Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What makes a good station/ship?
Be careful when adding in quirky rooms, lest they become bloat. Examples of bloat is the bar maint, the area in and around the dnd room, the staff assistant room behind the boxing area, the area around crew quarters. Some might argue the network cafe is bloat. 
When in doubt: amalagamate. Personally all of the above could be fused into one quirky, yet functional room. 
Note that when left with empty space, look at making it a common room, for the respective department.
Some rooms should be nefarious by design, AI blindspots and devoid of air. 
Some rooms like the owrly should be purposefully out of the way, for fun.
I think all quirk rooms should have a secondary purpose beyond just the quirk

It can serve as a short cut, a blind spot for spawning in gear, or a way to give people pursuing you the slip, or a sort of way of slowing down traffic through spectacle (i.e. the boxing ring). The trick tailoring that purpose to the theme of the room and it's location to other areas.
(01-24-2017, 10:14 AM)Sundance Wrote: Heck this makes me want to finish designing my map.

me so much
I recently started delving into DreamMaker, coding and mapping. I have lots of programming experience so it actually was pretty quick to pick up! I mapped a slightly different engine layout the other day, and just kept making more stuff around it. It's actually gotten to the point where I could make a real map around it. So my question to you, other goon players, is what do you like to see in a map?
A proper owlery is a must in any good map.

I conjecture that the lack of an owlery is the main cause behind destiny's relative lack of popularity.
(05-18-2017, 01:05 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: A proper owlery is a must in any good map.

I conjecture that the lack of an owlery is the main cause behind destiny's relative lack of popularity.

Very good point. Owls are important!
my #1 request in any map is that the AI cameras be arranged on a grid that actually flows forward and backward. And APCs that are in view of cameras.

Aside from that, I like maps with lots of personal work space, spots that are unlikely to be huge traffic throughways with nice counters / tables and other stuff to set up a lengthy chem / food / assembly job and not have to run around for bits.
(05-18-2017, 01:05 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: A proper owlery is a must in any good map.

Destiny does have a owlery. its near the top of the ship.
(05-18-2017, 01:17 PM)HydroFloric Wrote: Destiny does have a owlery. its near the top of the ship.

That's the Aviary, not the owlery.
Nice wide halls if it's going to be for a decent pop

Lots of maintenance tunnels and 'unofficial' routes throughout the station

rooms of varying dimension and shape

medical can break into science
(05-18-2017, 01:23 PM)elan_oots Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 01:17 PM)HydroFloric Wrote: Destiny does have a owlery. its near the top of the ship.

I mean it has owls does it not?
a map big enough that you can walk in maint without running into a party
Traffic control. You want people to come into contact often, but not be a burden on one-another.

Cog1 is a good example. One main path leading from arrivals/thebar to escape/medical with alternative routes that are smaller and inconvenient, but still usable. The civilian, medsci, and engineering sectors are linked together in an intelligent fashion that allows for easy cooperation. It's also doesn't restrict vision much, so you can see other people even if you can't reach them.
(05-18-2017, 02:13 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Traffic control. You want people to come into contact often, but not be a burden on one-another.

Cog1 is a good example. One main path leading from arrivals/thebar to escape/medical with alternative routes that are smaller and inconvenient, but still usable. The civilian, medsci, and engineering sectors are linked together in an intelligent fashion that allows for easy cooperation. It's also doesn't restrict vision much, so you can see other people even if you can't reach them.

Ditto. Plus, Cog 1 has little alcoves and waiting areas near departments that are still connected to the main hallway, but pulls you away from the foot traffic.

That little bit of liminal space really makes a difference
(05-18-2017, 01:56 PM)HydroFloric Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 01:23 PM)elan_oots Wrote:

I mean it has owls does it not?

There's as much difference between an aviary and an owlery as there is between filet mignon and potted meat, you uncultured heathen.