Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chrismtas Traditions
What are your family christmas traditions?

Mine:

On xmas eve, people who were working would leave after work, people who were not would leave sometime after sunup, and all arrive at my grandmother's house.

After sundown, when everyone has arrived, we have Christmas Dinner. Usually turkey or something.

That evening we'd play a game, usually bingo, and when you win, you get to open a present! Everyone would win though, we'd keep playing till everyone won. The kids would also get to open another present or two. These are all "small presents", cheap stuff, candy, etc.

Christmas Day we'd all come down to the tree, and open our presents. As I grew older it became clear that adults would have 1, *maybe* 2 presents max, and usually knew what was in it. Each kid would take a turn grabbing a box, and read out the name, and hand it to the person to open. Sometimes grandma would tell the person picking to open a specific box.

After that we'd open our stocks fill of stuff like chips and cookies, and that was that!

Usually a few hours later everyone would start to go home.
I really have no idea what the adults ate for lunch and supper on xmas day as all us kids had enough candy to fill our bellies. By boxing day we usually felt sick of candy and had more normal meals, and usually we went out shopping for cheap stuff at some point on that day.

And that's christmas!

We also used a plastic tree.
I have Spaghetti and Wine at 5 AM as I wait for the time to open presents and to see what kind of candy I got.
I should add my current christmas tradition!

This happened last year and is in the middle of happening again this year.

On christmas eve I rush to the pharmacy, as they've told me they will have my meds ready but because of bullshitbullshit they can't give it to me until that day. Get there only to find out they don't have it ready, and wait for them to get it ready.

come home, call my dad. wake him up. he honestly dosn't believe that I get up early in the morning so he thought by telling me to call him when I wake up that he wont get a call till after lunch; if I had called when I woke up it would have been dark out as the sun had yet to rise.

Burn off some time till he gets here. I'm very bad at waiting and can't enjoy myself (IE playing a computer game) if I know that at any moment I have to stop and go do something else.

(we are here this year)

Go over to my dads
Drink
Drink heavily.

Don't get me wrong I love my dad, and like him too (usually for me with family its one or the other, but my dad is cool) but his significant other and I don't get along very well, and there's no internet, so, drinking it is.

eat
eventually go to bed

wake up with allergies and heartburn
take allergy meds, heartburn meds.
out of alcohol. nothing to do but sit around and wait
wait
wait
dad wakes up
wait
wait
dad takes me home
Well mine is kinda silly. I kinda loved pizza as a kid so i schemed into getting pizza every christmas eve by saying santa must be getting sick of all these cookies and we should leave a slice of pizza and a coke out for him. So i kinda turned that into a tradition around my house
My dad created a tradition where we open presents on the 24th. Once we even opened presents on the 23rd, but for the most part we open them before or after dinner on the 24th, in the evening.
My family makes a whole pot full of mashed potatoes and we have a contest to see who can stomach eating the most.
mimosas and cinnamon rolls and talking about our extended family behind their backs
Xmas Eve dinner with father and sister. (Formerly awkward XMas Eve party dinner at the aunt and uncle's decrepit place.)

One present opened in the evening/at midnight/before bed. (The 'rules' vary a bit.)

Upon waking open your stocking and enjoy the goodies until everyone wakes up.

Open presents when everyone is awake and present.

Big Xmas breakfast. (Possibly replaced by brunch with my mother.)

Big Xmas lunch/open presents from late arrivals. (Possibly replaced by brunch with my mother.)
go to grandma's house either on the day of or a day before/after depending if anyones got work that day for dinner and presents
We wake up early christmas morning; 'fore daylight. We grab some coffee and wait in front of the chimney/vent for santa to arrive -- once we hear the noise of his arrival and descent into our home we...

shoot Santa! I mean, he's only a clone - and that way we get lots more presents that way!

All that seriousness aside, mine is pretty much the same as Dions.
My family does the bingo thing, where everyone brings a gift as a prize. When all the prizes are distributed, they have a lighting round where you take prizes away when you get bingo. This leads to much bickering later after drinks