Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
video game discussion dome
post here about video games youve played recently and if you'd recommend them or not

i've been playing a lot of a link to the past, final fantasy 14, and ultimate chickenhorse recently and i've gotta say i'd recommend all 3 of them 

you should probably already know what zelda a link to the past is but it's a time tested classic, must play for anyone who regards themselves as a zelda fan. snes or gba version is fine depending if you're a purist when it comes to the music

final fantasy 14 is good if you're interested in an mmo that features a japanese take on classic western fantasy tropes and truly shines on a highly populated server like gilgamesh or balmung. if you're on the fence about it like i was wait for it to go on sale.

ultimate chickenhorse i received as a gift from a friend and it's a 4 player platform game. it's great fun as the objective of the game is to put dangerous props around the level and navigate your way to the goal. it's even more fun if you don't care about winning or losing and just have a vested interest in being devilish and designing truly difficult levels (not so much that they're unwinnable though). i'd pay $10 which is what it cost when i was gifted it but $15 seems a bit steep to me.
ive been playing the shit out of pokemon sun, cause ive been away from home for just over a week, would definetely recommend. also overwatch if you can, its expensive but worth it (especially if your brother buys it for you)
 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:

Anyone in the IRC chat knows I shit on this game constantly whenever it gets brought up. I see it as a massive downgrade compared to Morrowind and Oblivion and I still do. But recently I decided to go back to the game to play the DLCs as I've never played them before. Got to say this recent playthough has been fun and enjoyable but I constantly see what could of been when I play the most recent Bethesda games I see the massive potential these developers have and can't understand why the don't innovate instead of downgrade. If Skyrim refined the RPG elements instead of downgrading them and removing features and had better writing I'd bet it would be my favorite game of the franchise.

I recently finished Dawnguard and it was pretty good had good characters and it was nice they went back and expanded the Vampire and Werewolf abilities and effects in the game. Though changing your werewolf powers is a absolute chore, but hey it's bethesda they take one step forward and about six or seven back.  The writing was also pretty good till you get close to the ending (I felt the DLC was rushed and believe it shows in the last 25% of the DLC) overall looking forward to the Dragonborn DLC.

The best thing I can say about this game is it's a game I can just shut my brain off and play while a podcast is on in the background. Whether or not that's a positive or negative you decide.

Would I recommend this game?
Honestly yes. But only if you can get mods. Without mods this game is as wide as a ocean but has the depth of a mud puddle, I would recommend Oblivion or Morrowind before playing this. That and every Bethesda games have bugs that Bethesda never could be bothered to fix and modders have made their own patches to fix as many bugs and optimize issues any of their games have and even if you want a vanilla experience you should at least get the unofficial patches

Disclaimer
I know alot of people here love this game and may see this as me hating on it. But I'm not it's clearly giving me enough enjoyment to keep me playing this second playthough so it does some things right if I'm still engaged after the hours I spent playing it. I criticize games that I love or hate cause I want them to be better and bethesda is a company that is in need of as much constructed criticism they can get at this point as each new game they make feels less and less like a RPG. Even if I don't enjoy a game I try my best to experience everything the game has to offer so I get my moneys worth and so I can form a complete opinion.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance: If you want to know the definition of the word "Hype" then play this game. It's fast paced, Has a combo list, Amazing music that makes you pumped for what's happening on your screen. A must have for any Metal Gear fan and anyone who loves fast hack and slash games.

Would I recommend this game?
I would recommend this game to anyone cause I believe if you like video games and have not at least tried this game you have done yourself a disservice. Also if you played the past Metal Gear games and follow the story then it was pretty neat to see how the world in this universe was after the events of MGS4. But don't worry if you don't care about the story as you don't need to know anything about the past games to enjoy the story to this one. This game was for sure my Game of the Year back in 2013. Platinum games knows how to make a game people will have insane amounts of fun in and they make them incredibly well. The Main Story is kinda sort but they made up with this by making the DLCs free (They were free to download when I bought the game no idea if they still are now) so that more then makes up for it in my eyes. The game also has weapons, outfits, combos and upgrades you can unlock as you progress though the game and it's hidden VR missions.

The game has two big flaws in my eyes. The first is how you parry, it's hard at first but once you get it down it's hardly a issue but the learning curve to getting it down may be too much for some. The second issue is the camera. It behaves most of the time but there are times where if you are at a bad angle you won't be able to tell what the hell is happening.
i recently was given shadowrun hong kong. it and dragonfall are pretty good if you like shadowrun shit. shadowrun returns was a bit short and basic compared to the latter 2
i like minecraft
i also play final fantasy 14 when i'm not playing space station 13. my goon casual static got a couple of new members recently so we're going to go after alexander savage when 3.5 hits
I really enjoy this niche unheard of game called Space Station 13.
I feel like people that like this game would probably enjoy Space Funeral

Edit: The title screen
[Image: latest?cb=20151228125513]
I just beat Owlboy recently and it was i gotta say it was pretty good.
there is a game called iron armada in development that may be relevant to the interests of some ss13 players

https://youtu.be/wJ-gn_dhRKQ?t=3m11s

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...ron+armada
(01-02-2017, 10:29 AM)zewaka Wrote: I really enjoy this niche unheard of game called Space Station 13.
That game sucks; you have bad taste. :reject:
(01-02-2017, 01:03 PM)misto Wrote: there is a game called iron armada in development that may be relevant to the interests of some ss13 players

https://youtu.be/wJ-gn_dhRKQ?t=3m11s

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...ron+armada

I was watching a livestream of this game yesterday and asked if it was space station 13 as a joke.
INSIDE
I recently played through INSIDE and was fairly impressed. It's from the creators of LIMBO and has the same eerie atmosphere and playstyle but it's beautifully put together and really smooth. Definitely worthwhile for a short game.

SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition
still being developed
Text based roguelike with ASCII artwork and goofy storyline. Each character is given a unique backstory that's randomly generated. Usually involves being assaulted with a potato at some point. I've played this quite a bit and it's replay value is great. I've yet to beat it though...

The Long Dark
still in Alpha but plays like a finished game
Survive in a world after a catastrophic geomagnetic storm has caused some trouble with the weather and makes it a bit brisk outdoors. Beautiful visuals. Wolves, dear, bears, and bunnies. You can hunt and trap so far and they just revamped the clothing crafting system. This game has been fun to watch grow and test your survoval skills. I had a night that I went out to scavenge for wood, got lost in some foothills during a blizard, started freezing and decided to build a fire behind a cliff face to warm myself up and wait for the storm to pass....too bad it would last all night and through most of the next day and that I had wandered into a hunting ground for a pack of wolves. The night was spent wandering out into the trees scavenging sticks and branches to keep my fire burning and running back to the fire to grab a brand and fight off wolf attacks. Good times.

Darkwood  
another one still being developed but plays well
Dark, mysterious, creepy, dark, oh and it's creepy and mysterious too! Just watch the trailer for this one:

Factorio  
Again the trailer does a better job of giving you an idea of the scale of this game. Seemingly endless landscape, an isometric view, interesting concept, and so much to discover/learn/create. Automation is your friend and if watching machinery do its thing is soemthing that appeals to you then this game will be oh so satisfying.
To actually do add something:

Rougeish Likes:
- Cataclysm DDA:
My favorite rl. Zombie apocalypse. Survival. Crafting. Fort building. Deathmobile engineering. It's more on the campy side and doesn't take itself too serious, which is all the better to me. You TOO can be Blart the AK-shooting, kung-fu dealing mall cop of doom and destruction. All for free.

- Elona+:
Weird ass rl from moonland. My first game went like: Eat cursed beggar meat, gain little girl as a pet, see little girl get pregnant from drinking out of a well..., kill dozen of local fauna to save a puppy, watch little girl give birth to an alien which got other people pregnant..., alien infestation happens - aliums evry'warr~, creepy man in cloak freaks out and starts ragnarok and down the dragons descend killing all in their path. I then decided to give a good sendoff to the town via piano, where I was promptly stoned to death. Fairy pianists (actual class and race) have it rough.

It used to be super grindy, but Elona+ added a nice 'I don't have time for this shit' mode. If you play, I suggest you use it.

Caves of QUD:
Interesting rl. Has a bunch of good gameplay mechanics. I've been playing it on and off since way back when. It still has a lot of potential. Not sure how it is since it got steamed. I haven't played it recently, but it's was fun when I did and I don't see many play it.

- Dwarf Fortress:
Really?

Less-Rougishlikes:
Space Rangers 2:
Used to be one of my favorites -- I got burned out on tho. It's got a lot of charm. It has a few balance issues I don't like. Dunno if they ever fixed that, but still really playable. I figured I'd mention it because, again, I liked it and it's rarely mentioned, even if I haven't played it recently.

Duskers:
You're stranded in space and a forced to salvage to save yourself. Luckily you're a drone operator! You control drones via commandline (well you can directly control movement, but eh) and send them about in derelicts to grab things you need. It's oddly atmospheric and suspenseful. I haven't played much of it, but it's quite fun so far.
I am really in to Starsector at the moment. It's an indie top-down spacebattles type game with something of a mount and blade style campaign . It's in Alpha for the moment, but still looks pretty freaking awesome. It really evokes those big, slow-paced climatic spaceship battles from the movies, and manages to add a nice bit of tactical depth and freedom. The dev also runs a development blog here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/ which might interest you if you're into game design.