Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CO2 and coughing
I don't know what happened, or when since this doesn't come up much, but the last few times I've died to CO2 it's been without any coughing or any other indicator of what was going on besides immediately passing out and taking oxygen damage so quickly I get down to crit in less than 30 seconds.  

Yeah yeah I know use internals but sometimes I want to wear a mask or something...I just don't feel like there should be an invisible gas that kills you pretty much instantly without internals with no indicator of what's going on.

I know that the coughing SOMETIMES happens (for other people) but if we're seriously going to have an instant-death gas lying around that shit needs to be more frequent and obvious.  It's a really boring and killjoy way to die and if we're gonna keep it at least make me feel like the fool for not noticing me hacking and coughing a bunch.  As it stands there's almost no warning.
In real-life, our body is adapted to detect CO2. Walking into a room with CO2 above safe-limits would feel horrible. Something akin to feeling like your lungs are on fire, so debilitatingly painful that you're be nearly unable to move if you didn't run away after immediately feeling it.

Inert gases, such as N2 and the noble gases, we normally don't detect. They would actually function as an instant kill-gas without any indication of what's going on. You might notice that something is off, but our bodies can't sense these gases, so we'd quickly pass out from a lack of oxygen, asphyxiate, and die.
I think of this more of a bug, really. One that's been going on for several months.

No game mechanic so widespread and easily attainable should be without indicators. Laughing gas has the white specks. Co2 has coughing. These are needed to allow the quick-witted to react. We don't want to encourage people to run around with internals, afterall.