Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security QoL tweaks/hot takes
I have been playing as Security with a random name some lately and thought that maybe people would be interested in discussing some quality of life tweaks.  These are just my "hot takes" on a few rounds as sec.

Maybe sec could get their gear at spawn if they're roundstart sec?  This would save an obligatory and irritating gearing up period that doesn't add much to gameplay at minute 1 of a round (for late joins it definitely adds something).

A duty belt would be handy, like a tool belt for sec items.  There's already plenty of pockets + belt + PDA in ID slot that this would not be unbalancing, but it would be handy and thematic and could spawn with the stuff already in it.

The belt could have a maglite, taser, flash, baton, and cuffs or something similar to that.

The maglite would just be a reskinned flashlight, maybe you could beat people with it but maybe not, could replace it with a little tactical light that is just a brighter resprited flashlight or something, just a nice thematic element there.

Maybe the security headset could be like one of those clip on cop mikes and a radio instead of a headset?  Still fit in same slot, just cosmetically different.

This is unrelated but I wonder if the PDA could become able to "dock" on the right hand side of the screen, like if you have a PDA in ID, belt, pocket, or hands slot and you are not cuffed or whatever you can see your PDA screen all the time.  Might make tickets and stuff handier.

Anyway thats just stuff I thought of real quick.
(02-01-2017, 03:49 PM)rulib Wrote: A duty belt would be handy, like a tool belt for sec items.  There's already plenty of pockets + belt + PDA in ID slot that this would not be unbalancing, but it would be handy and thematic and could spawn with the stuff already in it.

Security Belts are already a thing. They are in security lockers.
(02-01-2017, 03:49 PM)rulib Wrote: A duty belt would be handy, like a tool belt for sec items.  There's already plenty of pockets + belt + PDA in ID slot that this would not be unbalancing, but it would be handy and thematic and could spawn with the stuff already in it.
There's a security toolbelt that's functionally identical to a normal toolbelt, but it can hold a taser and stun baton. Unfortunately, they do not come pre-supplied with goodies.
I would like to see pepper spray added to security
Security IDs should be resprited to be police badges.
Pepper spray would be nice. Also more active HoS's would be real nice.
(02-01-2017, 04:46 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Pepper spray would be nice. Also more active HoS's would be real nice.

I've been playing HoS nearly every night. I try to be on peak hours and low pop hours as well.
I just stuffed an extinguisher and a spray bottle full of capsaicin, it is pretty amusing but almost everyone has some mask or cig at all times so it's pretty limited.
it should probably have some kind of mild gear penetration ability. pepper spray can wiggle tween all sorts of gaps to irritate you. ordinary items like breath masks, sunglasses, and cigs should be penetrated by it. more robust items such as gas masks, welding helmets(if flipped down), space helmets, and various goggles should block. i differentiate sunglasses from goggles because goggles, to me, means they have at least some kind of close seal to your face around the eyes, whereas glasses are much looser articles
Actually, I really do like the idea of a built in flashlight on the sec belts. Can that get added?

There used to be a set of doors on the Cog1 brig that were activated by a switch. Opening one door closed the other. I'd like to see that return because of how secure it was.
The gearing up thing is tiresome, but other than security it's nearly in every other role, just a bit more sporadic (i.e: A staff assistant would pick up stuff as he goes along, rather than all at once). It's not really a major issue.

In relation to the PDA, the window is super janky, but you fiddle with it, so it works like you mentioned.
Firstly put your pda in your pocket or your belt slot.
Open the pda. The best way of opening your pda is dragging your pda to you, rather than taking it out and double clicking.
When open, drag to the right hand side, and minimize. Drag the minimized window to the right side. Congrats, it's now docked on the right hand side.
You can also use this drag pda to you technique if you are stunned or in crit, and pda message people aswell!
(02-02-2017, 05:35 AM)Sundance Wrote: You can also use this drag pda to you technique if you are stunned or in crit, and pda message people aswell!

Now THAT is going to save my life a few times. Provided I remember...
Also remember that "pdasay" is a verb that exists, but you need to not be actively running a different program for it to work (you can see the main menu, or you're in the messenger, etc.)
(02-01-2017, 04:46 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Pepper spray would be nice.
We have handheld 'Flash' as part of the Security Items Box in the backpack at round start, and in every Sec locker.
There is also crowd dispersal gear in the armoury.

(02-01-2017, 07:00 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Actually, I really do like the idea of a built in flashlight on the sec belts. Can that get added?
2ned
(02-01-2017, 07:00 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: There used to be a set of doors on the Cog1 brig that were activated by a switch. Opening one door closed the other. I'd like to see that return because of how secure it was.
2ned
(02-02-2017, 05:35 AM)Sundance Wrote: The gearing up thing is tiresome, but other than security it's nearly in every other role, just a bit more sporadic (i.e: A staff assistant would pick up stuff as he goes along, rather than all at once). It's not really a major issue.

In relation to the PDA, the window is super janky, but you fiddle with it, so it works like you mentioned.
Firstly put your pda in your pocket or your belt slot.
Open the pda. The best way of opening your pda is dragging your pda to you, rather than taking it out and double clicking.
When open, drag to the right hand side, and minimize. Drag the minimized window to the right side. Congrats, it's now docked on the right hand side.
You can also use this drag pda to you technique if you are stunned or in crit, and pda message people aswell!

By default, the PDA window opens up over the game screen, but you can move it off to the side and then close it, and the next time you open the window, it'll retain the spot you dragged it over towards.

I can't stress how valuable PDA's are when properly utilized, especially as Sec when you've got the port-a-brig remote built in. I'd love to see some of those redesigns happen though, digging through menus in a hurry can be a pain