Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some suggestions for Pathology.
My 6 suggestions for improving pathology's workflow and making it more organized.
In descending order of importance.

1: A test tube rack to hold vials in.

2: some kind of incubator or cryostorage thing (reskin the microwave?) to hold petri dishes inside of that will keep the cultures alive without needing to constantly feed them forever and babysit them until the end of time, it's also meant as another container like the test tube rack for more organization.
Perhaps even make it so that there's multiple different storages and placing the dish into the wrong one kills the pathogen?

3: Reduce the UI for the pathology computer. It's WAAAAY too massive.

4: Have vials and/or petri dishes be named after their pathogen(s) (or microbody(s) if that seems too convenient).
Like the x89g21 vial or whatever (or the red tessellated fungus etc). Will help improve the work flow. 
Instead of having all vials be named the generic "the totally safe whatever blah blah blah TM". 
No one wants to be forced to use hand labelers.

5: Have the selection window for the microscope stay open until manually closed after a selection is made. Like the portable camera monitors in telesci or what the detective/journalist have.

6: There's also not that many ways to get new pathogens when you run out of the default ones that spawn. 
(Besides random events, culturing, the abandoned pathology station, and I think buying off of D.O.C.?)
Maybe have purchasable pathogens off the CDC in QM? Have them only be benign and tier 1?

Thanks for your time, and for reading my suggestions!   [Image: smile.gif]
An incubator is something pathology nerds have been asking for for a long time. The vial rack idea sounds pretty neat though! I'd really like some more interactions with the CDC and other departments.
Thanks! Also, what do you think about having the pathology manipulator actually showing the relationship between the attributes when you actually decide to use the DNA manipulator? I've read that when you increment/decrement 1 value, 2 other values have a chance to decrease.  Shown below:

mutativeness ------------- advance_speed
    | ..................................... |
    | ........................... maliciousness
    | ..................................... |
sthreshold --------------- mutation_speed
4 is too exploitable, please use hand labellers. 6 is resource management, if you don't want to run out, you'll have to cultivate.

1 and 2 are reasonable.
Has anyone sprited an incubator yet? That and the removal of the 2.5% chance to randomly lose your pathogen on a successful splice are probably the two biggest things that could be done to help Pathology.

Not that I'd say no to more symptoms. The more symptoms there are the more awesome the possibilities.
Do you think there'll be anyway to improve working with vials and petri dishes that don't require the use of the hand labeler?
(11-27-2016, 12:20 AM)Ragswolf Wrote: Do you think there'll be anyway to improve working with vials and petri dishes that don't require the use of the hand labeler?

To be fair - if you are being a proper Pathology Asshole you don't WANT those things labelled. The more random shit you have laying around the more likely you are to screw up the people attempting to cure your disease. It IS important to have internal consistency and to know what your layout is but... beyond that do what you can to mess with people. Leave out fake samples and destroy or hide the real ones. Lamar is especially good at multi-bug shenanigans. I focus more on single bug bullshit.
I really want to see the Synth-O-Matic (the cure making machine) get used more. Some random event pathology diseases would give doctors a chance to get to grips with curing diseases, as well as provide an actual helpful function for Path.

I would propose that the current random event diseases (http://wiki.ss13.co/Virus) get rolled into Pathology. Their main effects (Clowning around, Berzerker syndrome) getting turned into symptoms, and their curing chemical becoming their suppressant. Alternatively, you could have completely randomly generated pathogens.