Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Work-releases program
Ive been doing a bit of security again recently, and I've been experimenting with some ideas for lightly punishing players when brig time seems a bit excessive. For example, I may arrest someone for something like beating the shit out of someone who ends up surviving. I usually don't consider it a big deal if no lasting harm comes from it, and at the moment I'd probably slap them on the wrist with 30 seconds in the brig with an optional swirlie sometimes included. I experimented a bit recently with some alternative punishments (because people will actually suicide over 30 seconds in the brig). One I found that tends to work well and that gives caught players something to do is to let them out on work-release. To do so I've currently just been saying something like "You can leave right now if you agree to fix up this hull breach". I have yet to have someone say no to this deal if I offer it. The problem is that I have absolutely no way to really prevent them from fucking off into space, and it ends up being a "get out of the brig free" card. This brings me to my idea: Ankle bracelets.

Ankle bracelets just about how you would expect. You put it on someone being released (Easiest to do and code is probably to make it shoe slot item). This item would work like an electropack - it cannot be removed by the wearer, but they can just bribe someone else to take it off (Which sends an alarm to security). At any time security, or whoever has access to their computers/PDAs, can ping an ankle monitor to find out where the person is. These wouldnt be exact results, but something along the lines of "Joe Schitt is in the Cafeteria". Security, or whoever, can then track them down easily if they break their release deal.

Thats the basic version, but I can also think of a few fun adjustments that would make it a bit more interesting (But require extra coding effort):
- Give it a limited number of "pings" by security. Nanotrasen can't be expected to pay for something frivolous like good batteries, after all.
- Allow it to be removed with hacking. Hack your bracelet off and stick it on the clown!
- Have advanced shakle-bracelets that security can use to instantly shackle the wearer with the touch of a button
- Give them a timer. Once your work release time is up the bracelet falls off and disintegrates instantly.
Oooh I like this! Also, I think there could be Stun Bracelets in the armory, which (you guessed it), remotely stunned and tracked wearers, but with limited uses.

Also I need to try that community service punishment. It sounds great.
Electropacks already have that shocking functionality. I suppose you can also shove a tracking implant in someone for the ankle effect, but thats just way to hard to track with in practice.
Giving more options to secoffs is always a good thing. I have problems with how sec seems to have kid-gloves forced on them in regard to the more violent criminals, but that's another thread.
Some relvent suggestions I remember seeing in another thread:
1. If they aren't already, make it so electropacks have to be resisted out of instead of being able to be removed normally. I am pretty sure it is already like that, but just in case.
2. Make electropacks work like normal backpacks, but they shock you if you try to put contraband in them.
Why not make a backpack that acts like that? Security has say, 10 of them, and has known traitors/criminals/miscreants wear them, and if they try to take it off, or like Birb said, put contraband in it, it shocks them.
Electropacks cannot be removed by their wearer if they're worn while active. Also they're giant batteries, they don't store items!
It also removes your ability to store larger items in exchange for getting beaten up with a radio. If someone put this on me and told me to fix things, I'd go make out with the nearest changeling just to spite them.

But a shock tag that doesn't take up a valuable slot and still lets me do stuff? Yeah you better believe I'll go along with your community service guff.
its a nice idea on paper but im having a hard time seeing this carried out ingame
Electro packs are pretty punative since they take away your backpack. I'd be for replacing them with a shoe slot equivalent since it frees up the back for a bag or airtank

Either way, I think it makes sense to merge this idea, tracker implants,and electropacks into one item
I don't think I've ever seen anyone have trouble finding a person to remove electropacks. IMHO they're only use is in electric chairs.

If any of these things can be removed by the clown then they're kinda moot. Give them tamper-proofing that shocks removers (and parolees) that aren't wearing sec-level ids. Insulated gloves would naturally negate this... for the remover, anyways.

Tracker implants would be neat. They could use somepotato's 'GPS' (buddy pathing lines) or pinpointer tracking. They could also be removed quite easily.
I don't want this to be something that is difficult to remove. After all, I imagine this as something that is a fun alternative that lets people get out of minor brig times, not something for punishing rampagers. This is also one of the reasons I like the idea of a removal alarm - Once that goes off sec can just set them to arrest and shove the jerk in a brig for a much longer sentence if they catch them. Sure, you can get out, but is it really worth the hassle?
My 'tough on crime'-mindset sees nothing wrong with robbing people of their backpack slot. Letting them out of the brig is already a convoluted mercy granted by the Sec-team. If people would rather stew in the brig or suicide, then let them do that.
Iirc there is also a tracking implant box in Sec HQ (which comes with an implanter and GPS units for ease of use).

If the electro pack/angle bracelet can be removed through any means that don't require 2nd-player assistance (eg by simply amputating the limb it's attached to), it becomes a get-out-jail card. If it becomes a get-out-jail card, no Sec officer will ever bother strapping it on, as there are already plenty of ways to let people of jail and/or fuck up at keeping traitors in check.
^ As a player who plays nothing but security (most of the time I'm rusty as hell so need time before I start playing security full time again) I agree 100% with this statement.
Actually I would find it hilarious if the criminal chopped their own leg off to get away. Perhaps it can only be taken off by someone with a sec ID normally?