Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Less radioactive erebite
Thanks to the new material system, erebite is now incredibly, ludicrously radioactive. Even while wearing an industrial suit, you still accumulate radiation damage slowly from erebite,  and anyone standing around erebite items racks up lethal amounts of radiation very quickly in seconds. There's no real way to handle it safely, and scattering a few hidden erebite items around makes for a very quick death for anyone in the vicinity. It's yet another obstacle to handling a mineral that was already extremely rare and inherently volatile.

While we're at it I don't think plasmastone needs to be radioactive either, for much the same reasons.
Was radiation added to them to limit some of their functions? A nerf? Did they get buffed in any way to compensate? I never paid attention.

If it was added 'because it makes sense in reality', then it's generally bad for gameplay.
well if youre using an industrial suit for rad protection youre making a mistake because im pretty sure they dont do jack shit in that department anymore
(11-21-2016, 08:37 AM)misto Wrote: well if youre using an industrial suit for rad protection youre making a mistake because im pretty sure they dont do jack shit in that department anymore
If that's the case, it's... a little weird, then. The description flaunts them as being radiation- and explosion- resistant.

I mean, go to Antarctica wearing a cold-resistant jacket and tell me how it goes, but that's besides the point.
Quote:Was radiation added to them to limit some of their functions? A nerf? Did they get buffed in any way to compensate? I never paid attention.

If it was added 'because it makes sense in reality', then it's generally bad for gameplay.
Answer to all questions: No.
1. The radation limiting factor is pretty moot when you don't have any consistent radiation proofed clothing, nor do you have any material which would provide you with radiation proof if you were to make it.
2. Erebite did not need a nerf.
3. Nor was erebite buffed to compensate.
4. None of this makes sense as all these alloys are made-belief, presumeably you could pseudoscience your way around it and say all the asteroids are plasma-alloys, but I digress...

IMO the only material that should be radiaoctive is cerenkite, and that should scale with quality. Previously, both erebite and cerenkite both had recharging properties, which were great for batteries and the balance was the fact that one was explosive as fuck while the other was radioactive.

The radiation should be a means to a end, where it can be weaponized. I could see it going down that route if it was relegated to one material. Spraying all power sources and its irk with uranium doesn't really encourage people to work with it.
(11-21-2016, 08:37 AM)misto Wrote: well if youre using an industrial suit for rad protection youre making a mistake because im pretty sure they dont do jack shit in that department anymore

The industrial suit definitely seems to slow down the irradiation rate, it's just that erebite is so radioactive that some still gets through. It's the difference between dying in minutes and dying in seconds.

Tested it with some other radioactive materials, it definitely works. Seems weird that erebite is even more radioactive than the one whose defining trait is being radioactive, though.
Industrial space suits provide around 50% radiation resistance. If you want 100% radiation resistance you can get a class-II radiation suit at the faint signal and there are more hidden away in the adventure zones.
On the topic itself, I agree that plasmastone and erebite shouldn't be radioactive. It removes the one advantage they had over cerenkite and makes it needlessly difficult to work with them.
It's ridiculous how an industrial suit can weather a rad blowout completely, but leaks radiation like a broken wiregauze when it comes to ores.

The industrial suit should remain impervious to ore radiation, I feel.
(11-21-2016, 03:57 PM)Zafhset Wrote: It's ridiculous how an industrial suit can weather a rad blowout completely, but leaks radiation like a broken wiregauze when it comes to ores.

The industrial suit should remain impervious to ore radiation, I feel.

I agree completely. All this was kind of a pain in the ass, they're supposed to be radiation-resistant and if they can survive blowouts they can survive erebite

EDIT: Also yes, please unfuck erebite and plasmastone. Or at LEAST plasmastone.