Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wizard Spell - Summon Familiar
With the advent of Baleful Polymorph leading to much anguish and rejoicing all around, it came up during the IRC that maybe there could be a new wizard spell that functions to summon just one critter, the wizard's familiar. It should be called something like Summon Familiar (unless anyone has a better idea).

The player for the wizard's familiar would either be a ghost selected by the same criteria random event antagonists are (e.g. no suicides allowed), or perhaps an unlucky victim whose spirit is wrenched from their living body and bound into the arcane flesh of a familiar beastie.

While the wizard has a living familiar, the two could potentially communicate over some form of weird freaky magic connection without worries about the mundanes eavesdropping on them, and the Summon Familiar spell functions instead to teleport said familiar directly to the wizard, wherever they may be. Of course, if the familiar gets killed, which is likely, the spell would then function as before to recruit some new hapless sod as the wizard's distraction companion.

The familiar itself would be some randomly selected weaker critter, with access to a single magic spell (some weaker forms of existing wizard spells, like a single magic missile, or a wimpy little fireball, etc.) with an incredibly long cooldown, entirely chosen at random upon creation. They would be bound to the wizard's will in the same way a mindslave is bound to their master; completely loyal in every way to whatever the wizard commands.

Just in case, there should probably also be a Dismiss Familiar spell received for free if the chosen familiar is really absolutely terrible and useless, which should cause the familiar to quietly vaporise in a puff of mystical sparkles or whatever. 

My only concerns would be that this might be going too far against the spirit of wizard as a force of loud and flashy destruction, where this might open up a strange approach of a wizard abducting people and then directing them from afar to ineffectually cause chaos in their absence. Or ordering them to steal the captain's spare if the critter can pick up ID cards.

What do you guys think?
It's a good idea as long as it's birbs who get to be your pal and they get a wizard hat when they spawn.
"Wizard Spell - Summon Familiar"

I liked the idea at that. Even if it was just some attack-critter that was tethered to the player.
Can we make it so when they are killed they explode like a fireball does?
Add a :f frequency. f as in familiar, not fart.
(01-13-2017, 05:43 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Can we make it so when they are killed they explode like a fireball does?

Sure I guess why not

Edit: With a bit more thought, I've decided (for my own plans to implement this) that a familiar will gain some sort of specific arcane nature (at random) that affects what familiar spells they get and what happens when they die. This arcane nature will also work as a tell for the critter, so if the wizard is running around polymorphing people the familiar can't just blend into the zoo crew. The idea is after casting a spell, during the cooldown, there'd be some sort of animation or particle effect going on around the critter until the spell cooldown finishes, whereupon they can try masquerading as an ordinary talking animal instead. what the hell did I just type

Current plans for arcane natures and spells currently undergoing some planning, but ideally the arcane natures would be something a little weirder than just your standard classical elements, as those are already well represented in the wizardly repetoire. For example, "life", "crystal", "spark", "plasma" (oh no), "vacuum/force", "machine", etc etc
Make sure to include a Butt familiar!

A living Robutty! That can cast debutting spells!