Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
bring back rev
Rev was good and fun and I'm sad that its gone
hear hear

one of my favorite gamemodes and i miss it dearly
the "abandoned the station" thing should only count if the heads dont return within a certain timeframe
REV was great. Would love to see it back.

I just want more gamemodes really. I'll take anything at this point even if that means just readding old ones into the game again or getting a new gamemode altogether.
It was fun even with the flaws. I will always remember the horror of being new and spawning as RD on rev.
if the heads have a hard time fighting back, buffing their anti-rev countermeasures can be explored

revolutionaries are extra-strong these days due to the fact theyre special-event-only, so all heads have forgotten to be on guard against them, or have simply never learned of them due to it being out of rotation for so long
Hi, i'm new enough here that i've never played a rev round before

What were the biggest problems with Rev back in the day?
No.

It's virtually impossible for the Heads to win Rev, as they have no idea on how to identify the infinite hordes of revolutionaries, while everyone knows who the Heads are. The only way to win is to become meta-gaming dictators, and I once saw a round where the admins explicitly gave permission for that to happen, and the Heads still lost.

It's just not fun to play as either side, and tends to end within 20 minutes.
(12-06-2016, 04:23 PM)Mageziya Wrote: No.

It's virtually impossible for the Heads to win Rev, as they have no idea on how to identify the infinite hordes of revolutionaries, while everyone knows who the Heads are. The only way to win is to become meta-gaming dictators, and I once saw a round where the admins explicitly gave permission for that to happen, and the Heads still lost.

It's just not fun to play as either side, and tends to end within 20 minutes.

sure it is

just have it spawn in more sec, or have during rev mode a guaranteed 3-4 sec officers
Rev was removed for a reason, and while I would love to see it back I think we would have to fix some of the problems it had.
Mainly 2
1. Heads would just hide in lockers or something to avoid getting lynched.
2. Heads had no chance unless they had a fully stocked competent sec team (virtually never happens)
I do agree we definitely need more game modes, the current ones have been around for so long and kind of stale and blob was just kind of a filler. I think rev could make a return if the balance issues were fixed.
Please no "hide in lockers forever" gamemodes unless it's Waldo
That does not actually constitute fun, nor does the essential equivalent of the knockout game being played on the heads as soon as they step out in view of the revs
It's an uphill battle they can't win due to the secrecy of the revs and their increasing numbers and, by extension, firepower
rather than having revs made via flash, as flashes are a theoretically infinite supply of brainwashing, consider using those multi-use mindslavers from spy instead. then the rev leaders will need to actually try to pick out competent people to turn at opportune times rather than going for pure mass.

remind the heads that they have special privileges, equipment, and capabilities for a good reason. robuddy purge mode exists. the riot control armory in security exists. the ai's ability to lockdown revolutionary crowds and adjust their arrest records exists. do loyalty implants still exist? they could exist again.
(12-06-2016, 04:41 PM)misto Wrote: rather than having revs made via flash, as flashes are a theoretically infinite supply of brainwashing, consider using those multi-use mindslavers from spy instead. then the rev leaders will need to actually try to pick out competent people to turn at opportune times rather than going for pure mass.

remind the heads that they have special privileges, equipment, and capabilities for a good reason. robuddy purge mode exists. the riot control armory in security exists. the ai's ability to lockdown revolutionary crowds and adjust their arrest records exists. do loyalty implants still exist? they could exist again.

Yes I think the mindslave idea thing is a good idea, they aren't mindslaves and normal rev rules apply so they can't murder anyone they want so it won't turn into ol' spy deathmatch. Man why did no one think of this before.
combine it with monkey infection so we can be the planet station of the apes
So what i'm getting from all this is that the main problems were

A) It was too difficult for the Heads of Staff to win against the Revs due to a lack of allies, competent or otherwise, which led to them hiding in lockers in order to win

B) The Revs were able to multiply too quickly and just ended up wiping the heads out due to secrecy and numbers

I think i have an idea

Why not introduce a new role to the Rev gamemode, a Nanotrasen Loyalist if you will.

Their objective would be to work in tandem with the heads and the security team in order to put down the revolution, this would help alleviate the problem of the heads having too few allies on board the station and would make it easier to put down the revolution.

These Loyalists would be unable to be turned by the flash, attempting to do so would inform the Loyalist what had just happened but wouldn't give any clues to the person who flashed them. 

Assuming the loyalists composed a significant proportion of the crew (say maybe a fifth or less), it'd discourage flash mob rampages because it'd add the risk of any random crewmember you decide to flash turning out to be a loyalist and then either A) Ratting on you to sec, B) Killing you themselves immediately or C) Pretending they HAVE been turned and then stabbing you in the back later on, meaning you actually have to THINK before you flash someone.

This last one may end up being unnecessary but during a rev round the heads of staff could be given vague descriptions of the Rev heads in order to help track them down.