Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
On the subject of atmospheric pipes
I think that the pressure limit in atmospheric pipes should be increased, as the limit right now (somewhere around 15,000 kPa from what I can tell) makes it hard to get a lot of gas really hot in toxins, and especially on Destiny it makes running engineering with a combustion chamber burn quite difficult. It's also quite low for real world pressures. 15,000 kPa is somewhere around what a scuba tank holds. You'd think that on a soaceship they'd have better pipes.
I have never really had a problem doing toxins with the pipes just manage your pressure and your good
(11-23-2016, 07:16 PM)elan_oots Wrote: I think that the pressure limit in atmospheric pipes should be increased, as the limit right now (somewhere around 15,000 kPa from what I can tell) makes it hard to get a lot of gas really hot in toxins, and especially on Destiny it makes running engineering with a combustion chamber burn quite difficult. It's also quite low for real world pressures. 15,000 kPa is somewhere around what a scuba tank holds. You'd think that on a soaceship they'd have better pipes.

Just open the vent valves that lead into space, releases most of the pressure and keeps the heat. Destiny I have no clue about however since I have never used toxins on Destiny.
My main problem with atmos pipes is how LONG it takes to repressurize areas using the air hookups. More often than not the shuttle gets called before the area is breathable again.
(11-23-2016, 08:09 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: My main problem with atmos pipes is how LONG it takes to repressurize areas using the air hookups. More often than not the shuttle gets called before the area is breathable again.

I think that would be a pump speed problem, not a pipe pressure problem
PV=nRT

In short: Use less gas. It's common practice to introduce <1kPa (relative to the air pumps, since we can't read moles) into the lines in some setups.

In engineering, I wouldn't use the combustion chamber unless you hellburn. Woefully inefficient otherwise.

Sometimes you just have to grin and bare it. I've heard atmos code described as a series of bugs sewn together in a way that kinda works. Sounds reasonable. I've heard of new code being written, but that's one of the biggest projects you could undertake for SS13.
isn't tobba supposed to be working on an atmos overhaul, or is that just rumour?
(11-24-2016, 10:29 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: isn't tobba supposed to be working on an atmos overhaul, or is that just rumour?

I heard as much as you. The rework is still in an unknown state.
hey guys, how about we make atmos pipes upgradeable using ores and materials
(11-25-2016, 06:56 AM)misto Wrote: hey guys, how about we make atmos pipes upgradeable using ores and materials

+1
I'd Support that.
(11-25-2016, 06:56 AM)misto Wrote: pipes upgradeable using ores and materials
+1
It would be nice for the engineers to care about more then just their engine and their fuels, even if this only expands it to 'other thing that miners have to bring them'.