Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Security Crackdown Community Edition
I am making this thread to voice what I feel like other officers should start cracking down on the station. Other Security players and anyone else can throw out what they would like to see as well. With that said let's start.

After two weeks since I started playing again I've begun to notice this. So what I myself am going to crackdown on and I implore other Security players to crackdown on are HoPs who give out all access. Most of the time I play security I am by myself or have one or two other officers with me. You want to know what is our undoing most of the time? It's not a robust antag or a random admin event. It's random people who have all access when they are not supposed to. It's super hard for a couple of officers let alone ONE officer to protect the station from an antag while the crew raids Security constantly and gets in the way. A antag can also be one of these people with all access and now they will have a security headset making it really hard to communicate with others officer (if there are any) without the wrong people hearing it. So you Anarchist Head of Personnel players just know I am coming for you. You have been making the job needlessly harder and I say "No more!"

Not saying stop giving out all access but I am saying I feel it's getting a tad out of hand and I will bring balance back to the IDs and Security.

I'm curious what other players say Security should crackdown on. I'm looking forward to it as it's going to be some good feedback hopefully.
I don't play sec, but I personally want to see authoritarian security solely because it'd make playing antagonists much more interesting and rewarding. At the moment, apathy makes it far to easy to do anything you want without consequence.

Maybe trying to buff the sec player limit from 5 to 10 could be interesting to see, even if a bit absurd.

All hail the dictator state.
Honestly I've found that recently no one is even really playing security to any degree, even during high-pop rounds. I can't remember a time in the past little while that I have been arrested for anything by security, and half the time I join I see 2 or 3 security officers who just went afk right on the shuttle.

I have no idea what can be done to actually make people want to play security more, and it's not really a discussion for this thread, but it's pretty boring when security is doing nothing honestly. IMO though, if you're going to crack down, don't resort to brig time for every little crime, as it takes forever to be dragged to the brig, searched, eventually thrown in the brig, and then wait out your time. Half the time it seems like it's less time than it takes for the officer to do everything else.

Anyways, amidst my ramblings I would love to see a harder line taken by security of stuff!
One reason why people don't go sec is the misconception that it removes them from being an antag - it does not. Those rolls come before job rolls.

Sec also has some weird unspoken 'do no harm' rule. That throws a lot of people off. If somebody tries to kill you, kill them first and ask questions later. This is controversial somehow.

That's pretty much all I got. I mean I agree with Ed about the IDs, but I'm a-ok with handing out all access to the clown and the mime if you remove their id console access. A mime and a clown waging a station wide war is hilarious - everybody busting into my work area looking for loot is not.
(01-30-2017, 07:47 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Sec also has some weird unspoken 'do no harm' rule. That throws a lot of people off. If somebody tries to kill you, kill them first and ask questions later. This is controversial somehow.

I don't understand this either. If you're a Security Offcer and someone tries to kill you and you end up killing them instead then you are not shit infact I'd argue you did your job.

Though I've adopted the "Kill any antag on sight" mentality now since I gave a traitor recently a chance and they choose to attack me later in the round. That and I still feel that others (myself included) have been too easy on traitors.
(01-30-2017, 05:13 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: good points

I completely agree with you, a more active security force would be very interesting.  Personally, I would love to crack down on (or be cracked down upon as) a scientist (meth), botanist (weed), or even a traitor chaplain.  I think quite a few funny situations or more rewarding experiences could result from a harder, more confident security force (as long as it isn't taken to an extreme).

(EDIT): Please, please, PLEASE don't take this to mean I want security officers hunting down people doing fun gimmicks (just legalize the process, make the traitor have people sign security-approved waivers or something before hopping in a mechanic trap or make them do some paperwork at the Customs office).
I know as antag if I get caught I will put a lot of effort into escaping initially, but eventually I'll relent and go along with whatever the sec team has in mind for me, as I've been pleasantly surprised a lot of times that the outcome has been more than just "shot and thrown into space".

It's not very fun if there's no risk to being caught, I think. I should probably also play sec more, in a tangentially related thought.
no one plays sec because it's the most antifun job in the game and acting like an annoying supercop will do nothing but make people hate sec more and put people off from playing sec
(01-30-2017, 06:15 PM)69andahalf Wrote: ... I can't remember a time in the past little while that I have been arrested for anything by security,...
As a Sec regular, all I can say about this is that the force is usually so focussed (or outright overwhelmed) on the antag-de-jour, to care much about random break-inns or graffiti.

(01-30-2017, 07:47 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Sec also has some weird unspoken 'do no harm' rule. That throws a lot of people off. If somebody tries to kill you, kill them first and ask questions later. This is controversial somehow.
In my experience with robusting (rather limited, which may also be part of the problem), stun-cuff is much faster then murder. It's gotten to the point where I stun-cuff nuke ops, and drag them to some hallway, hoping that the unarmored Greyshirts can finish the job, while I go in and stun-cuff another operative.

Another thing I see is that these topics are called Security Crackdown, which in my mind always evokes cracking down ON the guards, rather then the guards cracking down on miscreants. Perhaps a more promotional angle could inspire some to 'be as Robust as you can be' and join the force. 'Uncle HoS wants YOU, and this time, it's not in the brig!'

(01-30-2017, 05:13 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: So what I myself am going to crackdown on and I implore other Security players to crackdown on are HoPs who give out all access. ... So you Anarchist Head of Personnel players just know I am coming for you. You have been making the job needlessly harder and I say "No more!"
Sic.
We shall prevail!

Now for some serious idea's to make Guard duty more manageable.

Once I learned how to utilize them, I've had tremendous success with deploying Securitrons. I always carry a near-finished one with me, and give it my baton if attacked. However, assembling a securitron or two is quite a chore, robot arms and batons being the limiting factor.
Perhaps a few extra securitron-assemblies (almost complete, just add the baton) could pre-spawn in a closet in Sec-HQ, so they can be easily retrieved and activated if the Sec-Team is on low numbers. If there are enough Guards, they will take the batons instead, allowing for a 'natural balancing factor'.

Another problem I run into is that the UI for camera monitors is very unwieldy. Sometimes, on Cog2, I go to the crew-quarters and nick the monitor there, just to get letter-search to make it do-able. Swapping all monitors to use that UI would already be a great improvement.

I have also noticed that my eagerness varies from map to map. I am scared to cop on Cog1. I have no ready solution for this.
(01-30-2017, 11:03 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: no one plays sec because it's the most antifun job in the game and acting like an annoying supercop will do nothing but make people hate sec more and put people off from playing sec

Good thing I want to crackdown on supercops.
I am loathe to play security, and when I do it usually ends up:

* Take off body armor and helmet, don a nice hawaiian shirt.

* Write tickets and only write tickets. C-saber antag obviously gets a ticket for contraban, but so does the person bleeding on the floor

* What do you mean try and fight vandalism? I'm the least robust person in the world, it'll usually end up with my skull caved in with a toolbox.
(01-30-2017, 11:20 PM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
In my experience with robusting (rather limited, which may also be part of the problem), stun-cuff is much faster then murder. It's gotten to the point where I stun-cuff nuke ops, and drag them to some hallway, hoping that the unarmored Greyshirts can finish the job, while I go in and stun-cuff another operative.

Oh I don't disagree. Tasers/Stuns are vastly superior to raw damage in all but a few situations. I'm just saying don't be afraid of killing the guy trying to kill you and, please, don't jail and release the guy who killed 12 people in the open unless he was mindslaved or something.

Also don't forget about freedom implants because I swear to GOD every time I need to cuff somebody they always seem to have one. Banging head against the wall

(01-30-2017, 11:03 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: no one plays sec because it's the most antifun job in the game and acting like an annoying supercop will do nothing but make people hate sec more and put people off from playing sec

So people don't like playing sec because they're afraid of 'ruining the antag's fun' and getting some nerd angry at them? Sounds about right. In our current station a rampager would get more fight out of GTA npcs. Granted I'm part of the problem. butt
(01-30-2017, 09:45 PM)Fishanchips Wrote:
(01-30-2017, 05:13 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: good points

I completely agree with you, a more active security force would be very interesting.  Personally, I would love to crack down on (or be cracked down upon as) a scientist (meth), botanist (weed), or even a traitor chaplain.  I think quite a few funny situations or more rewarding experiences could result from a harder, more confident security force (as long as it isn't taken to an extreme).

Just to piggyback off the traitor chaplain comment, if the traitor is non-harmful/hostile please do not kill them just for the hell of it. No one enjoys your fucking powertripping summary executions.
I honestly don't see what the huge problem with permabrigging is. I've had a bunch of dumb fun trying to figure out ways to escape from the brig using only my resourcefulness and what's immediately around (that arcade machine is a lot more useful than it might appear at first). I mean, I guess for the high security cells it kind of sucks, but at least there's VR goggles. I'm opposed to the idea of permabrigging someone in the isolation cells, because there's no real capacity to do anything at all if you're getting flashed for every action you take, but I really want the genpop brig to be used more often.

I guess I'm just concerned about being caught because I'm worried most competent sec that'll catch me will just fuckin' murder me instead. I dunno. Is Convict still a gimmick job?

Back on topic, arrest lawbreakers. When I play as sec (the few times I do) I tend to ramp up over the round. I'll start off whistling at people and giving them tickets for dumb things, but as shit gets real I'll get less tolerant of people being shitters and start breaking out the stuns and cuffs and vain efforts to process people into the brig, as they slip away while I try to process them properly.

(a nicer secmate or equivalent would be appreciated)
I play Sec a lot, and tend to have a lot of fun with it.

I'd encourage people who don't like it to give it another go, only this time don't focus on catching all the crooks or whatever. Instead, just try to be helpful to people that need it. Drag all the bodies you see to genetics and robotics, respond to medical alerts, give directions to new players, let the baddies get away if it means saving a life.