Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Constructable Atmospherics
(01-08-2017, 01:51 PM)Mordent Wrote: Not on Destiny, it's not. DESTINY PLAYERS ARE PLAYERS TOO.

blasphemy!
Quote:"buildable and upgradeable gas pipes+hookups+etc would be good for repairing the engine after it suffers bad damage. lots of other things on the station can be fixed or replaced, but not the darn primary power source."
This is pretty much why I was hoping to suggest this as well. Had a couple instances of PDA bombs or wizards ruining the pipes for the combustion chamber or hot loop and having really no recourse but solars afterward. Would be a nice emergency measure but it seems hard to limit so people don't go hog wild and fuck the station up. I know this thread is old but I figure maybe a new post might drum up more conversation/interest.
Necroposting time.

Why does central Atmos work on literally every other codebase since the beginnings of time but not on goon? Genuine question.

Regarding the original suggestion, I want an atmospherics pipe dispenser cart. Not like it wouldn't be extremely obvious what you're doing if you sabotage the air hookups, since you need to pry the floor tiles, use your cart, break old connections, replace the floor tiles, all inside a department, you might as well pop a plasma or scalding CO2 can in the middle of the room and be done with it, much faster and frankly lower profile. Add air alarms back. If someone sees a room inexplicably being flooded with toxins they'll weld the vent shut/evacuate/call engineering. Hell, buff the air scrubbers even. This way the atmos system can't be abused by antags and no longer will we halt the hellburn because some asshole welderbombed one segment of cold loop.

If the problem is ACTUALLY lag, I think that's unacceptable and atmos code needs a total do-over to free us from the gods of jank and leave space for a new hellburn/toxins m.e.ta.
I just want to bring up that on other servers that have dedicated atmos there's usually stuff to keep you busy as a non-traitor atmos (different gases to make and fusion) and you can do a lot as a tech to make the station more durable against plasma flooding. "Bring back atmos" might be too huge of a project but it's not conceptually unfeasible.

In fact you could start by just adding new, weird gases with weird effects that must be synthesized from scratch. This would allow Toxins to have a purpose other than blowing up the station and maybe be a stepping stone for atmos down the line.
Or...simply even mix gasses with chems to get some sweet effect.
Atmos could play so smoothly with chemistry. A dream to behold.
Atmospherics could run as a fuel making station, with gas mixes that can be compressed in tanks to power machinery like pods, generators, etc