Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Head of Personnel Suggestions
(02-02-2017, 05:02 AM)Sundance Wrote:
ErikHanson Wrote:
ErikHanson Wrote:All of these suggestions are terrible, just leave the role as-is and get rid of the terrible players instead of taking a shit over players who actually play the role and do fun gimmicks

It might be a good thing to add some sort of a logging system to the console that logs all ID changes so it can be reviewed by otherrs

I originally wrote a big effort post with a PDA messaging system that would alert heads, but it got convoluted and I ended up deleting it as it seemed like it would be a pain in the ass to code but also seemed a bit unbalanced (eg: A Traitor got his hands on the ID computer and wanted to upgrade his ID would be alerted to his actions)

A logging system seems like a much better thing as it allows for some detective work without throwing security/whoever everything they need to know, while not being convoluted at all.

Example of an ID log would be:

Firstname Lastname (Scientist) has been approved for access modification by Heado Personelli (Head of Personnel) His new role is Medical Scientist
Access: +Medbay +Medbay Equipment +Pathology +Maintenance -Toxins

Yeah, shove it over the wired/wireless network so packet nerds can fuck with it as well, should be easy. I'll see if i can whip up a patch this weekend
Haven't read the most recent posts but:

If a department Head is present on the manifest/their ID isn't destroyed, then they can give access to their department (HoP being the civilian department) The Captain can give out any access they want, unless an HoS is present, then the captain cannot give Security access, only the HoS.

The base of that idea has been discussed but I just added to it, making it just a little more foolproof just in case there's a severe lack of players (I.E late at night or on LLJK1)

(Kind of a shitty idea coming up, lets see what the community thinks about it)

Also, maybe give Security a whole bunch of special spare IDs that can only have the name changed. No access. Security would scan the card with the Securitron-3000 or whatever it is (little blue hand-held device) to change the name. The rank is permanently Criminal. This could work against those shit HoPs/Caps as they could be arrested and temporarily/permanently demoted if they're doing bad shit, without the need for a Captain or HoS. If there's a shitty HoS then they don't deserve the job.

EDIT:

Read the previous post and I agree with Erik. Just job-ban the fucks who give out all access until they appeal it. Much easier solution. Also non-traitor HoPs should have genuine reasons for giving sensitive access (I.E Security, Bridge, computer core, Captain's quarters, etc.) for if they get asked by an admin or player.
I actually don't think giving out all-access willy nilly is such a terrible thing. Most HoPs don't stick around, and most HoPs dont bother giving it anyway
Disclaimer: it's been a while since I really played, this may have changed
However, on the flip side, the job is halfway to pointless, and getting rid of it might not be such a terrible idea.

as for announcements, my ideal announcement would be

ACCESS CHANGE
Peter Peterson (Head of Personnel) has just changed the access permissions for Tim Timson (Engineer)

Tim Timson would be the name the ID had prior to being edited.
It would not tell you what access has been given or taken, nor would it tell you what the name has been changed to.

The objective is not to give everyone insight into who has access to what; but to be a big NOTICE ME when you see 3 or 4 in a row.
I don't really see anything wrong with people giving all access, its one of the (very few) perks that comes with the HoP job. If that was removed there'd be literally no reason to continue playing the job. The announcements would be pretty easy to abuse so I'm not a big fan of that either as well as it'd make traitors lives that much more annoying.
remote access change could have some interesting consequences if it were able to be applied without recipient's consent. it could have applications both in a traitor trapping and isolating their target by revoking their permissions, and of course for law enforcement trying to inhibit a criminal's movements
Somepotato, all access IDs can cause issues. If everyone could go anywhere, where's the first place they'll go? Security of course! Raiding the lockers and causing a nice greytide vigilante squad. LLJK2 players tend to do stupid annoying shit (not all, it's likely just a vocal minority) and giving them Security access is not good. Just punish the people who keep giving out all-access, since that's not something the HoP should do as a non-antag.
(02-02-2017, 02:36 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Somepotato, all access IDs can cause issues. If everyone could go anywhere, where's the first place they'll go? Security of course! Raiding the lockers and causing a nice greytide vigilante squad. LLJK2 players tend to do stupid annoying shit (not all, it's likely just a vocal minority) and giving them Security access is not good. Just punish the people who keep giving out all-access, since that's not something the HoP should do as a non-antag.

like i said in the other thread, blame the powergamers that immediately rush the brig to loot it 

name and shame those people instead of bullying the poor, innocent hop
do u guys remember how tasers would sometimes zap ppl if they didnt have loyalty implants? maybe this was a long time ago. but if youre worried that security gear is too easily stolen perhaps this is an additional layer of nuisance that could be re-implemented to discourage it
(02-02-2017, 02:40 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: like i said in the other thread, blame the powergamers that immediately rush the brig to loot it 

So then they can't go into sec? Or they must fuck other departments before sec?

Giving out all access should be frowned upon unless you are an antag
(02-02-2017, 05:30 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: Yeah, shove it over the wired/wireless network so packet nerds can fuck with it as well, should be easy. I'll see if i can whip up a patch this weekend

That sounds like it'd be pretty fun (or at least for a little bit, before the novelty would wear off)! Good luck with the patch.

(02-02-2017, 02:36 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Somepotato, all access IDs can cause issues. If everyone could go anywhere, where's the first place they'll go? Security of course! Raiding the lockers and causing a nice greytide vigilante squad. LLJK2 players tend to do stupid annoying shit (not all, it's likely just a vocal minority) and giving them Security access is not good. Just punish the people who keep giving out all-access, since that's not something the HoP should do as a non-antag.

I dunno; while it may not be judicious to give out all-access to random people, I don't think that the ability to do so should be removed.

If the crew one round want to punish the HoP for giving all-access to someone, then by all means they should go ahead and try. But I don't think this should turn into some sort of definite rule or guideline for how to act in such a situation, especially in regards to your suggestion on how to treat the players out-of-character. Order and justice are nice, yeah, and everyone should feel free to strive for them, but sometimes incorporating too much of either into the game's structure itself is just confining and burdensome.
(02-02-2017, 02:08 PM)somepotato Wrote: I don't really see anything wrong with people giving all access, its one of the (very few) perks that comes with the HoP job. If that was removed there'd be literally no reason to continue playing the job. The announcements would be pretty easy to abuse so I'm not a big fan of that either as well as it'd make traitors lives that much more annoying.
I just plan to arrest HoPs for it like Hufflaw suggested.
(02-02-2017, 03:01 PM)Maegor Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 02:40 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: like i said in the other thread, blame the powergamers that immediately rush the brig to loot it 

So then they can't go into sec? Or they must fuck other departments before sec?

Giving out all access should be frowned upon unless you are an antag

there's nothing to loot from other departments thankfully so your slippery slope argument won't work here
(02-02-2017, 03:18 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 02:08 PM)somepotato Wrote: I don't really see anything wrong with people giving all access, its one of the (very few) perks that comes with the HoP job. If that was removed there'd be literally no reason to continue playing the job. The announcements would be pretty easy to abuse so I'm not a big fan of that either as well as it'd make traitors lives that much more annoying.
I just plan to arrest HoPs for it like Hufflaw suggested.

I am 100% ok with this idea. If Security is ever given more tools to deal with baddies I'll see what can be done with giving them lockers with padlocks.
I'd say its less the fault of the HoP for his awful ID habits and more a problem with the ID Computer in that its too easy to print out all-access IDs.

Then again if you nerf the Computer to much, then the HoP will have even less of a reason to do anything. How would you make the Computer less of a master key printer and more of a gimmick/convenience enabler?
(02-02-2017, 03:30 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: there's nothing to loot from other departments thankfully so your slippery slope argument won't work here

Insulated gloves, spacesuits, chemicals, artifacts, med kits... And not just stealing things but being generally disruptive of the work

Also, I have given some more though to the idea and just arresting HoPs who do this would e great