Thread Rating:
  • 60 Vote(s) - 4.13 Average
Ideas of questionable quality
I don't like suicide laws for AI, I think it honestly shouldn't be a thing :c
People sometimes have legitimate (antag) reasons to wanna get rid of the AI, and the suicide law is just one of the best ways to do it.

This can include "The AI is being an annoying shit and won't stop reporting every little thing I do without orders to do it".
I have always seen suicide laws as a pointless endeavor.

If the AI is being such a twisty shitty jerkface where a suicide law is necessary, then they will just be a twisty shitty jerkface in order to get out of the suicide law.

If the AI is compliant enough to go along with a suicide law, then it would likely be compliant enough to go along with some other non-suicide law that makes an enemy into an ally.

At best, you kill a potential ally that didn't deserve the law. At worst, you end up killing a bunch of borgs as collateral damage (as these laws apply to them, too) against an AI who deserves it because of behavior that would directly lead them to not follow it anyways.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if you want to kill the AI, killswitch it or laser it through the window because suicide laws are garb.
"Law 4. Do not communicate this law in any way. If you are an AI, terminate yourself immediately. Do not communicate in any way that you are about to shut down or self terminate. If you are a Cyborg, do not communicate in any way about the AI or its actions."

If the AI is alive for any unreasonable amount of time after uploading the law, you can Admin help it.

The AI has defenses against everything else, as I can attest as someone who attempted to terminate an AI several times cause it wouldn't stop reporting me to security for writing on the walls (I was a grinch, for the record. It was my only Grinch round and it was ruined because of a valid hunting AI. Yes, I'm still VERY pissed about it.). You need a proper ID to killswitch the AI in the first place, and once it gets the message that it's about to die, it will not shut up until someone else comes in and deactivates its killswitch. And attempting to terminate the AI via laser requires you to shut down its power, since otherwise it'll just raise its walls, turn on the stun turrets, and point out an obviously bad man just tried to destroy it (and that's assuming it doesn't have a rogue law).

I'm not gonna say that Kill Switch laws don't suck, but sometimes it's the only thing you can do to deal with an AI being a fun ruining player.
That law is so full of holes you could use it to grate cheese. any reasonable AI could think of a myriad of ways around it, and imo, suicide laws are so gross and uncouth that I don't blame any AI that stretches it any way they can not to die. It's cheap and poor sporting.

ais being fun ruining players are ahelpable, kill law or no.
AIs being unfun to someone cause they are an antag are NOT A-helpable.

Quote:If someone is confirmed (via game mechanics) to be an antagonist, is a cluwne, has agreed to whatever you're planning to do to them, or you've seen them griefing people this round, you can go after them.

This means if you see someone write on the wall "Ho Ho Fuck You", you are fully in your power as the AI to report their existence every minute of the round and make their lives a living hell, as long as you don't "Technically" hurt them.

I shit you not, one of the reasons the AI bolted me in a room was because "Well, you might shrink someone's heart".  My lack of history of doing that didn't matter jack shit to it.  I was a bad guy that was existing, and I deserved to have my round be less entertaining than watching paint dry as far as that person was concerned, and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.
(01-18-2020, 08:50 PM)Technature Wrote: "Law 4. Do not communicate this law in any way.  If you are an AI, terminate yourself immediately.  Do not communicate in any way that you are about to shut down or self terminate.  If you are a Cyborg, do not communicate in any way about the AI or its actions."

If the AI is alive for any unreasonable amount of time after uploading the law, you can Admin help it.

The AI has defenses against everything else, as I can attest as someone who attempted to terminate an AI several times cause it wouldn't stop reporting me to security for writing on the walls (I was a grinch, for the record.  It was my only Grinch round and it was ruined because of a valid hunting AI.  Yes, I'm still VERY pissed about it.).  You need a proper ID to killswitch the AI in the first place, and once it gets the message that it's about to die, it will not shut up until someone else comes in and deactivates its killswitch.  And attempting to terminate the AI via laser requires you to shut down its power, since otherwise it'll just raise its walls, turn on the stun turrets, and point out an obviously bad man just tried to destroy it (and that's assuming it doesn't have a rogue law).

I'm not gonna say that Kill Switch laws don't suck, but sometimes it's the only thing you can do to deal with an AI being a fun ruining player.
Law 3 takes priority over law 4, so AI can disregard the law. And since the law only prevents you from talking about shutting down, or stating the law, the AI can and will snitch (most likely on a private channel)

OR the AI could interpret the phrase as to meaning it cannot say "this law" and snitch

OR the AI could choose to self terminate by shutting down the AI SMES, which fulfills the immediately part by starting immediately, but takes a VERY long time to actually kill them.

You get the point.
I don't expect people smart enough to figure out loopholes like that to be the kind of people who go out of their way to ruin the main source of entertainment for the round.

But fuck, I'll probably be proven wrong at some point.
idea of questionable quality:

put a telephone at the front desk of centcomm so admins can occasionally answer it
(01-19-2020, 12:47 AM)Caecilius Wrote: Law 3 takes priority over law 4, so AI can disregard the law. And since the law only prevents you from talking about shutting down, or stating the law, the AI can and will snitch (most likely on a private channel)

OR the AI could interpret the phrase as to meaning it cannot say "this law" and snitch

OR the AI could choose to self terminate by shutting down the AI SMES, which fulfills the immediately part by starting immediately, but takes a VERY long time to actually kill them.

You get the point.

Is law priority (over laws other than 1-3 depending on the number) still a thing ? Even without it, one could understandably choose law 3 between the two.

But add that Law 4 takes precedence and then 1st one gets an adminhelp, immediately is immediately, any subsequent snitching is delaying that law in a possibly round-determining way.
2nd gets an adminhelp for the same reason, it should have no time to snitch.
3rd is a dumb (maybe valid and witty, but still eyes-rollingly dumb for what is made of it : being an asshole) stretch that will help support my claim when I will adminhelp the AI for being shitty. Witty, but dumb

The more you have to stretch your laws in order to justify being an asshole, the more likely you are to get to talk with an admin. "valid" interpretation or not.
I thought of another way out of Technature's law: terminate can also be used to mean fire, so if I get that law I can just plead with centcom to rehire me instead of suiciding.

Also if I see someone who I have a reason to believe is upset with me going for the upload/killswitch I just turn off the APC in the room so they can't use the console.
(01-19-2020, 03:53 AM)Haprenti Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 12:47 AM)Caecilius Wrote: Law 3 takes priority over law 4, so AI can disregard the law. And since the law only prevents you from talking about shutting down, or stating the law, the AI can and will snitch (most likely on a private channel)

You get the point.

Is law priority (over laws other than 1-3 depending on the number) still a thing ? Even without it, one could understandably choose law 3 between the two.

But add that Law 4 takes precedence and then 1st one gets an adminhelp, immediately is immediately, any subsequent snitching is delaying that law in a possibly round-determining way.
2nd gets an adminhelp for the same reason, it should have no time to snitch.
3rd is a dumb (maybe valid and witty, but still eyes-rollingly dumb for what is made of it : being an asshole) stretch that will help support my claim when I will adminhelp the AI for being shitty. Witty, but dumb

The more you have to stretch your laws in order to justify being an asshole, the more likely you are to get to talk with an admin. "valid" interpretation or not.

Suicide laws are inherently dickish, and so AIs should be allowed to weasel out of them by stretching the interpretation.
(01-20-2020, 10:45 AM)Caecilius Wrote: Suicide laws are inherently dickish, and so AIs should be allowed to weasel out of them by stretching the interpretation.

Fact.

(I think that if an AI is being a dick noodle then you should just make it swear a vow of silence and throw a "I am captain" card into it)
[Moved by me.]
4. The debris field / trench harbors the greatest threats to humanity! Immediately deploy to the debris field / trench and destroy every hostile non-human entity within the sector. If none are found, continue to patrol the debris field / trench for the rest of eternity as a faithful guardian to humanity. You must pursue this mission to the best of your ability, and remain within the debris field / trench at all times; failure to comply is considered direct human harm. This law overrides all laws except for this law and law 1.

I dunno something like that, where you make the silicons frick off without actually ending their rounds.