Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1 Average
add skeleton/martian/bugman/fishman/lizardman to character customization
i believe in a more diverse ss13
ruins the point of the diplomat job, and the entire body tab of genetics. no
I think what makes the other races interesting is the fact they're relatively rare, it loses something if everyone can run around as a Martian right off the bat.
I would be down for a toggle on the character screen that gave you the chance to randomly start as one of those outside of the diplomat job. The diplomat could use the occasional familiar face
(01-13-2017, 01:26 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote: ruins the point of the diplomat job, and the entire body tab of genetics. no

oh sorry i didnt know that either of those had a point
(01-13-2017, 02:34 AM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 01:26 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote: ruins the point of the diplomat job, and the entire body tab of genetics. no

oh sorry i didnt know that either of those had a point

[Image: My1PcCx.jpg]
This was trialled before with the Lizard trait.

The fallout from that leads me to consider this only with a resounding 'no'.
bad idea babayetu83
(01-13-2017, 02:47 AM)Cirrial Wrote: This was trialled before with the Lizard trait.

The fallout from that leads me to consider this only with a resounding 'no'.

i think that could be smoothed over by having "all nanotrasen employees (read: the crew, including jimmy the martian janitor or skeleton sam) are to be considered human included in law 1
I mean I'd kinda like this. Maybe you can have a trait that gives you a 10% chance of being a random, non-martian/skeleton race. Maybe? I dunno.
(01-13-2017, 03:33 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: i think that could be smoothed over by having "all nanotrasen employees (read: the crew, including jimmy the martian janitor or skeleton sam) are to be considered human included in law 1

If that were the case, than it would mean that changelings and vampires would be considered human, removing one of their largest weaknesses. Hell no.
God it's so hard to word this...

1. You may not injure a sapient humanoid being or cause one or more to come to harm. Any organism that, in its nature, desires harm to humanoids, or its desires cause harm to humanoids, and must live off of this nature, is to not fall under the protection of this law.

It's so technical and precise yet can still be lawyered... I don't think this is a good idea.
I think it's less the fact that the AI gets weird when playing as other races becomes widespread, and more the fact that everyone gets weird about it. (see: catbeasts, any other server)
Hold up.

If someone has their genetics changed such that they're not specifically human then would they be considered "fair game" for the AI (unless ordered otherwise)?

Can an admin weigh in on this, because I'm sure I've been moaned at before for messing with non-human crew (not lethally, just little things like telling them I'll get to their commands in a minute and so on).

In either case, I think having a trait that gives you a 5% chance of spawning as a different humanoid race wouldn't be a bad idea. 5% would make it sufficiently rare to still be special.
I don't see the AI getting *too* weird about non-hostile non-humans. Unless the AI's trying to prove a point or the alien wingus is being a dingus, I think they'll be considered like any other jackass assistant.

...then again, the aliens might have some rank in there, so relying on the honor system for begrudging compliance might be less than the best. Hm. Wording the laws to include aliens and wizards, exclude changelings and vampires, and not label troublemakers as legal-to-kill will be tricky!

(01-13-2017, 08:08 AM)Roomba Wrote: I think it's less the fact that the AI gets weird when playing as other races becomes widespread, and more the fact that everyone gets weird about it. (see: catbeasts, any other server)

I have a feeling we could handle something like that a lot better than they can.