Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brig and the Floor Flusher
Wydamn Wrote:
MEOW POW Wrote:As a side note, that disposal chute in the current brig needs to be re coloured or something. I still run into sec officers trying to manually push prisoners through the holding cell's double door lock. It was hilarious at first, but it becomes less funny after half a dozen times.

that's actually how it's "supposed" to work, the chute is theoretically for sending in food and stuff but people just stuff prisoners in there because dealing with the double doors is a horrible pain in the butt
mozi Wrote:
Wydamn Wrote:
MEOW POW Wrote:As a side note, that disposal chute in the current brig needs to be re coloured or something. I still run into sec officers trying to manually push prisoners through the holding cell's double door lock. It was hilarious at first, but it becomes less funny after half a dozen times.

that's actually how it's "supposed" to work, the chute is theoretically for sending in food and stuff but people just stuff prisoners in there because dealing with the double doors is a horrible pain in the butt

I find it humorous in a droll way, that it's maximum security to get a prisoner into the prison via the double doors, yet for a prisoner to bust out, it's easy as the nearest blunt object to the nearest window. That to me, doesn't make much sense.

Clarks Wrote:...The new brig is good. It doesn't handle releasing automatically, so you have to actually care about jailing somebody..
Why should you care about jailing somebody? As far as I'm concerned, leave the care to the Warden, oh wait, that doesn't exist.
The previous brig WAS fair on both sides, a fair time set meant that the player who was jailed was going to get out at that EXACT time that was set (byond permitting) but now, if a player gets jailed, security HAS to keep an eye on that player, and if they don't then that player suffers due to been stuck in the brig.

Quote:..There is a ton of other more entertaining ways to punish bad players..

This is the crux of the problem right here. There ARE tons more ways of punishing players, and as HoS, I do them alot, like tele-tagging a player so I can teleport to their location, similar to house arrest, or forcing a traitor to work in the kitchen.
But what if I want to use the brig in conjunction with this?
What if I want to use the brig if a player messes up their community service?
What if I just want to use the brig because that's what it's there for?
The fact of the matter is, the brig right now is, dare I say it, completely redundant.

Quote:..This post here is the best summary of how to play security right:
http://archives.somethingawful.com/show ... 404813750..
While I agree with baron von pidgeons point of view for the most part, I still believe there is an issue with the brig. He says that nobody complains about how hard engineering is when it takes an eternity to fix hull breaches, but the way I see it the brig is so central to security, it's more like a broken engine that won't power the station rather than a hull breach in central hallway
You dig?
Also there's the issue of security brigging someone and then getting killed by the rampaging changeling/e-sword traitor/whatever. In that case there is nobody to let them out. Or if security is hit by a mad bomber or something. The problem with the new brig is that if anything happens to security then brigged prisoners are trapped, and security being a high target for traitors makes this very likely to happen.

I once teleported to the brig as the RD for the hell of it and found a guy trapped in there because a traitor had released the N2O into the brig, and nobody wanted to risk it to let some prisoner out. Had I not had a gas mask and internals he would have been stuck there for the rest of the round.
And imagine if that was an 11x11 bomb thrown at the main door of sec, or into the main office.
Or when the engineers aren't doing their job and the station is without power.

The problem with the new setup is that there are so many occurences which make it near impossible for a brigged person to be released

Honestly I've started hanging around the office as sec just to make sure everybody gets released on time, and I still have trouble doing that in most cases.
The new Brig is hilarious in theory in the sense that loads of things can go horribly wrong. However, there is a fine line between fun horribly wrong and useless horribly wrong, and the new Brig currently falls well and truly on the useless side.

I rarely see Security use the new Brig, and the few times it is used something invariably goes horribly wrong. In fact things have a tendency to go horribly wrong just trying to put prisoners in the Brig. And don't even get me started about letting prisoners out, assuming anyone remembers/is alive to let them out.
Letting people out of the brig is hell. By the time you're releasing them out they already have their cuffs off so you either have to stun them again because they are out of control or hope that they don't steal anything when you drag them through security. Two people in the brig at once is even worse because one can stand on the tile of the second blast door while you're releasing another.
On the other side of the bars (rods?) a HoS is rarely present so security will usually throw the confirmed traitor in there with you.
Despite the problems with the brig, I'm glad that most rounds someone makes a hidden wall so nobody has to deal with it.