Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adjust the darkness on the new lighting.
This is highly subjective but I think the unlit darkness should be lightened, and light producing objects should have an expanded radius. So I guess I generally agree with this suggestion.
i like how dark it can get now too, but i think its quite funny how well lit the outside always is
I'm kinda conflicted about this, because I do get eyestrain trying to make out details in the dark but I also love the fact that flashlights and stuff are needed more because of it.

I like the idea of just making existing light sources better. A brighter default PDA light, being able to project beams. It would be helpful if flashlights were placed at all the maintenance tunnel openings. Also, some proper night vision goggles or something for Sec. Maybe some antag abilities for vampires and changelings as well?

As for emergency lights in the tunnels, would it be possible to create a pulsing light effect, with it slowly going from dark to brighter and back down again? I feel like that would create some nice ambiance.
I like the idea of light sources such as flashlights and PDA lights being increased. I feel like it's almost a necessity these days to either load up on lights or get the high powered flashlight for the PDA to really go anywhere outside of the main hallways, and I don't like it.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a result of the new lighting, but hard hat lights feel significantly worse than they did on Cog1/before the new lighting changes.
I don't know if this is possible with lighting code, but what if some light sources (flashlights, hard hats) projected a bright cone in the direction the holder is facing rather than a dim circular light? Flashlights could get directional sprites and laying them on the ground keeps them facing whatever direction.
(01-13-2017, 07:36 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Do people have the brightness turned down on their monitors? Even in the tunnels with no lights on you can still slightly make out what's what. You may have to strain to see a little but that's what happens when there's no light!

For the record my Brightness is at 50. If there were in game brightness settings I would have just turned it up instead of making this thread

Also if light sources get a buff I'd be down with that. I Wish I thought of that as it makes for a good middle ground on this topic.
idea: fix thermal and mesons, giving them basically nightvision so you can break into sec or engineering if you want to be a robust tunnel dweller, and sacrifice your sunglasses
(01-13-2017, 06:10 PM)zewaka Wrote: idea: fix thermal and mesons, giving them basically nightvision so you can break into sec or engineering if you want to be a robust tunnel dweller, and sacrifice your sunglasses

Yes. This would be awesome. I'd keep a pair of these in my packpack for when I go in maint before being flashed by the vampire.
Add such a functionality to X-Ray vision too please.
Does the trait that's supposed to let you see two tiles further in the dark let you see two tiles further in the dark?
I enjoy how dark things can get, but I find available portable light sources to be woefully weak - PDA lights barely illuminate your character and flashlights barely cut more than two squares around you.

If they were made brighter, exploring in the dark may be an enjoyable (and potentially less eye straining) experience.
I think extending the range of light sources and making flashlights brighter will solve most of the issues with it. I kinda like how dark it gets, just not having to carry around two flashlights in addition to the PDA to be able to see anything.
(01-14-2017, 12:22 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: I think extending the range of light sources and making flashlights brighter will solve most of the issues with it. I kinda like how dark it gets, just not having to carry around two flashlights in addition to the PDA to be able to see anything.

Yeah I'm liking this suggestion made by you and others better then my original suggestion of adjusting the darkness
(01-13-2017, 01:02 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'm kinda conflicted about this, because I do get eyestrain trying to make out details in the dark but I also love the fact that flashlights and stuff are needed more because of it.

I like the idea of just making existing light sources better. A brighter default PDA light, being able to project beams. It would be helpful if flashlights were placed at all the maintenance tunnel openings. Also, some proper night vision goggles or something for Sec. Maybe some antag abilities for vampires and changelings as well?

As for emergency lights in the tunnels, would it be possible to create a pulsing light effect, with it slowly going from dark to brighter and back down again? I feel like that would create some nice ambiance.

The nukes op's shuttle has night vision goggles actually so we could add some of those too sec.
(01-14-2017, 12:36 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 12:22 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: I think extending the range of light sources and making flashlights brighter will solve most of the issues with it. I kinda like how dark it gets, just not having to carry around two flashlights in addition to the PDA to be able to see anything.

Yeah I'm liking this suggestion made by you and others better then my original suggestion of adjusting the darkness

I also agree, make light items actually effective before you make the ambience worse