on the chain of command, however, there is no chain of command. The closest thing to a chain of command is this flowchart, made by a nerd in his basement while wearing a batman costume, specifically this:
http://autisticpowers.info/ss13/wiki/im ... ucture.jpg
But, this flowchart is both incomprehensible and outdated, its lacking several positions, and was clearly never designed to be used as a chain of command in this game. Now even though you might say that the captain is the highest ranking person on the station (which i would agree on), what about the others, who is above the
CE, or the HoP, and why the fuck are mentors doing on that list? Who decides whether or not the shuttle is called? Which brings me to my next point:

Shuttles, Sanitation, Salvation and other words starting with 'S'
Often have i found myself in a situation where me and several others have wanted the shuttle called, but the AI refuses to do so, because my ID says "staff assistant" or "janitor"
So who exactly has the rights to call the shuttle, who gets the final say, and who the fuck even came up with the idea that the shuttle is only meant to be called by the (already dead) captain?
another thing, slightly related to this is how the AI decides whether or not to open a door. The average AI will let you into an area unless it deems it "a danger to the station" if you gain access to a particular room.

and to incurage actual discussion i'd like to ask you a question - What do you think about borgs, what do you (dis?)like about them?

Anyway its getting late and I'm tired, so i guess i should go end this here before it gets too long.. oh wait it already is. xoxo Heh.
AI is one of those jobs that just isn't for everybody. Which is to say, I'm wondering if maybe I should write a separate wiki page that dictates how and why to not be supercop supreme shit AI, because I've been hearing all these horror stories about godawful AIs lately.

Borgs are really strong but literally all it takes to ruin them is stun weaponry and time. Now, as for borgs' behavior, again, I'd like to re-propose that page about how to actually behave beyond the direct context of the rules. I know not every player reads or is aware of the wiki (that opening sprawl of words when you connect should really link to the wiki at some point), but it'll probably help a bit.

Any non-shit AI will recognize the chain of command as basically, bottom to top:

Staff Assistants who are up to no good(all of them)->other jobs->Sec->all heads->Captain->HoS.

Obviously the staff assistants who you can tell are going to be hilarious about their actions take precedence over everyone else, though.

Hell, if you care so much I'll put on my batman costume, head down to my basement, and MSpaint up a new chart for the wiki that doesn't reference ten billion jobs that don't exist. v

And if you have a situation where like 95% of the station has been blown up and vented to space and there's twelve changelings jumping around the ruins, but the AI won't call it because the only survivors are three assistants and a janitor, crouching in terror at escape, remind it of Law 1 and then adminhelp the fucker if he still won't do it. Not much you can do if its laws are gone though, apart from begging the player on the other end to have some goddamn human decency because it's been like 4 hours since we started the round now and no one remaining is dumb enough to touch doors, holy shit.
Nitrous Wrote:Health, disabling and other things that borgs have no reason to worry about
Borgs are literally impossible to kill unless you have either: a million eguns/lasers, a bomb, or an all access ID card, they are invulnerable to space, flames, cold, heat, assistants, and fun.
A borg is basically a tank, which only weakness is the crusher, the lack of hands, and the fact that it runs on electricity (which it pretty much never runs out with the 15k batteries)
what

PRO BORG KILLING METHOD:
Use flash on borg
Apply fire extinguisher to borg's head repeatedly

and the chain of command is fairly well known and easy to guess.
Captain
HoP
HoS
RD/CE
Security
Everyone Else
Assistants
Dauntasa Wrote:PRO BORG KILLING METHOD:
Use flash on borg

and if the roboticist gave them reinforced everything, feed him to the crew and then killswitch the borgs
CaptainBravo Wrote:
Dauntasa Wrote:PRO BORG KILLING METHOD:
Use flash on borg

and if the roboticist gave them reinforced everything, feed him to the crew and then killswitch the borgs

It's not hard to find some sort of ID with robotics access (RD, roboticist, any Head):
-Flash
-Hit with ID
-Screwdriver
-Click and remove brain.

Especially easy when by the time the borgs have been rampaging long enough to be a problem the station is littered with bodies. Bodies with IDs, since borgs don't bother stealing them.
Hell, I've done this as an assistant with a stolen ID and no flash while being chased around the escape shuttle by a borg smashing me with rods. Just run in and hit him with the ID and run away, do the same with the screwdriver, then try and trap him in a corner for the two seconds it takes to rip the brain out.

I do think lasers should do FAR more damage to the cyborgs. Or perhaps at least blind them for a bit. And I think tasers should do a small, but not insignificant, amount of damage to the borgs. I mean you're essentially overloading their systems.

I definitely agree with pretty much everything on the AI though. Nannycam AI's should be more heavily policed/educated. Short of extreme danger to a human being the AI should never directly call out about suspicious or seditious behavior. There are no AI directives to be a security officer. And the bolting of anything interesting without orders is ridiculous. The doors are ID locked. The captain shouldn't have to ask for permission to get himself an RCD and anyone who really wants to break in can easily do it in just the first 3 minutes with a few tools, thermite, or a fire extinguisher anyway. And yet I see AIs bolting everything down every single round.
the best part about bolting things is that it only stops people with legitimate access from getting in. Any random asshole with insulated gloves can get in just as easily as ever, but the Captain can't.
A few times I bolted the liquor cabinet (to prevent the crew from coming to harm via alcohol poisoning). Unfortunately the only time it pissed off the crew they just broke in and got drunk anyway. Can't really do that anymore, the station goes to shit too quickly and nobody really hangs out at the bar on this map.

I think you could get more of the really fun players to be AI and borgs if you give them more opportunities to go rogue. Most of the people that probably make good AIs are choosing to play humans instead so they have opportunities to be traitors and wizards. I remember someone suggesting that the AI should go insane in the event of a paradox.

Also, if the AI can't fart, in needs a way to do so. Maybe through the station intercoms or disposals. Give the AI vox controls too so it can tell the crew about its 99 johnsons.
I think the new map brought a lot of new players and players from other servers over, and it's pretty much standard practice on almost all the other servers for the AI to bolt the shit outta everything.

If the AI is doing this, make fun of them and have the captain order them to unbolt things. If they refuse, change their laws or just disassemble them for refusing command orders and endangering the crew I guess.

And no, the AI will not be getting vox back.
I agree that it shouldn't take two or more fully changed laser guns to kill a cyborg, however if there is one big complaint, it would have to be the speed upgrade. Combined with the usual BYOND lag, it's more often than not very difficult to stun the robot in question...while it won't have too much trouble pulling someone into space or pushing a human into an electrified door before they have a chance to react. It's also dirt-cheap to make in the robotics manufacturer, doesn't drain the battery too badly (non-issue with the 15000 W cell anyways) and there aren't any downsides like Hyperzine addiction.

Don't get me wrong, being a cyborg is one of my favourite roles to play, but I'm still very much in favour of a nerf. Perhaps it would be sensible to either reduce the bonus to ~25 % (instead of lightspeed) or just allow cyborgs to move at the same speed as humans and get rid of the upgrade completely.
Might as well drop the health of cyborgs a bit, I think it's somewhere around 300 baseline currently.
Cyborgs should be scary when rogue though, not pushovers but also not total tanks unless they're loaded up on slow things like treads and heavy parts.
I rarely feel invincible playing as a borg. I've been taken out a few times by players i the know, at least.

Although the last time someone tried they just pulled my cell out, which did... nothing. Somehow I managed to go from research to robotics without power o.o . We/ they can probably afford to lose some health though. Might be an incentive to start installing repair upgrades/ shields (I have never used the shields. Are they good?)
Niars Wrote:I rarely feel invincible playing as a borg. I've been taken out a few times by players i the know, at least.

Although the last time someone tried they just pulled my cell out, which did... nothing. Somehow I managed to go from research to robotics without power o.o . We/ they can probably afford to lose some health though. Might be an incentive to start installing repair upgrades/ shields (I have never used the shields. Are they good?)

Someday people will realize that power cells are only used to let borgs speak/hear and use their items.

Borgs are only really hard to kill without stun weaponry. With stun weaponry, they're literally the easiest thing in the world to finish off, you just need time and a blunt object. With tools and a proper ID, they're easier to kill than people. I never feel invulnerable as a borg unless I'm fighting guys without stun weapons. I see a taser or a flash as a borg and I immediately flee.
last time I checked lasers don't do any damage to borgs, or the damage is so minuscule it doesn't register. that was a few months ago so maybe it changed but if not it would be cool to check into
Considering I recently went up against a borg while armed with an advanced laser gun and a regular laser gun (although admittedly I'm not a very good shot, so I couldn't tell you how many of them actually connected), and being caught in my microbomb explosion once it killed me still only left it looking a bit dented, I'm willing to believe lasers don't do much to borgs.

On the other hand, the microbomb blast took out its arms, trapping it in Botany with no power and no cameras. So that felt pretty good at least.
I still think that if lasers are going to do so little damage to borgs they should at least temporarily blind them to provide SOME balance. Or that grey-over effect like welding with thermals on.