Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Security Crackdown Community Edition
The last time I did that here I just got Yelled At, though in the interest of fairness I'll say that a fair few are mostly just mentors abusing their newfound power on HOS Fridays.

I think my original point kind of got lost, so I'll try to keep it concise: as a non-sec player, the most disruptive (non-antag) thing by far isn't a specific type of bad behavior, it's the few robust old vets who don't play to do anything except make life difficult for other people nowadays. The fact that no one else brought up this issue (or even seems to consider it one) gives me very little hope that this thread will actually accomplish anything.
As I recall, there have been a few threads like this, none of which appears to change much. The main reason for sec being ineffective is the pure lack of people playing it. Most rounds that I've played sec recently it's typically been me and perhaps one other officer.

The reason I think partly the reason for the lack of sec players is sec is seen as the "boring" job. There isn't a whole lot of room for innovation or expansion for their tools, or interesting things to learn like other roles.

I like playing sec as it gets you more engaged with the round and others, ans I'd recommend anyone who tends to sit out and do their own thing to give secoff a try. As people have said, Security isn't just about catching crimers. A good officer could be grabbing a breach cart and repairing a bombed-out room, or healing people and manning the cloner.
Rhoomba: Just keep ahelping shity behavior - especially from sec. It's not like doing so harms ya. I agree that regulars can be jackasses in general. It's a matter of boredom meets gradual escalation - lots of people could use a break.

Sundance: The problem comes when non-veteran sec tries to (or is forced to, by vetsec) emulate vetsec. Such as: somebody tries to process and jail a rampager; rampager escapes and kill the rest of the station. This isn't rare even amongst vetsec. Besides, there isn't much roleplay potential in a person that's going to suicide anyways.

Cirrial: I'm probably one of the few people who agrees with you on permabrigging. Genpop was made to break out of. It's real shame that it never gets truly used unless an admin enables a special job. I mean the alternative is execution. Isocells should only be used in dire circumstances though, and then only as a temp solution. I honestly hate those things.

Everyone: Sec having a bad rap is largely our fault. There's some undue expectation that sec has to be perfect bastions of justice when they're really just incompetent mallcops. Maybe the real problem is that antags are just too imbalanced.
I just want to remind people this thread was made to see what other Security players and Normal players wanted to see Security crackdown on. I did not make it with the goal to get more people playing Security though if that is a side effect I welcome it. Though the comments I'm seeing do make for good feedback.

I wanted to say this though. Security can be stressful but it is the most stressful when you are just learning the role. There is no way to ease yourself into the role and if you afraid of being seen as a shit officer by the community then heed my words. You WILL be seen as a shit officer at some point. It happens to every single Security player who plays the role long enough. My advice for newcomers is to take their words with a grain of salt, if you are truly shit you will know it as a admin will come down on you hard. I've never been in real trouble as a Security Officer/HoS but I have been put in the prison zone once as a HoS to explain my actions. HoS players don't get a free pass like most seem to think. In my experience the moment I do something that seems questionable I almost instantly (or 15 minutes later at most) get a adminhelp asking if I can explain myself.
Yeah sorry I got OT. I've been really buzzy the last few days. The one thing (You don't HAVE TO be nonlethal) is all I got. Trashbear
Getting brigged for extended periods sucks. Im sure a lot of antag players suicide because they'd rather observe than sit in the brig doing nothing, not because they think you'll clone them.

I don't brig for first offense, I search them for antag equipment or weapons and confiscate whatever they shouldn't have/were using to crime and release. If an antag tries to cause trouble again after that they get thrown out an airlock.

If you just kill/permabrig antags expect them to use lethal force to stop you ending their round.
(01-31-2017, 09:10 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Getting brigged for extended periods sucks. Im sure a lot of antag players suicide because they'd rather observe than sit in the brig doing nothing, not because they think you'll clone them.

You get birgged for two minutes at most for almost anything relating to crime. Suicide and locking yourself out of the round over five minutes at most is so stupid I can't begin to put it into words. I say five cause that is the highest we can keep you locked up

Suck it up and stop being salty crybabies over a few minutes.
(01-31-2017, 09:12 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Suck it up and stop being salty crybabies over a few minutes.
Why, If you have nothing to look forward to after those minutes are up (other than hardmode traitor) when you could just ghost and see if anything fun is happening?
This whole little discussion you started is off topic. The thread is about what Security Officers should crackdown on not what they should and should not do. Word of advice though don't openly admit you suicide after being arrested, the community has voiced they think that is shit and they might ridicule you over it. If you want to discuss this make your own thread I would be glad to discuss it further there and I'm sure other would as well. The only thing you people should be posting in here is on what you think Security needs to focus their efforts on and I am talking about crime-wise related subjects

Here's a story that happened to me today that fits into my opening post at the start of the thread.

Two big issues with security is people suiciding when they get arrested and HoPs allowing people to raid security which makes it harder for us to do our job. One of the rounds I played today this happened when my officers and I had a lead on the changeling after it got it's first victim and then we got raided by a greytide and all of them had all access. The changeling went unopposed for nearly 30 mins cause we had to fight off people fucking with us for no reason.

The All access stuff is getting crazy I've been having this happen to me for nearly two weeks now. So again I feel it's something security officers and Head of Security members really need to ramp up their aggression towards.
(01-31-2017, 10:55 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 09:12 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Suck it up and stop being salty crybabies over a few minutes.
Why, If you have nothing to look forward to after those minutes are up (other than hardmode traitor) when you could just ghost and see if anything fun is happening?

Traitor objectives are not the entire point of your existence, just fucking play the game normally and try to enjoy it until roundend.
(01-31-2017, 11:43 PM)grumpchkin Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 10:55 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 09:12 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Suck it up and stop being salty crybabies over a few minutes.

Traitor objectives are not the entire point of your existence, just fucking play the game normally and try to enjoy it until roundend.

this. if you get all your shit confiscated and are lucky enough to get out of there alive, then surprise it's just like being a normal crewmember, except you have some more freedom. i dont see the downside unless you are a nerd who cant have fun without a c saber
(01-31-2017, 10:58 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: This whole little discussion you started is off topic. The thread is about what Security Officers should crackdown on not what they should and should not do. Word of advice though don't openly admit you suicide after being arrested, the community has voiced they think that is shit and they might ridicule you over it. If you want to discuss this make your own thread I would be glad to discuss it further there and I'm sure other would as well. The only thing you people should be posting in here is on what you think Security needs to focus their efforts on and I am talking about crime-wise related subjects

Here's a story that happened to me today that fits into my opening post at the start of the thread.

Two big issues with security is people suiciding when they get arrested and HoPs allowing people to raid security which makes it harder for us to do our job. One of the rounds I played today this happened when my officers and I had a lead on the changeling after it got it's first victim and then we got raided by a greytide and all of them had all access. The changeling went unopposed for nearly 30 mins cause we had to fight off people fucking with us for no reason.

The All access stuff is getting crazy I've been having this happen to me for nearly two weeks now. So again I feel it's something security officers and Head of Security members really need to ramp up their aggression towards.

i don't think blaming the hop will do anything. if anything it just boils down to powergamers powergaming and wanting weapons and the fact that people just love to fuck with security. you've played for years. you should know these things
Stopping the HoPs from giving random people all access will help tremendously. I do know these things and I see ways to slow it down. It's always around this time of year when this type of behavior gets unbearable as well. HoPs just give them a shortcut and after seeing round after round of people running up to the HoP and asking for All access and the HoP just giving it away I had to say something and I for sure put some of the blame on them.

The "that's just have it is deal with it" mentality is a poor excuse for this behavior. I don't care how long some people have been doing it and if that mentality stuck in the past then nothing in the game or the community would have changed. When it becomes excessive like it is now then it's a problem.
Try getting the prisoners in on their sentencing. Give them options like "I'll give you back one item for every time you pull the trigger on the Russian revolver"
(01-30-2017, 11:03 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: no one plays sec because it's the most antifun job in the game and acting like an annoying supercop will do nothing but make people hate sec more and put people off from playing sec

Hey I didn't read anything past the first post (Yeah you can and probably should arrest HoP's who give out all-access randomly). But holy shit you are so wrong, dude, security is the most fun job of the game for me. I dunno what the rest of you are on.

Try to find me another game where the main mechanic isn't a mini-game or a rhythm based combat mechanic, but you, another person, and a robust combat system with text-based communication. Security is the most unique experience you can have playing a videogame. Also the "anti-fun" thing is false in my opinion since this is a game about stealthy assholery and having someone give a shit about you being an asshole gives the entire thing meaning.

Not that this thread is about "fixing security", which could probably be done easily by tweaking the job system to force X amount of players to be security at round start, but about telling people that they can and should arrest HoP's who give everyone all-access and give traitors a really easy way to win, as well as other reasons for arrests. Which I agree with.