Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goonstation secret santa 2016
Ho, ho ho! Merry Christmas.

I came up with an idea and tossed the idea briefly on the Goonstation IRC channel. We should have a secret Santa program this year. Basically, the participants would signup, and would be given a random name (preferably by an admin or a organizer). Your job is to give that person a gift before a deadline.

Its the season of giving. Think about it, you could give someone a Steam-game, something from Amazon, maybe a gift from Newegg. Anything goes. It doesn't have to be bought, it could be a hand made gift, if you're strapped for cash. The sole objective is to be someone's secret Santa and give them a gift and you would also get a gift in return from your secret Santa. Once the deadline hits, you and your secret Santa reveal who you both are and hand out your gifts. If you want a possible physical gift, that isn't digital, then you must provide a shipping address.

Rules:
  • You must signup to participate.
  • You may not reveal to the person that you're giving a gift to, that you are their secret Santa until the deadline.
  • You must have a gift available. If you are worried about not having money or the means available, then I advise you do not participate.
  • You must give out a gift at the deadline, unless there is an issue with shipping, or time constraints (or anything else). The deadline will be December 24-25. I'll take suggestions if you want another date for the deadline.

I'll take any suggestion or criticism.

Feel free to signup below. I'm signing myself up.

Contestants
Hulk Hogan
The_Rain
HydroFloric
Nessixtyfive
babayetu83
New525

Staff
TheNewTeddy

Edit: You may give gifts, today, tomorrow, or the 26th, if you're busy with family. Also, please let us know when you sent your gift. Post pictures of the gift you got, or say what you got, if you want.

HydroFloric had sent their gift.
The_Rain had sent their gift.
New525 sent their gift.
Hulk Hogan sent his gift
babayetu83 send their gift
Nessixtyfive had sent their gift.
I'm poor, so I can't participate, but, I offer to be the person who randomizes the names, using this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kC5k5QB...umberphile

tl:dw below
in short, do this.

take everyone's name
write name on top and bottom of "cards"
shuffle "cards"
split "cards" in half
rotate bottom "cards" over by 1
[Image: XTgbQMW.png]
Thus you have a randomized guy-on-top buys for guy-on-bottom
guaranteed that nobody will buy for themselves. 

edited to add
(in response to below)

<TheNewTeddy> .convert 10usd cad
<Spacebee> 13.303 CAD as of 2016-12-02 eurotime
<TheNewTeddy> .convert 10usd eur
<Spacebee> 9.397 EUR as of 2016-12-02 eurotime
<TheNewTeddy> .convert 10usd gbp
<Spacebee> 7.922 GBP as of 2016-12-02 eurotime
<TheNewTeddy> .convert 10usd sek
<Spacebee> 92.072 SEK as of 2016-12-02 eurotime

keep in mind, however, that these are rough. Often times things that are listed at $10 US online can be bought for £10 and 10€ as well.

for $20 just double it.
I'd suggest a suggested amount or a cap on the amount to spend so no one feels jilted. I usually spend about 10-20 bucks or so per person since that's enough to get somethingcool.

Edit: That said, sure, I'll sign up.
To me, I don't care about costs. I'll be spending maybe $100 on someone's gift. Maybe more, maybe less.

@NewTeddy: Sure you can be the guy who does the random name generation. I'll give you a consolation gift for doing so.
I shall sign up this seem fun
If there's a cap of 20$ so I don't feel bad is someone gets me something more expensive than that, I'll participate.
(12-02-2016, 03:12 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: If there's a cap of 20$ so I don't feel bad is someone gets me something more expensive than that, I'll participate.

If people want a cap, there could be one in place, but I do want to give a more expensive gift. I won't feel bad if I get a less expensive gift.
I will sign up for this I suppose, yeah.
If you guys want to have a cap or a spending limit, we can do it, but I want to gauge your interests first. What do you guys think, or want? I know some people might feel bad if they bought a inexpensive gift, but get a expensive gift in return.
I need to know when we should have a deadline for signing up.
13th or 14th seems like a reasonable deadline,
i'll join in
(12-04-2016, 08:16 PM)New525 Wrote: 13th or 14th  seems like a reasonable deadline,

We could do that, since I believe most people are going to buy gifts off of steam anyway. I was thinking more towards the 10th, but we could do whatever.
Last call coming up on the secret Santa deadline. 14th will be the final day to sign up. We have a odd number of people who signed up.
Not signing up, but an odd number is fine.

A -> B
B -> C
C -> A