Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adjust the darkness on the new lighting.
"Does the new lighting make it too dark in some places?"

SO I asked this in OOC in a couple of rounds and I and others have stated that yes, yes it does. I'm am requesting that how dark it is, is well adjusted. I need a hard hat and two flashlights just to see well in Tunnels and hallways and this is with the cat eye trait (Which is pretty much a must have right now) I've also seen people fall into traps cause they could not see.

I see the plus side though, hiding in shadows does beat hiding in lockers in some situations.

I want to hear more thoughts from players though so I made this thread.
Yes please. Not just for playability but for comfort's sake. I get awful eyestrain when some dick drops a power sink/breaks all the lights.
[Image: ucUZ2qf.png]
Here's a image of me asking it. If need be I can post images of how dark it can get with and with out lights equipped but that would have to come later from me.

I bought this up in a past round when a coder was on and he said it was made that way because of realism to which I asked "What does realism have to do with a 2d Spaceman game about farts?" He just said it's impossible to have a logically conversation with me and after some others started saying they did not like it either he left. To the coder who that was I want to apologize for being passive aggressive when you wanted to have a real conversation about it. That was shitty of me and I understand that my comment most likely put you in a bad mode. Hopefully with that behind us if you read this I just want to say realism has it's place in the game if it's fun. If it's Realistic and annoying then I don't think it belongs in this game. Sure this game can annoy and even send some into a rage but that tends to be from player interaction not for features made to make the game better.
Nah!

I mean... you're in space with no ambient light... inside of a metal ship... it's ought to be pitch black where there's no light. We get the little halo around our characters now and you can get the high-powered flashlight upgrade for your pda, a handheld flashlight, or a hard hat with a light on it.

Do you think it's too dark overall or just in the tunnels? We need some dark spots for nefarious things to happen.
(01-13-2017, 05:44 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Nah!

I mean... you're in space with no ambient light... inside of a metal ship... it's ought to be pitch black where there's no light. We get the little halo around our characters now and you can get the high-powered flashlight upgrade for your pda, a handheld flashlight, or a hard hat with a light on it.

Do you think it's too dark overall or just in the tunnels? We need some dark spots for nefarious things to happen.

I'm not looking at this from a immersion point of view. I'm looking at this at a gameplay point of view. I'm not asking for it to be removed I'm asking for it to be adjusted so that I can see even with a flashlight and a hardhat. Some of us have bad eyes and this makes me want to avoid tunnels completely now.

Also this makes trap makers lazy. I like getting killed by a trap cause I was fooled by the maker in some way. Not cause I could not see two squares in front of me. If we really want to go full realism with this then our eyes should at least adjust like they do in real life.
(01-13-2017, 05:51 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 05:44 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Snip
Snap

Ah, I see. That's fair enough I suppose and if enough folks support it, go for it. I don't mind it as is but maybe some red emergency lights could be scattered around the tunnels more frequently?

I'm leary, however, because at some point it ends up taking away from the tunnels being a place where you can lie in wait for easy targets who can't see you. That, to me, seems to be the very reason they are so dark.
Personally I'd just enjoy it if it was even possible to illuminate places at all sometimes. The debris field is filled with impenetrable darkness.
I like how dark it can get now, feels like it's important to have a flashlight on me when wandering into a creepy maint tunnel. But that's just my opinion!
(01-13-2017, 06:07 AM)Cirrial Wrote: Personally I'd just enjoy it if it was even possible to illuminate places at all sometimes. The debris field is filled with impenetrable darkness.

By gods, this is the worst issue. Even coders don't know how to fix this. Try to light a ton of lights in a mined asteroid for me, I am just too lazy.

(01-13-2017, 05:44 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: We get the little halo around our characters now

I can't see with the halo without concentration.
I like actually dark darkness. Maybe increase the illumination radius of most light producing objects?
No please do this, it is way to dark sometimes and even with a flashlight I have to stare at my screen up close to even figure out where I am.
I prefer the darkness. It makes a good distinction between normal, functional ship areas and spooky/broke places.
Do people have the brightness turned down on their monitors? Even in the tunnels with no lights on you can still slightly make out what's what. You may have to strain to see a little but that's what happens when there's no light!
I would keep the darkness the way it is, but make light sources like flashlights more effective. I have good enough eyesight that I can usually see with just the default PDA light.
Why not just make flashlights and stuff make a beam of light in front of you, but not besides or behind you? It'd really help.