Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.09 Average
Reduce the access to med dispensers and lockers to only medstaff
(12-20-2016, 05:38 AM)Erev Wrote: x...they should have access to a little bit of the basics plus a bit extra of whatever fits the job theme (spaceacilin for pathologists, neuro and rad meds for geneticists).

I like that idea in general. They could do with a small cache of job-related drugs in their workzones. Also like public access cryo, cuz hey somebody will actually use poor, neglected, otherwise useless cryo.

----- Huh.

I'm starting to wonder about Medical in general. It's weird to me that Science has all of these 'departments', but only one job (sans RD), while Medical access is split between three (sans MDir) jobs.

What would happen if we gave them (MDocs, Gendocs, Rodocs) all complete access (sans MDir office) to Medical? I know the gene-obsessed would freak, but the department might get a boost overall.

Somewhat off-topic, but I think the core issue (of the suggestion) is that MDocs are pointless. This is related to that.
Merging genetics/robotics/ect into a large Medical could work. My own train of thought has been to form a life sciences department seperate from medical that handles Genetics, Pathology, and any sort of Xenobiology that may crop up. Maybe force them to share a telescience pad with non-life Research to cause some interdepartmental friction.
The thing about the cryo chambers is that it's typically easier to mix the cryoxodone with cryostylane, mash it into a pill, and force people to quaff it. Outside of crit, patches are a cheaper, readily available healer. Inside of crit, cryox doesn't (as far as I know) try to fix heart problems (though it does heal oxy damage), requires you to remove your patient's spacesuit that they *always* have, and from what I can tell prevents you from monitoring and interacting with the patient.

And besides, whatever salbutamol and a fuckload of patches won't cure, the cloner will. Unless they're a puritan, in which case thanks for the mess.

What about making the cryo units more of a lifesaving measure than they already are, and require an MDoc to run it? Kind of like a sleeper that'll more or less guarantee that you'll survive in some measure. If they're good and old, just hopping in will extinguish you and prevent your lifecycles from ticking, like a sort of stasis. Then, an MDoc would press the Heal Jerk button and start healing the jerk in the tube.

Then with that OP nobody-dies device that only MDocs could use to its fullest usefulness, the medkits and patches could be relegated as a boo-boo fixer and something to stabilize you long enough to get to the tube. MDocs have a purpose (went to medschool to press a button nobody else can), Sec and everyone else can keep patching up wrestling injuries, and everything's perfect forever.
Now seems like a great time to direct people to an old thread I made about cryoxydone variants to put in the Cryo tubes: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid...t=Variants
What would adding extra sets of paramedic gear add to doctors job satisfaction? I know I like running around with a medkit and slapping the patches on people before they even reach medbay, but I rarely run into a proper paramedic when I need one myself, and frequently see that the paramedic-gear-racks are untouched.
Would more paramedics combined with easier access to health-implants result in a more de-localized Medicare and possibly more fun?
(12-20-2016, 02:27 PM)Erev Wrote: Merging genetics/robotics/ect into a large Medical could work. My own train of thought has been to form a life sciences department seperate from medical that handles Genetics, Pathology, and any sort of Xenobiology that may crop up. Maybe force them to share a telescience pad with non-life Research to cause some interdepartmental friction.

I like this idea.

Especially if telescience actually played a role in upgrades for robotics, pathology and genetics.

Rather then just being a place you visit for a challenge, you could go there and get access to things, like alien mutations, limbs, or even tech.

Also I totally want someone to get decked out into the 6 million credit man to fight the changeling, because a group of nerds wanted to make the HOS "Stronger, Faster, and maybe a little smarter" by screwing with his DNA and giving him robot limbs and a beneficial disease.

Opening up medbay into one cohesive department rather than three separate roles might make doctors more useful in general. People could still stick to their prefered positions but now you can have people visiting each other without waiting for a door to open. I think doctor could also serve as a buffer role to get new players playing scientist by letting them move around between rooms and get them used to the idea that your role is flexible.
I think the main point of the topic is that MDoc is a redundant job. The janitor, security, the detective, geneticists, and roboticists all have their access level PLUS additional access. Even beyond that, everybody just heals themselves anyways.

Pushing the meds back, and cyro up is a good idea. To counter heart failure you could just put some epi in the tube.

Giving certain departments some job-related medications is another good one. Rodoc, Gendoc, yes, but also calo/atro/sflesh for sec.

Making more paramedics is interesting, but who watches over Medical? Sure, it can run itself, but it kind of urks me to have Medical empty because 'everybody just heals themselves, anyways.' I also often see paramedic suits untouched at round end, so you'd have to push the focus.

None of those really fix MDocs being redundant though.

Tiered vends is another neat one. It'd help make MDocs a bit more worthwhile, but the people who lose partial access will probably be as salty as if they lost complete access.

Really, MDocs could use 'something' of their own. Maybe restrict pathology to just them, or something? I dunno. People rarely accept a drop in pay, even if it means the company goes under otherwise.

edit - eh, need to stop walking away before I send reply. Haven't read atomic1fire's
I usually go MDoc to test out chem recipes, like a scientist with access to maint and an excuse to hang around downed people. Plus MDoc traitors get the syringe gun and cheap poison. If it weren't for Toxins, the scientist would be the redundant one!

I think what puts MDocs apart from the other medbay buddies is that they don't really have any responsibilities other than heal people. Kinda like a staff assistant with a nanomed. It's not much, and needs to be expanded, but it's a start.
Why not make the operating theaters Medical Doctor-only?

A lot of the other jobs are branched out of Medbay such that they need access to the general area, but surgery proper should be reserved for medics and roboticists.
i think once more organs and their respective surgeries are added in (lungs, kidneys) and adding some more occupational hazards, medical doctor will become a more robust and fun job to do since while you can get a buddy to perform surgery on yourself (or even you can perform surgery while drunk enough/use exploits) you probably won't have the supplies or equipment to do it yourself or make sure you don't die in the process
(12-21-2016, 11:44 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i think once more organs and their respective surgeries are added in (lungs, kidneys) and adding some more occupational hazards, medical doctor will become a more robust and fun job to do since while you can get a buddy to perform surgery on yourself (or even you can perform surgery while drunk enough/use exploits) you probably won't have the supplies or equipment to do it yourself or make sure you don't die in the process

I agree. Either that, or it will give Roboticists more of a realm to work in, which both would be rather nice. More Organs 2016:tm: