Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's talk about nitroglycerin
I feel like a goon coder should take the notes on nitroglycerin already provided in this thread and sneak them into the game.

(11-19-2016, 09:47 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Words

I find it hilarious that a scientist working for NT has actually thoroughly tested raw nitroglycerin and its practical applications.

"Throwing the flamethrower filled with nitroglycerin caused it to explode, creating great risk to the research team and complaints from the engineering department"

Like maybe snuck into the biodome or something.

That said, I think a way to stabilize it into dynamite (perhaps combine a beaker of nitro and stabilizing chems with wrapping paper?, or a way to use it to cure heart problems might be useful. or even fill it into pipe bombs.
(11-21-2016, 01:44 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: I feel like a goon coder should take the notes on nitroglycerin already provided in this thread and sneak them into the game.

I find it hilarious that a scientist working for NT has actually thoroughly tested raw nitroglycerin and its practical applications.

"Throwing the flamethrower filled with nitroglycerin caused it to explode, creating great risk to the research team and complaints from the engineering department"

That said, I think a way to stabilize it into dynamite (perhaps combine a beaker of nitro and stabilizing chems with wrapping paper?, or a way to use it to cure heart problems might be useful. or even fill it into pipe bombs.
As far as i'm aware, it's already a pipe-bomb fuel. The most explosive pipe bomb you can make is an erebite pipe bomb with nitroglycerin filling
(11-23-2016, 11:10 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(11-21-2016, 01:44 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: I feel like a goon coder should take the notes on nitroglycerin already provided in this thread and sneak them into the game.

As far as i'm aware, it's already a pipe-bomb fuel. The most explosive pipe bomb you can make is an erebite pipe bomb with nitroglycerin filling

It's like an 80% chance of gibbing you when you make it, though.
only tangentially related, but are we able to make nitrocellulose with cottonballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WegYJJW2jCY

it is essentially the stuff that modern smokeless gunpowder is made of, as opposed to black powder which is present in the game, and if processed correctly it is considered much more powerful gram for gram than black powder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD6vURwCkNA
(11-25-2016, 07:25 AM)misto Wrote: only tangentially related, but are we able to make nitrocellulose with cottonballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WegYJJW2jCY

it is essentially the stuff that modern smokeless gunpowder is made of, as opposed to black powder which is present in the game, and if processed correctly it is considered much more powerful gram for gram than black powder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD6vURwCkNA

This would be pretty cool it would give nitro a reason as a way to create stronger explosive then gunpowder

But what would you use for cottonballs?
doesnt botany have a cotton fluff plant?

although im pretty sure nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin are 2 different things, higher grades of modern gunpowder do use both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMmYPAS9xB0

this chap mentions nitroglycerin thinning his blood and causing a bad headache from just a drop on his skin, so perhaps such unpleasant effects could be considered for nitroglycerin as a weaponized injectable
Put nitroglycerin in the clown car's fuel tank to make it go at super speeds

(yes I know it's not the same thing but it sounds close enough and is funny)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokeless_...provements

this part of the smokeless powder article and the bits following it may help give ideas about how nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose could be stabilized, thus nitroglycerine itself would probably be relegated to being a highly risky intermediate chem used mainly in pursuit of these stabilized powerful explosives

ether-alcohol and diphenylamine seem to be popular stabilizers. it appears that too much stabilizer weakens the resulting mixture's power, but too little of course reduces the explosive's stability and safe storage shelf life.

so, perhaps this could be translated into a fun little mini-game where your amount of stabilizer acts as a sort of "secondary fuse". you can add a very little stabilizer to ensure you have a powerful explosion at the risk of it eventually depleting in your pocket and your own bomb killing you, but it would not be a concern if you use the explosive as quick as you can after making it. conversely, you could sacrifice explosive power by adding lots of stabilizer to keep your bomb safe in your pocket for a longer period of time till the time is right to ignite it.
(11-25-2016, 03:22 PM)Arborinus Wrote: Put nitroglycerin in the clown car's fuel tank to make it go at super speeds

(yes I know it's not the same thing but it sounds close enough and is funny)

OT: Great. Now I want to stock vehicles with n2o.
The reason why nitroglycerin is in its current state is that it was too easy to stabilize reliably. The goal was always that it could only be transported reliably at the cost of severe annoyances. I'll give it some thought on how to refine it.
(11-26-2016, 12:47 PM)Marquesas Wrote: The reason why nitroglycerin is in its current state is that it was too easy to stabilize reliably. The goal was always that it could only be transported reliably at the cost of severe annoyances. I'll give it some thought on how to refine it.

Thanks Jesus
The only changes to nitro since its release have been:
1. You can't throw it safely anymore. (It does a physical shock check at both the start and impact of a throw now, instead of just the impact.)
2. You get triple the quantity on reaction. This is a leftover of some earlier scrapped balance ideas, now left in because bigger 'oops' kabooms are funny.