Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about the staffing methods of the station.
In my time working Genetics, I've learned a grave truth. Might be common knowledge by now, but...
Should you roll an apidae metabolism gene, the description seems to indicate all workers aboard the station are clones and always HAVE been clones, and that some of them have bee DNA in them.

I take this to explain why dead players one shift come back the next, but the more I think about it the more everything makes sense. A janitor one shift can become a Research Director the next, and the clown afterwards. No matter who the captain is, that is THEIR bonsai tree and THEIR pet cat Jones. And, of course, one of the station's most beloved and trusted members can wind up secretly being affiliated with the Syndicate on a bad day.

I don't know if the "clones" thing is there just to give an in-game reason for why Fun Things are allowed to happen, but if so... that sounds about right, right?
It'd also serve to explain why bees are so sacred to everyone on-board, it's residue from where they used bee DNA as filler for the cloning process.
Or its just because who coded that gene was like "Ya im going to put this as the flavor text" because it was funny but I like your idea better.
On the surface I always got 'Alien' vibes from SS13. A dystopian-esque future where corporations run free and unimpeded, treating workers as tool to be used or disposed of at a whim. It's fairly well know that we're all clones. The value of life is so far gone that people commit suicide for entertainment. Life is cheap, and freedom is byond our reach.

The undercurrent is more of a 'Matrix' feel, though. Maybe being clones is just what they want you to think.
Maybe we are beessssssss!:?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go watch "Moon" starring Sam Rockwell.
(11-28-2016, 04:42 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Go watch "Moon" starring Sam Rockwell.
I was gonna mention that movie, failed to recall the name of that movie, spend 10 minutes trying to find out and then saw your post.
I had this kind of idea. At the end of the shift, all deceased crewmembers are cloned at Central Command or in some facility, as their neural uplink is stored there no matter what happens. They are given a set of skills and memories, and are sent to either cryo storage for long distance missions or put into a shuttle to arrive at an orbital research facility.

Taking this lore into account, theoretically, one could be cloned back at Central Command during a round! This would take a few hours, and would likely only be available on the extended game mode. This bit of canon and game mechanics would allow players to come back eventually on LLJK1 after a horrific death!

Fuck it, making a thread that'll go into a little more detail.
(11-28-2016, 04:42 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Go watch "Moon" starring Sam Rockwell.

Good reference. The style and general message of this film is very SS13. It's one of my favorite films, I remember people shitting on it because Sam Rockwell, but then it came out and he fucking rocked it.
(11-27-2016, 05:48 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: On the surface I always got 'Alien' vibes from SS13. A dystopian-esque future where corporations run free and unimpeded, treating workers as tool to be used or disposed of at a whim. It's fairly well know that we're all clones. The value of life is so far gone that people commit suicide for entertainment. Life is cheap, and freedom is byond our reach.

The undercurrent is more of a 'Matrix' feel, though. Maybe being clones is just what they want you to think.

Am i a man dreaming i am a bee, or am i a bee dreaming i am a man...
What ever floats your boat
Maybe the bees actually look like regular, more insect-like bees, and the bee DNA in the crew makes them think they're cute and adorable.
There's a reason why "centcom" is just poisonous ice cream and a graveyard....
(11-28-2016, 02:00 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: There's a reason why "centcom" is just poisonous ice cream and a graveyard....

And it's in VR too. Makes me think that the shuttle just explodes in hyperspace and your brain just gets uploaded into VR.
(11-27-2016, 05:07 PM)NesMettaur Wrote: In my time working Genetics, I've learned a grave truth. Might be common knowledge by now, but...
Should you roll an apidae metabolism gene, the description seems to indicate all workers aboard the station are clones and always HAVE been clones, and that some of them have bee DNA in them.

I take this to explain why dead players one shift come back the next, but the more I think about it the more everything makes sense. A janitor one shift can become a Research Director the next, and the clown afterwards. No matter who the captain is, that is THEIR bonsai tree and THEIR pet cat Jones. And, of course, one of the station's most beloved and trusted members can wind up secretly being affiliated with the Syndicate on a bad day.

I don't know if the "clones" thing is there just to give an in-game reason for why Fun Things are allowed to happen, but if so... that sounds about right, right?
It'd also serve to explain why bees are so sacred to everyone on-board, it's residue from where they used bee DNA as filler for the cloning process.

(11-27-2016, 05:48 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: On the surface I always got 'Alien' vibes from SS13. A dystopian-esque future where corporations run free and unimpeded, treating workers as tool to be used or disposed of at a whim. It's fairly well know that we're all clones. The value of life is so far gone that people commit suicide for entertainment. Life is cheap, and freedom is byond our reach.

(11-28-2016, 07:13 AM)aft2001 Wrote: I had this kind of idea. At the end of the shift, all deceased crewmembers are cloned at Central Command or in some facility, as their neural uplink is stored there no matter what happens. They are given a set of skills and memories, and are sent to either cryo storage for long distance missions or put into a shuttle to arrive at an orbital research facility.

Taking this lore into account, theoretically, one could be cloned back at Central Command during a round! This would take a few hours, and would likely only be available on the extended game mode. This bit of canon and game mechanics would allow players to come back eventually on LLJK1 after a horrific death!

Fuck it, making a thread that'll go into a little more detail.

to put it simply SS13 is a horrifying mish mash of Warhammer 40000, the matrix, invader zim , Dwarf Fortress, Cataclysm DDA, south park, family guy, Archer, Star Wars, Star Treck, every mel brook's movie, and all the works of H.P.Lovecraft thrown into a blender on overdrive and converted into computer code by the horrible abomination that is the byond platform.

need we say more if so feel free to add to the above list.
It's actually a dark conspiracy between CentCom and the Space Wizard's Federation. CentCom sends vast supplies of beard care products and grants the wizards access to the station and its crew for spell testing in exchange for the services of the powerful wizard Magus Ex Machina; who wields a magical wand that can restore everything to its original state on command.