Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another Couple of Wizard Spells
Pretty positive reaction to the Summon Familiar concept, so I've flagged that one for coding and I present to you two other ideas!

Transposing Grasp (idea credit to Pizzatiger!)

This choice grants you the Transposing Grasp spell and the Orb of Translocation, a unique item that you better make damn well sure you don't drop because you aren't getting another one!

Transposing Grasp, much like Shocking Grasp, requires you to stand still next to your target for a while, and then you whisk your target into the magical space between spaces, hurling them somewhere else of your choice!

How do you decide where this is? That's what the Orb of Translocation is for!

The Orb of Translocation allows the magical user (and only the magical user -- non-magical users may be in for a, ahem, shock if they get their grubby mitts on it) to mark a non-space tile as their chosen target point for their translocatory magics. It also allows the wizard to decide whether they want to leave a small rift or a large rift.

(A potential side idea, perhaps the orb could be socketed into the fancier eldritch staff, to prevent it being lost!)

The difference is, a large rift works as discussed - it sends the victim to this tile. A small rift instead sends a random, non-vital limb or organ to this tile instead, if that's what you think would work better.

There are, however, caveats to this spell! If you try to cast it on yourself as a quick getaway, there's a chance you'll leave your casting arm behind! Even worse, there's an even smaller chance your staff will be left behind with it!

If the target turf is freezing cold or engulfed with flames, you'll also take some minor burning damage as your hand comes into contact with the location for the fleeting moment it takes to launch your target into it!

In addition, using this spell without a staff leaves horrible room for error, sending the wrong thing to the target location, potentially including your own parts or your entire self in an unpredictable manner!

"But Cirr," I hear you not say, "what about all these limbs I don't have? How am I gonna use my magic now?!"

Excruciating Mend (idea credit to Pizzatiger and Ferriswheel!)

Finally, limbless wizards need fear no longer, kind of!
This spell, on casting onto a target, heals minor damage (either stabilises from crit, or heals somewhere between 10-20 damage across the board), and regenerates at random a single missing limb. However, the process is excruciating! The pain will knock the target out for a bit. Best not used in the middle of a combat situation!*

*a situation where you are already being kicked to death because you let them catch you, you fool

You can also use this as a stun on your enemies, although it comes with the risk of helping them to defeat you when they come to!
+1
I like excruciating mend. Seems fitting.
If I cast this without a staff and try to get away, is there a chance that only my head will be sent? If so, this is a great idea.
some way for a wiz to get limbs back is good idea, since they often are all alone in the world and cannot count on any surgery help

but is it really good enough to warrant a place in the already tight spell list allowance? maybe it would be better as a magic relimbinator service offered at the wiz lair?

as for the teleport sending thing its basically just a magic version of the mechanics telepad component traps so sure ok
'Excruciating Mend' is good. While a wizard could go out to the derelict field, craft a limb there and self-surgery it on, doing that is dangerous and tedious. On top of that, Mugwort tea is limited in supply, so a healing spell is a good addition. And Wizards have direly few 'Nice WIzard'-spells, which I think, should be more of an option.

I like the basic idea of 'Transposing Grasp'. It's like the teleport gun Traitor item. But the 'Orb of Translocation' aspect confuses me. Does it just function like a teleport tracking beacon? Could this function be covered by a second spell? Are there distinct advantages to using an orb over using spell, or a random location?

(01-16-2017, 03:08 PM)Cirrial Wrote: Pretty positive reaction to the Summon Familiar concept, so I've flagged that one for coding and I present to you two other ideas!
How did you whose in the what now?
This! I've added it to my original post as well now.