Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Xenobiology
Bring Xenobiology to Goon Servers but make it goons version of Xenobiology keep the slimes though everyone loves slimes but please its a good idea would require lots of coding from scratch though but im sure with others giving ideas to add upon this on the forums this will turn into a great possibility
im not familiar with xenobiology. please tell us about what makes it so good?

there are already a few mildly annoying secret chemicals intened for the creation of living things, and there is slight demand for wendigo and bear arms, so perhaps this new department could be an outgrowth of these facts

i nominate the plasma spore for being the department's primary research subject. because we're supposed to be researching plasma. right?
(12-10-2016, 03:46 PM)misto Wrote: i nominate the plasma spore for being the department's primary research subject. because we're supposed to be researching plasma. right?
That actually makes sense.

On a side note, there's always an idea that scientists need something to do that holds like an actual job. With the semi-exception of chemistry, scientists have nothing expected of them. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as scientist is a valuable way to explore game mechanics, but when you've played for a while you really do start to run out of things to do as a scientist.
the plasma spore research could be centered around feeding and breeding the lil suckers to manage their explosive tendencies and find a way to grind them up/milk them for self-sustaining plasma supply, to the point of bottling fresh canisters of plasma for engineers to burn or selling the new plasma thru qm

they could collect gene scans of other critters too and stick them in a gene machine that takes research budget funds to spit out a critter for them to kill/let loose/eat/dissect for its wendigo arms. if you want to make it hard for jerks to spam killer critters, just up the price needed to copy the dangerous ones, and boost the price for each successive copy. it using research dept funds will also theoretically demand some degree of budgetary oversight from the captain, hop, research director, or ai.

naturally these department functions have significant terrorist applications, as you can imagine

but maybe they could try to make harmless domesticated pet ice spiders for you too :3

you could also try to make these guys in charge of the monkey taming/training/mind controlling shit that people keep suggesting. space pokemon monkey knife fight
What about a department that used all sorts of weird alien stuff to modify bodies? Like all those cool mutant organs people were raving about a while back. A xenobiologist would go out, find some critters and take "samples" from them, then return and transplant all sorts of weird alien limbs and organs into test subjects for funky effects.
The stationside testchamber always looked like a place more for dissection. I'd like to be able to go grab some telsci/space critters, drag em' back to homebase, and do more than poke em' with a stick.

No reason this couldn't extent to headspiders/blobs/predators/shittybill, etc.

Also yes, anything connected to plasma research.
oh yeah, and xenobiology dept should do their best to catch changelings alive and cut them up :>
Between genetics, pathology, and a xenobiology department I think we'd finally have enough stuff to do to have seperate medical vs physical sciences roles. (I've always thought that geneticists and pathologists should have more limited access to medicine to better differentiate them from doctors. Having a medical/life science wing would allow for this.)
I quite like the idea of cutting the heart out of an ice spider and transplanting it into the clown.
Who knows what would happen?
Although, this would have to wait for organs to be finished.
Considering clowns are decended from highly mutated clown spiders, I Dont think there would be any problems with the transplant.
I like the idea of plasma spore science. Maybe there ought to be other kinds of spores you can breed based on other ores or chemicals? Sort of like golems?
It sounds like hell to code, but it would (probably) be worth it in the end. Of course, give the role to a Traitor, and more magic will happen.
Our Xenobiology should be not a copy of /tg/ Xenobiology. What we should do is employ the use of Telescience and space travel, where you go and find different critters in special locations. Once you make them temporarily docile, you put them in containment spheres like pokeballs or plasma nets. Once you do that, you need to bring them to the test chamber and perform tests on them. This would be great for discovering reagents found in certain critters like wendigos and ice spiders. You can already revive a wendigo with strange reagent and put it on the station in a zoo, but imagine what else you can do with it. A full xenobiology department would allow you to turn them into fully docile pets; or you can breed them, or even harvest their limbs and organs for the benefits of science.
When are the ice wendigo spider queens coming?