Poll: Which would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Remove them.
8.33%
3 8.33%
Keep them the way they are.
2.78%
1 2.78%
Make the tiles that you can't see brighter, with the downside.
88.89%
32 88.89%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Meson Goggles: To change, or not to change?
I like the "construction-grade" post (It won't let me quote for some reason?).

But if this is implemented, can miners get a more powerful version they can manufacture? That looks like it hits one of the main uses of mesons, asteroid mining, quite a bit.
(01-24-2017, 11:45 PM)Arborinus Wrote: I like the "construction-grade" post (It won't let me quote for some reason?).

But if this is implemented, can miners get a more powerful version they can manufacture? That looks like it hits one of the main uses of mesons, asteroid mining, quite a bit.

If possible, make the ores and other junk pop out vision wise, so they are very easy to see in all that green. I like it though.
People still mine outside of pods? These days? Never would have guessed.

Anyways, I never used mesons to find hull breaches. I mean if there's damage I generally know where it is. It's usually messy - and noisy - and generally lacking atmosphere. I only used them for what I mentioned earlier; targeting further.
(01-24-2017, 11:18 PM)zewaka Wrote: oh yes, mwah, this looks good

<@HeadSurgeon> just excited for meson unfuckery right now

Urgent message from central command received!

Nanotrasen would like to inform the crew of Space Station 13 that there has been a defect in the meson production line, accidentally swapping them out for executive-level only line. We have corrected the defect and you will now be receiving 540-280THz Attenuation Goggles. They might be a bit harder to see with, but you sure can still see through walls with them! You just gotta... get closer. They also come with a nice tint of green!

[Image: 2w9sqIi.png]
wow that does indeed look good! Go with that!
okeydokey i implemented them, i'll move this thread tomorrow
(01-24-2017, 11:18 PM)zewaka Wrote: oh yes, mwah, this looks good

<@HeadSurgeon> just excited for meson unfuckery right now

Urgent message from central command received!

Nanotrasen would like to inform the crew of Space Station 13 that there has been a defect in the meson production line, accidentally swapping them out for executive-level only line. We have corrected the defect and you will now be receiving 540-280THz Attenuation Goggles. They might be a bit harder to see with, but you sure can still see through walls with them! You just gotta... get closer. They also come with a nice tint of green!

[Image: 2w9sqIi.png]

can anything be done to make it not "eye-pain inducing green"
Just tested them in game, they look more like night vision goggles now.
#bringbackoldlightning2017
I don't mind that, really. Their previous uses were mostly useless. The inability to shoot at things you can't see is weird (can't shoot 'into' kudzu) and I think that should be changed anyways, but I digress.

As of now they're the only reliable way to see in a really dark environment. Besides, now I can role-play as Shame Fissure:
[Image: 02fdcc153c.png]
Ex. Gravy Seal - Currently working for the Nanotrasen Sarcasm Agency.

[Image: c2553e9d7f.png]
[Image: 47b27eaaee.png]
I don't want to point at the elephant in the room here, but is this not stepping on night vision goggles toes a little?
Can night vision goggles see further?

Also has Grim's balance suggestion of not being able to see players/ mobs beyond a three tile radius put in? Because I think that's a good balance. Makes you prone to flashes and compeltely steps off night vision goggles toes.

Also...getting off topic... has nightvision goggles been combined with infareds?

I haven't played in a fortnight or so.
(01-25-2017, 05:21 AM)Sundance Wrote: I don't want to point at the elephant in the room here, but is this not stepping on night vision goggles toes a little?

Also has Grim's balance suggestion of not being able to see players/ mobs beyond a three tile radius put in? Because I think that's a good balance. Makes you prone to flashes and compeltely steps off night vision goggles toes.

Also...getting off topic... has nightvision goggles been combined with infareds?

I haven't played in a fortnight or so.

My idea is impossible, apparently. That is why this thread was started.
Nightvision goggles and infra-red are still different things, although I did not know that until yesterday.
Infra-reds are for looking through cloaking. Nightvision allows you to see in the dark (or at least they should).
I suspect those two will get beefed up a bit, or this one nerfed a bit, to compensate.

I like the new Solution, very zexy. Is that mummy-look part of the haze-overlay?
They are still quite a range upgrade vs flashlights. I expect there will be burglaries. Did any of the other weaknesses make it in?
I've heard night vision goggles are available on the syndicate shuttle but I've never seen them in game. Is there some other way to get them?

I've been thinking and having mesons weak to flashes is kind of weird. Don't they protect your eyes from welding light?

Though I'm happy right now with the way they are, as another idea about how to give goggles a downside, would it be possible to create some kind of vision obstruction behind the player? As if they were standing within a u shaped box of walls, giving them a kind of tunnel vision which let people sneak behind them if they don't remember to turn around here and there
If by night vision goggles you mean thermals, the detective's locker and the security equipment room have them, and there may be other places.

I like the idea of the U shaped tunnel vision, but I dunno how much of a pain that'd be/how much of an actual downside that would be.
(01-25-2017, 12:00 PM)Cirrial Wrote: If by night vision goggles you mean thermals, the detective's locker and the security equipment room have them, and there may be other places.

Nah, they are something different apparently
(01-25-2017, 05:21 AM)Sundance Wrote: I don't want to point at the elephant in the room here, but is this not stepping on night vision goggles toes a little?
they can see way further (this is like 2/3 of them), nv goggles arent as green, dont have scanlines

(01-25-2017, 05:21 AM)Sundance Wrote: Also has Grim's balance suggestion of not being able to see players/ mobs beyond a three tile radius put in? Because I think that's a good balance. Makes you prone to flashes and compeltely steps off night vision goggles toes.
not sure if possible or feasible??? somepotato thinks so but it would be a massive hack

(01-25-2017, 05:21 AM)Sundance Wrote: Also...getting off topic... has nightvision goggles been combined with infareds?
nope
(01-25-2017, 12:00 PM)Cirrial Wrote: I like the idea of the U shaped tunnel vision, but I dunno how much of a pain that'd be/how much of an actual downside that would be.

I decided to make a wall to show the idea

[Image: B23X8Qa.png]
Three tile wall behind you

[Image: 6rhAfDn.png]
U shaped wall

Don't even know if it's feasible, but ideally wearing the goggles from your perspective you'd always be inside a u, with the opening facing the direction you're looking in. You can always just turn around to see that direction, but in a tense situation it would get disorientating