Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Major Massive ping and mysterious download
About an hour or so ago, I updated BYOND to the latest beta version to fix the clingy-windows-and-doors bug. After that, through the next few rounds I started to experience some intense lag that didn't let up, accompanied by some framerate drops that gave me tgstation flashbacks.

Then I noticed that my network monitor read that my computer was downloading something at around 400-650 kB/s. I checked to see if something was updating in the background, but that didn't seem to be the case.

For a while, I tried to just deal with it, an awful connection isn't anything new to me, and waiting several seconds for keypresses to go through really builds the immersion of controlling something that's actually in space.

Moments later, I closed SS13, thinking that maybe giving the game a good restart would fix things. Then, I noticed the download rate drop back to nothing. Huh.

To confirm that it wasn't just a coincidence, I opened SS13 back up and the rate climbed back up into the several hundreds. I restarted the game once again to the same effect. Even after I reopened BYOND, cleared its cache, and redownloaded the station, it still hammered my download rate and locked my ping to canbomb levels. Dang.

So, I went back to taking it like a nerd and hoping that my issues would solve themselves as they usually do. Then I heard someone else on the station complaining about lag, a similar flavor of lag that I was experiencing, delayed key-presses and all! That showed that, maybe, it's not just my end, and that it might be something worth reporting.

Also I couldn't hose down Krampus with unstable mutagen since the chemdispensers weren't working on my end again. Just a blank window with pink corners. But that's beside the point.

In short:
SS13's eating much more bandwidth than usual.
This causes, for me and that clown from earlier at least, more lag than a drunkadmin with a playlist.
Also framerate issues.
I've been haveing these sorts of problems for the last few days, And despite driveing over to a Relative's place in another Province It Still hasen't been solved for me.(Mostly, Its slightly better over here since they had a better internet connection.)
That explains why I suddenly get a ping of 800 for no reason or I can't move and then start moving a while later.
Oh my god I have been having these problems for a while and I never knew why. IT WAS THE UPDATE, But yes I have also been having these problems for a week or so my ping would go from a stable 42 to 4563 and go back to 42
Throwing this here: Sorrel Fischer: The ping issue fixed itself once when the escape shuttle went off station z-level, i was a ghost when that happened.
goodluck fixing this promptly, it makes various activities significantly more difficult than previously
Going any further left than the escape/arrivals shuttle causes it for me, happens in the diner and guardbuddy factory too. Doesn't happen in places with mostly space tiles.
I guess I'll mention that we are looking at this issue. However, I suspect it might have to do with the recent byond beta update. Might have to downgrade the server & bug report to Lummox.
This issue should be solved next time all the servers restart. We at the Goonstation Coding Team thank you for your patience.
Any word as to what the issue specifically was, or is it something that would go over our heads?
oh i thought i replied to this, probably something shitty buggy in the new client or the new server, I'll close this report if nobody else pipes up
i guess its settled down some. its hard to tell if its totally gone because you know how these things can be, subtle differences
Im still getting these issues my ping ms will go from 42 to 4863 or something along those lines
i havent played since before this thread was made (out of state for a bit) but yeah my ping would go from my default of abiut 120 ms then jump to at least 3000 ms and stay there for ageeeees. more often than not my ping would be that high
Sorry I was referring to my ms. No idea why i wrote ping