Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Destiny]: Whitelisted dungeon masters.
There are so many things I want to say, but I'm not sure how to articulate them, so I'll just say that this sounds like a really fun idea!
Oooh could DMs make their own patches of sorts designed for their own games and be implemented but DM/admin only? Unless it's good enough to be fully implemented.

For example, a DM wants to have an AI uprising round, where a shit ton of Syndie borgs come in and fuck shit up and borg everyone after some cool events and dodging of missiles or something I dunno. The DM would want to make a very special borg that has hands, and has special stuff like Syndie uplinks and more upgrades and stuff. The DM could code and sprite these and submit them to a coder to put in the code where it can be spawned in using the DM or admin panels.
I normally hate necroing threads, but I was gone when this was created.

What happened to this idea?
Yeah, I really liked this idea. Please don't let it die.
This seems perfect. I feel like I could point my wizard fingers and go *ske-kalowpa* and just start a story!
I'm not a RP player but I also think this is a great idea for the server
Better than the simple (yet still more interesting than plain old extended) antags currently on LLJK1.
(03-22-2017, 07:36 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Better than the simple (yet still more interesting than plain old extended) antags currently on LLJK1.

It'd be like Mini D-days every DM day!
(03-22-2017, 04:08 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: What happened to this idea?

The same thing that happens to nearly every idea on this forum.
people make a lot of ideas, they're hard to compartmentalize into specific categories, thus old and very very good ideas get buried because that's just how this forum is set up, yadda yadda

the admins imo need to be more liberal about moving things to the 'now coders must work on this' section, because some of these are good and hard, some are good and simple, but otherwise have gotten an essential a-okay from admins that should take them out of limbo
Perhaps make the "Idea Limbo" a bit less damning? Like something that's put in the idea limbo subcategory currently might as well go in "Bad threads / terrible or unusable ideas!" because it's pretty much the same.

The Idea Limbo should be something more like "We collectively like this idea, but cannot commit to it. If somebody actually works on it, then we'll patch it through!"

..But look at the Katana idea. Put in limbo, somebody actually coded it and now it's sitting in the patches subforum for literally a year.

I don't know anymore.
Oh yeah, I forgot this exists...
For real, I wanna see what could be done with this, even if it does burn in fire and has to be removed.
(03-23-2017, 06:47 AM)Sundance Wrote: Perhaps make the "Idea Limbo" a bit less damning? Like something that's put in the idea limbo subcategory currently might as well go in "Bad threads / terrible or unusable ideas!" because it's pretty much the same.

The Idea Limbo should be something more like "We collectively like this idea, but cannot commit to it. If somebody actually works on it, then we'll patch it through!"

..But look at the Katana idea. Put in limbo, somebody actually coded it and now it's sitting in the patches subforum for literally a year.

I don't know anymore.

Make 'idea limbo' a step down and put the current, fucking ancient things in it (minus the katana because how is that fucking thing not merged yet???), then have the community (admins+users) vote up some really great ideas like the in-progress borg patch and put them on the IDEA PEDESTAL meant for coders to pick stuff from.

That part of the forum seriously needs TLC, as well as a bit more aggressiveness in making patches Pending rather than just letting them sit and stew forever. I don't think anyone has serious opposition to the katana patch. Like, if the code is there, and the code works, and it fits the flavor & balance of the game, that should be all lights green on an idea/patch bam whammo.

On that note, is anybody in the mood to make an ideas/patches effortpost here or in General Discussion? Because this does feel like a very legitimate problem with our codebase. Now, before anyone says I'm whining and coders are human, my answer to both of those is 'I know'. I'm not asking coders to shit out a masterwork in moments. I'm asking that our forum be run a bit tighter so that great ideas aren't forever damned and half-finished projects get some love. Remember artifact organs? Remember when there was huge support for the idea on several separate threads, then there were sprites made for them, people brainstorming effects in concert with coders, and possibly even coding some of them before all of that collectively dropped off the face of the earth?

EDIT: THINGS IN THE LIMBO THAT ARE IRRELEVANT NOW:
- Jazz lounge music (we don't have a jazz lounge, or at least, not a quality one)
- Fixable remote telescope (it IS fixed)
- Instruments (those are added, as are the discussed pianos, also that thread should imo be named a little more clearly)
(03-23-2017, 07:37 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: On that note, is anybody in the mood to make an ideas/patches effortpost here or in General Discussion? Because this does feel like a very legitimate problem with our codebase. Now, before anyone says I'm whining and coders are human, my answer to both of those is 'I know'. I'm not asking coders to shit out a masterwork in moments. I'm asking that our forum be run a bit tighter so that great ideas aren't forever damned and half-finished projects get some love. Remember artifact organs? Remember when there was huge support for the idea on several separate threads, then there were sprites made for them, people brainstorming effects in concert with coders, and possibly even coding some of them before all of that collectively dropped off the face of the earth?

I'd do it, but I'm trying to finish up that brewable burrito patch right now.

I 100% agree with you, though.
(03-23-2017, 07:37 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Make 'idea limbo' a step down and put the current, fucking ancient things in it (minus the katana because how is that fucking thing not merged yet???), then have the community (admins+users) vote up some really great ideas like the in-progress borg patch and put them on the IDEA PEDESTAL meant for coders to pick stuff from.

That part of the forum seriously needs TLC, as well as a bit more aggressiveness in making patches Pending rather than just letting them sit and stew forever. I don't think anyone has serious opposition to the katana patch. Like, if the code is there, and the code works, and it fits the flavor & balance of the game, that should be all lights green on an idea/patch bam whammo.

On that note, is anybody in the mood to make an ideas/patches effortpost here or in General Discussion? Because this does feel like a very legitimate problem with our codebase. Now, before anyone says I'm whining and coders are human, my answer to both of those is 'I know'. I'm not asking coders to shit out a masterwork in moments. I'm asking that our forum be run a bit tighter so that great ideas aren't forever damned and half-finished projects get some love. Remember artifact organs? Remember when there was huge support for the idea on several separate threads, then there were sprites made for them, people brainstorming effects in concert with coders, and possibly even coding some of them before all of that collectively dropped off the face of the earth?

You're 100% correct. It's quite sad really. So many good ideas that would bring nothing but fun to the game and Joy to it's players go ignored. Who knows when this will change. I've gotten accustom to seeing good ideas lost to the void.

(03-23-2017, 06:47 AM)Sundance Wrote: I don't know anymore.