Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Handheld mining plasma cutter
As right now the only items you can get from Heavily fortified crates are voltrons and some bracelet things I heard of but have never seen myself, I came up with an idea for something you could get from Heaivly-locked Industrial crates: A man-portable version of the plasma cutter system you can get for pods. They would take large power cells and use 500-1000 power per shot, so while it would last a while you would still have to occasionally swap out the cell if you use it frequently.
Besides mining, it would have uses as a weapon, being able to set people on fire and deal heavy damage to blobs, and unlike flamethrowers it is not treated as contraband, meaning you don't have to worry about getting arrested by beepsky or the gaurdbuddies for having one out. 
Actually, why not take this further, there's an absolute ton of pod weapons that don't have man-portable equivalents, why don't we add some of them as things you can get from the crates. Because who DOESN'T want a portable mining drill that you can use to gib someones corpse.

Of course, these things should probably slow you down and not fit in backpacks as a balance thing.
Given how hilariously time-consuming hand mining is compared to the mining pod, hand-mining could use a buff. I'd like to see a jetpack/orescoop backpack that lets miners click-drag to dump off ore like a pod.
I guess one way to do it would be letting miners build their pods from scratch instead of having one off the bat, but that's just inconveniencing people for the sake of hard labor.

Maybe, make the Rock Drilling Rig and the like have a penalty where it destroys some of the ore in every vein? It's still quick and efficient, but if something really rare (i.e. gold) shows up you're better off ditching the pod.
(12-01-2016, 09:38 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: Actually, why not take this further, there's an absolute ton of pod weapons that don't have man-portable equivalents

Wasn't there a plan to make it so you could put pod weapons onto tripods?
(12-01-2016, 01:02 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 09:38 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: Actually, why not take this further, there's an absolute ton of pod weapons that don't have man-portable equivalents

Wasn't there a plan to make it so you could put pod weapons onto tripods?

You should need three of them.
wouldnt putting pod weapons on tripods just make them into emitters-lite and help ensure they rarely get used even in mechanics traps because just teleporting people into a crusher is a zillion times simpler