Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove salt scuffing
Salt piles disappear pretty much whenever anyone walks over them, which makes it impossible to keep any significantly-traversed area salted for a long time. Wraiths go from practically unkillable to functionally immortal, because they have much more room to maneuver and a much lower chance of slipping up. As a result salting large areas only works if one guy does it and everyone else holes up in their rooms, which doesn't make for good interaction,

Yes, I know the trick is hiding salt piles under tables and obstacles and such, but tricks like that only work if the wraith has an incentive to stay off the beaten path, which it doesn't when any roaming assistant can clear the path for it.
If you walk over a salt pile it doesn't have a chance of scuffing it.

The fact that people don't do this would seem to be more a problem with the people than with salt.
put the salts on walls, peopel dont walk in walls so they dont scuffs em. i wish there was a way to put salts in windows too

mistos idea: hardened rock salt slab floor tiles to ruin the wraiths day
(01-27-2017, 10:49 AM)misto Wrote: mistos idea: hardened rock salt slab floor tiles to ruin the wraiths day

So... salt as a material?
(01-27-2017, 10:13 AM)Mordent Wrote: If you walk over a salt pile it doesn't have a chance of scuffing it.

The fact that people don't do this would seem to be more a problem with the people than with salt.
Are you sure? Could swear I've still scuffed them in then  past while walking
Salt as a material. I can see it now. Highly corrodible, splashing with water acts as ex_act(3) until it just dissolves away to the plating below, and you can eat the floor tile if you think consuming a large amount of salt is a sensible idea.

I'm not actually too savvy on how frequent sodium chloride appears in asteroids so OFF TO THE INTERNET and am I back and the answer is basically "no, it's formed by evaporation and generally speaking asteroids don't tend to have lakes". There are apparently tiny tiny tiny trace amounts of sodium chloride in comets (<0.0008 relative to a scale where 100 is H2O), though, which I didn't know until now. Basically what I'm saying is add salt deposits to comet because fuck it, space future.
This is starting to drift off topic so I'll just address the more relevant points.

Walking: there are circumstances in which walking may not be the preferred form of locomotion. Such circumstances include

- being chased by an angry army of living objects

-chasing a wraith that flew over a salt pile and is running away

- being a borg/ghost drone/some other creature incapable of walking (and yes, this will cause you to scuff salt piles whenever you move over them)

Walls:

- at least 60% of walls are unsaltable without some major furniture rearranging

- again, the wraith has no need to risk the walls when the main path will almost always be clear due to people sweeping it clear of salt
Tbh, I think a bigger problem is salt is our only way to deal with a wraith. I'd rather more options be put out there before the only one is buffed to the point that you can just cover a room and never have to worry about it again
- Keep salt scuffy, but less so.
- Make salt smoke reveal a wraith and holy water smoke damage a wraith.
- Remind people that ecto-eyes are a thing.

Wraith is probably the least damaging (station-wise) antag - it deserves some compensation for that.

I honestly think wraith is pretty well balanced, it's just that people don't feel that they can fight it. That lessens the tension on one side. Wraith might need a boost to endurance if we boost the defender's ability to retaliate
Salt is also kind of a piece of shit to deal with because you have to pass it between several containers in a row (shaker, cup, beaker, floor), can't put it in extinguishers, etc. so unless you have chem access it's amazingly frustrating to protect a place from the wraith
(01-28-2017, 12:17 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Salt is also kind of a piece of shit to deal with because you have to pass it between several containers in a row (shaker, cup, beaker, floor), can't put it in extinguishers, etc. so unless you have chem access it's amazingly frustrating to protect a place from the wraith

Yeah, it seems to have been nerfed despite the wraith being a very powerful antag. I haven't seen many recently, but I know back when they were still un-nerfed (I can't remember the exact nerf they got), I would basically feel like leaving because it was going to be another round of getting everything in medbay thrown at you, or dumb game mechanic abuse. Rarely would anyone ever take the initiative to make salt, and when they did it was a painstaking process of surviving the assault of the wraith, and dealing the shitty nerfs that spreading salt received.

And the irony of me being salty is not lost to me! Boo
Idea: Have salt piles work based on how much salt is dumped in one spot. Each time a pile is walked over some is removed.

Create a lot of piles that are easily scuffed, or a few more secure ones
(01-28-2017, 11:22 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Idea: Have salt piles work based on how much salt is dumped in one spot. Each time a pile is walked over some is removed.

good idea frank
(01-28-2017, 11:22 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Idea: Have salt piles work based on how much salt is dumped in one spot. Each time a pile is walked over some is removed.

I highly prefer this solution over just removing salt-scuffing.