Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Silver Fulminate
Inspired by this thread, can we get silver fulminate introduced as a reagent?

The idea here is not for it to be hellishly deadly, but create sound effects mimicking gunshots.

When created it should react instantly unless in the presence of stabilizing agent. It should be roughly as volatile otherwise as nitroglycerin.

Single-figure amounts of it should simply make a gunshot-style sound, with the sound volume dependent on the amount.

Tens of units would do as above accompanied by a small explosion.

A hundred or more units should instantly (regardless of the presence of stabiliser) react (as per the "the compound's tendency to self-detonate under its own weight.").

The recipe seems to be pretty do-able from an "existing mechanics" perspective:

Quote:This compound can be prepared by pouring a solution of silver nitrate in nitric acid into ethanol, under careful control of the reaction conditions, to avoid an explosion.[6] The reaction is usually done at 80-90 deg C; at 30 deg C, the precipitate may not form.[2] Only very tiny amounts of silver fulminate should be prepared at once, as even the weight of the crystals can cause them to self-detonate.

Need to head out but I'm sure the above can be converted into a sensible recipe by someone in my absence.

For the sake of clarity, Christmas crackers would contain a single unit of silver fulminate which reacts on being pulled.
I like this! Also maybe not a gunshot since that can be abused SO MUCH! Maybe an audible "pop" that isn't a gunshot at all, but it's definitely an explosive pop.

Though larger quantities, dangerously close to explosive quantities, should create a "BANG" like a gunshot. But it'd be a bit risky.
(12-06-2016, 02:20 PM)aft2001 Wrote: I like this! Also maybe not a gunshot since that can be abused SO MUCH! Maybe an audible "pop" that isn't a gunshot at all, but it's definitely an explosive pop.

Though larger quantities, dangerously close to explosive quantities, should create a "BANG" like a gunshot. But it'd be a bit risky.

Not quite sure what you mean by abuse... if you have the means to make this you have the means to make actual explosives.
(12-06-2016, 02:13 PM)Mordent Wrote: -snip-

I'd say 
Silver + Copper Nitrate T0C+300 > Silver Nitrate + Copper
Then
Silver Nitrate + Nitric Acid T0C+85 > Silver Fulminate

Although this would technically make Silver Fulminate a secret chem as the recipe i just suggested uses several precursors to an already existing secret chem

Also the real life chemistry for this is probably wrong but it looks at the very least partially reasonable so that's good enough for me
(12-06-2016, 02:20 PM)aft2001 Wrote: I like this! Also maybe not a gunshot since that can be abused SO MUCH! Maybe an audible "pop" that isn't a gunshot at all, but it's definitely an explosive pop.

Brobot cyborgs can spam gunshots until the cows come home, though. I don't see how this could be too bad except for occasionally juking people out, which would be the point sometimes.
if making noise is your goal, consider the chemicals used in matches and cap gun caps, principally potassium chlorate/potassium perchlorate and phosphorous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong%27s_mixture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctX3juq9Okw

you can also use the ingredients of matches as ingredients for a messy, corrosive, inferior, but functional ammunition propellant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGYUmYLhAo
I like the idea of a relatively harmless explosive. You should be able to make those little snappers that pop when you toss them at the ground