Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New clothing item - Bandolier
I know we don't get bullet-firing guns very often (although we nearly always have access to them in the form of traitors), I find that the way we reload guns and carry ammo is a bit of a pain; having to keep boxes of ammo in our bags/pockets, taking the boxes out individually, loading them into the gun (spacker 12 or revolver for example) then disposing of the boxes. I know there's a reason for that, but hear me out.

I propose that a new clothing item be added to the game in the form of a bandolier. It would be admin spawned, situational (e.g. when there's a zombie apocalypse or perhaps werewolves like we had last week) or even a costly traitor item. It would accept a total of 50 bullets (reduce capacity according to developer's taste). It would go in the belt slot or the chest slot. It would only accept bullets though and bullets only. If you wear a bandolier you can reload a gun more easily by right clicking on the gun in your hand (you know, where it would say "examine" and so forth) and clicking the option "reload". That means you don't have to go into your bag, your gun is reloaded automatically according to the bandolier you are wearing (belt takes precedence over chest, let's just make an arbitrary decision). One possibility would be to reduce the cost of the bandolier to 4 telecrystals - allowing you to buy a revolver box and put 12 bullets in the bandolier.

The pros and cons of the item are as follows:

Pros

it allows you to reload more easily in a battle, increases your firepower, makes shooting things more of an enjoyable experience. It also allows you to roleplay Zapata or Pancho Villa or a 1980s action hero.

Cons

It would single you out instantly to security that you're out to make trouble, a bit like a red space suit (if we're going down the traitor item route). It also means you can't put an oxygen tank on your belt, or if you put it on your chest you can't wear a space suit or body armour or anything else. Finally, guns appear very rarely. You would have to have a good plan or clear objective before you go trying to use something like this i.e. if it's a nuke situation, one operative could go in with bandoliers and his revolver and hold off security while the other operatives assault the captain and take the disc.

[Image: pancho_villa.jpg]

What do you gentlemen think of this idea?
What about this as a detective's traitor item, instead of a normal one? A custom Detective item that works out in such a way that, by spending all their telecrystals and using all the ammo they start off with, a detective can have one full bandolier for the round? Uses an exo slot instead of back or chest, and works with the detective's revolver. Same thing, very blatent, obvious "Fuck you time to kill the station" sprite. The difference is, it actually allows for the full use of the thing, instead of giving you a lot of capacity that goes unused. Plus, when you're wearing it, instead of monologuing film noir quotes, the *monologue command causes the detective to spit out quotes from westerns and/or scarface. "Say hello to my little friend!"
It certainly does sound like a fun item to add to enable traitor gunfights. My one suggestion is that instead of having to rightclick the gun, which can take a fair amount of BYOND time to do when you're in a heart-pounding gunfight, why not just click the bandolier with your gun in your active hand? If we want to enable faster loading, that would be the best way to do that.

And speaking of gunslinger gimmicks, I know this was mentioned in a different detective thread somewhere, but it would be so cool if you could aim at someone's hand and shoot the item they're holding out of it. That way we'd also have a reason to aim for something other than the head/groin.
That's a good idea, david. I like it. I almost think though that maybe detective traitor items should be based more around falsifying evidence than kicking ass, although maybe this could be one ass kicking alternative if the detective would rather not be stealthy.

Also, I agree with you on clicking the bandolier with the gun in the active hand. That's much easier. You could even have a *reload emote for good measure, although it's not really necessary. I think more advanced gunplay like shooting items out of people's hands would be great - that could be applicable to guns of all kinds, including laser guns.
By David in the first paragraph I meant Captain Bravo. Sorry for the double post, I just had to clarify that.
It should have another down side in my opinion:
When worn, if any other projectile weapon is fired at you (detective revolver, point-blank russian revolver, traitor revolver, derringer) there's a small, but not insignificant chance that the bullets on the belt will be struck instead and as result the wearer will not be harmed by the projectile weapon but will instead take damage equivalent to a PDA bomb or so (not enough to gib or put the wearer into crit unless they're already fairly hurt), but it would leave him completely disabled on the floor for a short while.
It's not at all realistic, but it could introduce an extra and entertaining way for non-security/heads to take down and apprehend this mad gunslinger.
I'm sorry but turning the revolver into a automatic weapon does not make a lot of sense at all, that and since you have to pay six crystals for the revolver, and another four for the ammo, you would have to have the bandolier come free.
That's why I said it would probably make more sense as a detective-only item. Detective already comes with a gun, and two spare clips for it. A few more clips, an easier and faster way to reload them, and a fun way to be blatantly obvious with your traitoring sounds kind of neat to me.
it needs to come with a sombrero
As a traitor who spawned a revolver only to find another off an equally traitorous RD, I can't help it! I want this!
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:I'm sorry but turning the revolver into a automatic weapon does not make a lot of sense at all, that and since you have to pay six crystals for the revolver, and another four for the ammo, you would have to have the bandolier come free.

No good sir, that isn't true. The revolver box always comes with 2 boxes of ammo, so you could easily fit 12 bullets into the bandolier if it was a traitor item.
Also, the revolver wouldn't become automatic. If you click the bandolier with the gun in your hand, an animation could play where the bullets vanish one by one from the bandolier or something. It could take about 3 seconds to reload.
ohhhh okay then I must have misread the original idea then