Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brain assemblies?
At the moment, from personal experience of what exists in the code, brain assemblies can see the same as ghosts can, what with them being on the edge of life and death as it is. You can even see ghosts, too! You can't hear them but you can see them. I had a great time being an eye in the sky to the guy who was carrying me around, shouting about every new ghost I saw and which doors had fire behind them or not.

One thing I think would be great is, if adding an AI interface card to the current assembly before finishing it, the brain assembly could get the ability to open and close doors and turn light switches on and off within visible range. No other machine operation, just doors and light switches. Maybe other buttons.
(01-12-2017, 06:28 AM)Cirrial Wrote: One thing I think would be great is, if adding an AI interface card to the current assembly before finishing it, the brain assembly could get the ability to open and close doors and turn light switches on and off within visible range. No other machine operation, just doors and light switches. Maybe other buttons.

Little like a personal AI! Just clunky and unethical. I LOVE IT

Maybe with the option of adding actual limbs to let it do things? Maybe not, but maybe so. Like, one limb maximum. So, you could add an arm for it to crawl around, or a leg to hop around. They'd solely be for slow movement.
One arm without restrictions would be neat. I can see a lot of applications there. Give them a gun and make them a turrent, or hand them a bomb to set off, or a syringe to inject you with when you need it.
(01-12-2017, 07:55 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: One arm without restrictions would be neat. I can see a lot of applications there. Give them a gun and make them a turrent, or hand them a bomb to set off, or a syringe to inject you with when you need it.

That'd be cool. Still being able to crawl around, too.

Also possibly giving them some kind of inventory space? Like, sticking a box on the assembly, and that acts as storage.

Also hats. Let them have hats.
(01-12-2017, 08:02 AM)aft2001 Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 07:55 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: One arm without restrictions would be neat. I can see a lot of applications there. Give them a gun and make them a turrent, or hand them a bomb to set off, or a syringe to inject you with when you need it.

That'd be cool. Still being able to crawl around, too.

Also possibly giving them some kind of inventory space? Like, sticking a box on the assembly, and that acts as storage.

Also hats. Let them have hats.

I'm tempted to say no movement option, just an arm. Functions as a human arm (able to pick up any object a human could, grab intent?, hold guns, etc). Folks can pick it up but it won't fit in backpacks or boxes but does fit into crates and lockers. This way as a brain assembly you won't be forgotten in some corpse's backpack that spends the entire round lying in a tunnel.

It's the black market pocket buddy.
Yeah, I think one limb/AI interface card slot is a good balance. I'm also against them having item storage. Whatever you want them to interact or grab should have to be within a tiles range. You could still leave a bunch of stuff nearby for them to use, as they'd make great assistants for surgery

You can pick one of the following:
1. Arm for grabbing and interacting with items
2. Legs, treads for moving
3. AI board for remotely interacting with doors/computers

Pick which one you want when building one of these. Though, maybe an armbot could hold onto a legbot and be dragged around that way?

Another idea: Use a player brain to let them control the bot, and synth brains to leave it open for any ghosts to jump into?
(01-12-2017, 10:11 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Another idea: Use a player brain to let them control the bot, and synth brains to leave it open for any ghosts to jump into?

Ooh yes, but the ghost has a sort of additional law that can't be overridden. Basically, they don't remember ANY of their previous life, and can't act upon any information gained from being a ghost.

Also normal brains have the same rule. Except the previous life bit.
TBH I still kinda want jars that brains can live inside. Maybe let the player change the color of the inside of the jar for some kind of expressiveness. For instance turning red before insulting the roboticist for not giving you a body.

Not sure if you can deal with the camera stuff though if a roboticist just starts mass producing brain jars and carries them in a backpack or satchel.

edit: I recall one suggestion someone made where they could be worn like hats, which would be extra entertaining on drones. Having your brain be kept alive in a jar only to be permanently affixed to a roomba.
(01-12-2017, 12:08 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: TBH I still kinda want jars that brains can live inside. Maybe let the player change the color of the inside of the jar for some kind of expressiveness. For instance turning red before insulting the roboticist for not giving you a body.

Not sure if you can deal with the camera stuff though if a roboticist just starts mass producing brain jars and carries them in a backpack or satchel.

edit: I recall one suggestion someone made where they could be worn like hats, which would be extra entertaining on drones. Having your brain be kept alive in a jar only to be permanently affixed to a roomba.

That would be like attaching it to a Floor bot as a hat... It's a Bit more like being permanently affixed to a Very drunk Noob's head, he can't take you off his head because it takes most of his concentration to move in ONE direction.
Ooh it'd be cool if you could stick brains into bots. So, if a janitor wasn't doing his job, then he'd be (totally 100% legally and humanely) turned into a Cleanbot.

They'd either have the AI laws and be told that humans want them to do whatever the bot does. Of course, if the AI were on a murderous rampage, so would the sentient bots. Which... Have all access(?). Okay that needs to be patched before this happens.

Fitting punishment for an engineer who refuses to fix hulls to be put into a floorbot.

And I love the brain jar idea. Stick a radio and a sensor on it so it can speak and see in a 3x3 area. Also if it's thrown it should shatter after a few times, causing the brain to eventually die.
(01-13-2017, 07:55 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Ooh it'd be cool if you could stick brains into bots. So, if a janitor wasn't doing his job, then he'd be (totally 100% legally and humanely) turned into a Cleanbot.

They'd either have the AI laws and be told that humans want them to do whatever the bot does. Of course, if the AI were on a murderous rampage, so would the sentient bots. Which... Have all access(?). Okay that needs to be patched before this happens.

Fitting punishment for an engineer who refuses to fix hulls to be put into a floorbot.

And I love the brain jar idea. Stick a radio and a sensor on it so it can speak and see in a 3x3 area. Also if it's thrown it should shatter after a few times, causing the brain to eventually die.

Pretty sure that that's an even worse form of cyborgification, and given that cyborgs can cover pretty much all of the same tasks as bots with the exception of a securiton and that that's considered murder if done on an unwilling patient then the above wouldn't fly for most cases.
(01-13-2017, 07:55 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Ooh it'd be cool if you could stick brains into bots. So, if a janitor wasn't doing his job, then he'd be (totally 100% legally and humanely) turned into a Cleanbot.

I made a thread with a similair theme a while back, linking for ideas n stuff

https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6908
This is an ARGHbuddy.

Jeez, did Positronics go out of business? Now the crew's being made into buddies. Yeesh.
I love the brain jar idea. Changing colors for emotions, perhaps being carried around as an item/worn as a hat/put on the burning Spacemas tree.

Sometimes, you just need an alternative to being expected to be semi-useful or competent. Then comes the brain assembly. Functionally worse things can be thematically fun.