Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question to the Coders About Atmos
Okay, I know I waffle on about how apparently the atmospherics coding is absolute chaos, but it seems like it is one of the major things on the to-do list. But seeing as I have only heard of one coder in particular saying he is working on it, I need a few questions asked:
  • How entrenched is this system embedded into the game itself? As in, you take it out, would the game be functional save for toxins and the engine, or would it just turn it into a jumble of un-compilable code?
  • Who WROTE the original code for goonstation?
  • And don't bother answering this if it would unveil secrets to the departments: What is the singular unit of a gas, and how does this equate into the pressure and heat mechanics?
I understand that it is both a vital part of the game, while being an absolute clusterfuck of archaic computer wizardry. I also have a ton of respect for you coders, as I am still learning how to code by reading some of it and implementing it on basic crap for my own build on my desktop.

I also want to apologize for being somewhat of a heckler for bringing up the atmos stuff, as it dawned on me this morning that bringing it up like I do is equal parts annoying/dickish. Keep doing you, cause we wouldn't be here without your wizardry!
Pretty sure the atmos code is the same code that Exadv1 made, but with some optimizations.
My understanding is that Exadv1 created SS13 for the specific purpose of testing or running the atmos code; IE that the atmos code is the entire base core of the entire game, and as such, is very difficult to change.
Yeah it's not a joke when people say at its core, ss13 is a farting simulator. It was literally designed from the start to simulate gasses. All this 'game' stuff was added after. Now, atmos can be changed for sure it's just that nobody really knows how it works. Really. Well, maybe Tobba. Even then, maybe not. Try to understand it and stay sane.

oh yeah exadv1 made ss13 lol
(12-15-2016, 09:14 PM)zewaka Wrote: Yeah it's not a joke when people say at its core, ss13 is a farting simulator. It was literally designed from the start to simulate gasses. All this 'game' stuff was added after. Now, atmos can be changed for sure it's just that nobody really knows how it works. Really. Well, maybe Tobba. Even then, maybe not. Try to understand it and stay sane.

oh yeah exadv1 made ss13 lol
Tobba is a code lord, never underestimate his ancient powers.
We still use FEA, right? Yeah, that's probably a mess.

The main problem with redoing atmos is that nobody gets paid for the many hours of slow, boring work. It's the code equivalent of refurbishing a junked out vehicle in your spare time; a vehicle that has no real value outside of a very small community.

If it were me, and 'hobby' turned into 'work', I'd just ditch the project and throw something random into Unity. Hey! If a 16 year old can become a commercial success, then so can my craggidy ass, right?
(12-15-2016, 11:18 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: We still use FEA, right? Yeah, that's probably a mess.

The main problem with redoing atmos is that nobody gets paid for the many hours of slow, boring work. It's the code equivalent of refurbishing a junked out vehicle in your spare time; a vehicle that has no real value outside of a very small community.

like a yugo?
FEA isn't hard to understand. Its just that everything relies on it, so changing it is a massive undertaking.
(12-18-2016, 01:50 PM)somepotato Wrote: FEA isn't hard to understand. Its just that everything relies on it, so changing it is a massive undertaking.

This. SS13 can be described as an atmospherics simulator that feature creeped into a game, so atmos code is at the heart of quite a few things. Sadly, it also has a reputation for being delicate in terms of functionality and performance. It's a lot better than it used to be, but it's still something that we're cautious about approaching, for all the work it entails.
What happens if you delete one line in the Atmospherics Coding, would it still be playable but HOLY SHIT tier? Would it be lag paradise? Would it have no effect?
Deleting a line at random would probably just mean the game won't compile at all.

the 2016 release is out there, try it for yourself!