Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Locusts did some sprites
(11-09-2018, 08:39 AM)locusts Wrote: Based on feedback in the Discord I'm going to do forward and rear facing sprites. I've also made some small tweaks to the existing sprites, so I will post an updated sprite set once all done.

For this do you mean sprites that face N/S/E/W facing? Like how humans look? That's what I thought you meant when I first read it, but I think I misunderstood. But now it occurs to me how strange it is that playable critters only face 2 directions. Any chance of coming up with something that can face 4 ways?
(11-10-2018, 01:04 PM)MeWaka Wrote: Damn, your sprites are goood.

Thanks!

(11-10-2018, 03:02 PM)kyle2143 Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 08:39 AM)locusts Wrote: Based on feedback in the Discord I'm going to do forward and rear facing sprites. I've also made some small tweaks to the existing sprites, so I will post an updated sprite set once all done.

For this do you mean sprites that face N/S/E/W facing? Like how humans look? That's what I thought you meant when I first read it, but I think I misunderstood. But now it occurs to me how strange it is that playable critters only face 2 directions. Any chance of coming up with something that can face 4 ways?

This is what I was asked to do because the sprites I made for frogs were already pointing horizontally. Most critter sprites are at an angle facing the "camera" (see hamsters for an example), creating front/back sprites involves more work and is generally a little harder because side sprites use the more recognisable silhouette of an animal.

Speaking of a lot more work, I have finished all frog sprites. This turned into a pretty big undertaking. All frogs have three frames of animation when moving W/E, two facing N, and two facing S, and a death sprite. This is over 8 species of frog, for a grand total of 64 sprites, just for one critter type. It might be the most animated critter in the game at this point?

Because of how many sprites there are, I've uploaded them into a zip instead of imgur. Please ignore the previous gallery I linked as these are the most recent versions. 
I have a full time job now so I don't have as much spriting time as I used to. With that in mind I want to present something I've been working on and intend to continue expanding.

Snake Pack 1

Presenting your first three snakes! Each snake currently has two sprites, a living and a dead sprite. The living sprite is intended to be able to point in any direction, and can be rapidly flipped to simulate movement! It's a low cost way of creating new snakes, especially after the amount of work frogs took.

The first two snakes are non venomous!

Grass Snake
[Image: 0OJGp6Y.png][Image: xIVLGkx.png]

Milk Snake
[Image: AuZDAst.png][Image: JJbqrKt.png]
The final snake is venomous and you should be careful!

Coral Snake
[Image: obj2Cj2.png][Image: RotBiNI.png]

What's coming in Snake Pack 2?

Rattlesnakes! Cobras! Pythons! Vipers? Special sprites!
Turns out I have spare time at work so I made some squirrels. Could be ghost critter candidates.

Eastern Grey Squirrel
[Image: XZBMwt0.png][Image: wg7oxGL.png]

Red Squirrel
[Image: dVWX6US.png][Image: Yxa224V.png]
Presenting: Capybaras!

Capybara
[Image: YI3Hr8U.png][Image: 1PJGASv.png][Image: aa8xNUg.png]

I didn't do a death sprite because I decided it's not right to. Instead it just sits down for a bit, then gets up again later on. Sometimes a bird sits on it.
Incidentally, here's my to-do list. If anyone wants to particularly see something that's on there I can raise the priority for it.

I'll have some moths for you soon (better than the one I previously attempted), then I'm going to finish off snakes.
Have some moths. Ideal ghost candidate critters, as they're just night butterflies.

Death's Head Moth
[Image: 0Jf3IYw.png][Image: W2rLl3J.png]
Rosy Maple Moth
[Image: mQrT3IF.png][Image: 3hYaVqh.png]
Cecropia Moth
[Image: nmaUXgu.png][Image: 8nEg7lA.png]
Silk Moth
[Image: 2mad9jd.png][Image: Zwc1Nnl.png]
I'm looking to expand a little beyond critters and add some cryptids to the game, and here's my first one: Mothman!

[Image: s3oot70.png]
Two more critters!

Goldfish
[Image: tPSnrjy.png][Image: mC3UddH.png]
The goldfish is in a robotic goldfish bowl. Therefore it has hands and can pick stuff up!

Scorpion
[Image: C9H32Se.png][Image: 30j8MQT.png]
We're very sorry, we don't know how these got on the station. Please don't pet them, they're extremely venomous.
Will the scorpions be able to wield crossbows?
Sure, why not.

Another new creation this week! This one is shy but very deadly, so please try not to spook it.

Cassowary
[Image: 0MNe06b.png][Image: RaLuKdr.png]
It's the winter months so time for a chilly animal!

Emperor Penguin
[Image: yPNXnw2.png][Image: hX11zGn.png][Image: WXfVytE.png][Image: MjsAWQY.png]
(12-18-2018, 10:26 AM)locusts Wrote: It's the winter months so time for a chilly animal!

Emperor Penguin
[Image: yPNXnw2.png][Image: hX11zGn.png][Image: WXfVytE.png][Image: MjsAWQY.png]

pingu pingu noot noot
Leopard Gecko
[Image: Rihbqqs.png][Image: PK61CVL.png][Image: xfGsHSx.png][Image: 5fvqfhA.png]

Geckos come with detachable tails for real autotomy action! The way I envisioned it working is that if the gecko "dies" the tail pops off and becomes an item that can be picked up, the gecko is restored to full health and continues tail-less until it dies for real.