Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make the tranquilizer rifle less lethal
i dont know a lot about tranquilizer overdose, but i think it would probably be more likely to kill by repressing respiration, making the target too weakened to breathe, risk of slipping into a coma, maybe some heart failure. i guess the resultant oxy damage from that would still be bad for brain health, though.

maybe you could put some kind of rate of fire limiter on the tranq rifle? like make it bolt-action, demanding an extra click to cycle the bolt, to discourage accidental lethal overdosing

of course i have a hard enough time hitting anything anyways, cutting its rate of fire could be too harsh and render it useless
I would just do what I suggested in the original post: Remove bleeding and projectile embedding, and greatly reduce brute damage. That would change it from "Ultra-deadly murder weapon" to "Nonlethal anti-fun gun".
(01-06-2017, 12:04 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: The "Intended" Purpose of the tranq rifle is for dealing with people who are on too many drugs to deal with normally, as haloperidol negates the effects of stimulants and causes them to drain faster. In practice, basically nobody uses the rifle unless they are intending to kill someone, and trying to use it nonleathaly turns into a hassle of dragging them to medbay to stop the bleeding, administer mannitol, and cut out the darts in that order.

lets be real

much like the detective the only reason people play md is for the gun
Actually I've been playing MD more these days out of desperation that people aren't looking after things like cryo tubes, the cloner or borgs with no roboticists. Basically to have the level of access required to fix all these problems without hacking all the doors.

I'm apparently a super micromanager in any role of authority.

I will confess to having used the rifle more as a traitor than as a means of bringing down someone with space madness or drugs or mutant overdrive or what have you. Again, this is because it's just so damaging.
I would say yeah nerf the darts. I don't want to end up a murderer because I needed to tranquilize someone rushing me/another crew member like a space crackhead and didn't want to go through all the fucking effort to prevent them from dying whereupon they wake up and stab me in the eye with a scalpel
(01-06-2017, 05:00 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I would say yeah nerf the darts. I don't want to end up a murderer because I needed to tranquilize someone rushing me/another crew member like a space crackhead and didn't want to go through all the fucking effort to prevent them from dying whereupon they wake up and stab me in the eye with a scalpel

use your flash

or engage them in honorable hand to hand combat to subdue them (and if that doesnt work just beat them near to death and they'll get the idea to fuck off)
Heres a Suggestion: Why not let it be loaded with Syringes and hypos? That would somewhat reduce the lethality when used by non Traitor MDs and Allow People to load it with almost any chem.
(01-06-2017, 01:02 PM)Crazyabe Wrote: Heres a Suggestion: Why not let it be loaded with Syringes and hypos? That would somewhat reduce the lethality when used by non Traitor MDs and Allow People to load it with almost any chem.

I like the sound of that. Imagine the possibilities.
Only allow one syringe to be loaded at once, as if your chambering the round yourself. It will also stop people from turning it into a diy syringe gun
Eh, why not just change the ammunition container so that it shoots a projectile that only injects what is shot? A needle that deletes itself after inserting its payload into the player container?

The .308 condition shouldn't be removed, though, as you're really going to have to go out of your way to go get those rounds, in all honesty. Ergo,

(01-06-2017, 01:31 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: I would just do what I suggested in the original post: Remove bleeding and projectile embedding, and greatly reduce brute damage. That would change it from "Ultra-deadly murder weapon" to "Nonlethal anti-fun gun".
Yeah, removing the bleeding/brute damage would go a long way to improve it. Allowing it to fire any chem would make it far more lethal, not less. Sure, you could argue that non-antags wouldn't abuse it, but frankly I think we all know that every other round assistants would be filled with ??? pill and Dan's soup for the crime of standing around in medbay while the MD was bored.
(01-06-2017, 01:13 PM)HydroFloric Wrote: Only allow one syringe to be loaded at once, as if your chambering the round yourself. It will also stop people from turning it into a diy syringe gun

Yeah I like this. Makes it more generally useful, while still not overpowered.
(01-06-2017, 09:04 PM)Roomba Wrote: [spoiler]Yeah, removing the bleeding/brute damage would go a long way to improve it. Allowing it to fire any chem would make it far more lethal, not less. Sure, you could argue that non-antags wouldn't abuse it, but frankly I think we all know that every other round assistants would be filled with ??? pill and Dan's soup for the crime of standing around in medbay while the MD was bored.[/spoiler

Yep. People can just grab a syringe gun or an emagged hypo if they wanna go that route.

The tranq rifle serves a purpose; it's a niche, but important purpose. Succinctly: Countering drugged up and/or mutated horrors. It needs to stay that way. Just without the constant bleed, the brute, and the embedding. This also has the benefit of possibly-actually getting done since it's code shifting and line removal.

Honestly I didn't even know it embedded objects. Needing to scalpel out staples and darts is silly.
(01-06-2017, 09:04 PM)Roomba Wrote: Yeah, removing the bleeding/brute damage would go a long way to improve it. Allowing it to fire any chem would make it far more lethal, not less. Sure, you could argue that non-antags wouldn't abuse it, but frankly I think we all know that every other round assistants would be filled with ??? pill and Dan's soup for the crime of standing around in medbay while the MD was bored.

The code route dictated would be that "cartridges" would be pre-filled with chemicals of the sort and fired without leaving a projectile in the target.

But now that you mention it, something that could allow for the creation of such cartridges would be fun as hell too.
neat idea with the no damage thing and stuff for mutadone and haliperidol shots, and maybe forks should be used to dig out embedded stuff because yeah